The Student Room Group

Never had any grandparents, am I alone on this?

Anyone else never have any grandparents? All of mine died before I was born. It hurts that none of them knew of my existence. I feel I have a whole in my life, as all my friends have at least one. They always talk how they have the coolest gran or how funny their grandad is. I feel especially resentful knowing mine were all such good people, never drank, smoked or were overweight. Founded charities, were headteachers, mayors, nurses etc. It seems so unfair that they had to die so young.

Did anyone else not have any grandparents growing up? Do you feel like you have a missing piece in your life?

Sorry for the rambling, I just suddenly feel really quite upset and need to let it out somewhere.

Scroll to see replies

I haven't even met mines lol
I had no parents or grandparents. Abandoned as a newborn on the steps of an orphanage in 1948. Never even had a name. .
Original post by Seamus123
I had no parents or grandparents. Abandoned as a newborn on the steps of an orphanage in 1948. Never even had a name. .

Oh God, Seamus. Do you at least know your date of birth? [ Please tell me you do]. x
Original post by markova21
Oh God, Seamus. Do you at least know your date of birth? [ Please tell me you do]. x

he already told you, 1948
Reply 5

That's such a tragic start. I'm sorry. I hope you had a happy later life, and have a family now.
Reply 6
Both of my granddads died before I was born. Never really felt like there was a whole in my life.
I have lots of other family like aunties and uncles and cousins that I'm close to, maybe that made up for it (as well as both my grandmothers)
I only knew my grandmother on my mum's side. For whatever reason I never really took to her that much. She died when I was about 24. I have been tracing my family tree on my father's side of the family for years now. I was born in 1967. My dad was born in 1903. He was 64 years old when I was born, and my mum 42 ! My dad already had 4 older daughters in their forties by the time I was born, from his marriage with his first wife, who died of cancer a few years before he met my mum. I have a photograph of my paternal grandmother, but not of my paternal grandfather. I wish there were such a thing as time machines, I really do. I would give anything to be able to go back in time and meet them and speak to them, finding out about their lives, etc. My paternal grandfather died in 1946 and my paternal grandmother 1951. My dad's dad was born in Ireland in January 1869, 98 years before me ! A few years ago, with the help of a professional Genealogist, I was able to stand at the exact spot where he and his siblings lived growing up as children. It was very emotional. If you ever wanted to start tracing your family tree I can tell you now, it is such a rewarding hobby.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone else never have any grandparents? All of mine died before I was born. It hurts that none of them knew of my existence. I feel I have a whole in my life, as all my friends have at least one. They always talk how they have the coolest gran or how funny their grandad is. I feel especially resentful knowing mine were all such good people, never drank, smoked or were overweight. Founded charities, were headteachers, mayors, nurses etc. It seems so unfair that they had to die so young.

Did anyone else not have any grandparents growing up? Do you feel like you have a missing piece in your life?

Sorry for the rambling, I just suddenly feel really quite upset and need to let it out somewhere.

Well on my mother's side (Turkish) they both died before I was 12, grandmother before memory and I couldn't speak their language.
Father's side, haven't seen him since I was around 13 let alone his folks aha, one lives very far away also.
I only knew my grandmother on my mum's side. For whatever reason I never really took to her that much. She died when I was about 24. I have been tracing my family tree on my father's side of the family for years now. I was born in 1967. My dad was born in 1903. He was 64 years old when I was born, and my mum 42 ! My dad already had 4 older daughters in their forties by the time I was born, from his marriage with his first wife, who died of cancer a few years before he met my mum. I have a photograph of my paternal grandmother, but not of my paternal grandfather. I wish there were such a thing as time machines, I really do. I would give anything to be able to go back in time and meet them and speak to them, finding out about their lives, etc. My dad's dad was born in Ireland in January 1869, 98 years before me ! A few years ago, with the help of a professional Genealogist, I was able to stand at the exact spot where he and his siblings lived growing up as children. It was very emotional. If you ever wanted to start tracing your family tree I can tell you now, it is such a rewarding hobby.

@markova21
I agree, it's fascinating!
Mine proved I had blue blood. But now no money!
I have aristocratic cousins. Lots of skeletons!
Goes back around 1000 years.
It's interesting, time consuming and can get expensive I loved every minute of it!

I grew up with all four grandparents. The last passing when I was 22
Original post by Sammylou40
@markova21
I agree, it's fascinating!
Mine proved I had blue blood. But now no money!
I have aristocratic cousins. Lots of skeletons!
Goes back around 1000 years.
It's interesting, time consuming and can get expensive I loved every minute of it!

I grew up with all four grandparents. The last passing when I was 22

Oh wow. How absolutely wonderful. And lovely you were able to go so far back. I'd love to take it up again where I and the Genealogist left off. But as you say, it's not cheap.
Aww, that is such a sad story and I get what you mean when you say 'you need to let it all out'. I have only seen my father's mum and dad, not my mom's side. I hope you are all right after this comment and do not worry. You can speak to a lot of people if it bothers you again.

I was born in 1948. I am nearly 70 years old. I have 7 adult children ages ranging from 45-35. I hav 16 grandchildren ages ranging from oldest 23 years old, youngest just 2 years old. I am about to go into my final year studying Criminology. And I am a woman.
I was born in 1948. I am nearly 70 years old. I have 7 adult children ages ranging from 45-35. I hav 16 grandchildren ages ranging from oldest 23 years old, youngest just 2 years old. I am about to go into my final year studying Criminology. And I am a woman.

Do you know when your birthday is? Oh and sorry, I didn't know you were female.
Do you know when your birthday is? Oh and sorry, I didn't know you were female.

I didn't know when my birthday was until I was 15 and of an age to leave the orphanage. We didn't celebrate birthdays as such in the orphanage so it was't an issue as such. Children being abandoned in those days was not an uncommon occurrence. I had no papers when the nuns found me so they gave me a name - again, until I got my birth certificate many years later, I didn't know what my birthname was. It wasn't uncommon for the nuns to change names if the given name of a child wasn't a saint's name. In any event, we weren't called by our names - we had numbers and mine was 96 and that was what you answered to. x
I didn't know when my birthday was until I was 15 and of an age to leave the orphanage. We didn't celebrate birthdays as such in the orphanage so it was't an issue as such. Children being abandoned in those days was not an uncommon occurrence. I had no papers when the nuns found me so they gave me a name - again, until I got my birth certificate many years later, I didn't know what my birthname was. It wasn't uncommon for the nuns to change names if the given name of a child wasn't a saint's name. In any event, we weren't called by our names - we had numbers and mine was 96 and that was what you answered to. x

Holy crap.
All of mine were dead many years before I was born.

It's not ideal but there's no point getting worked up about it. Besides, I have a large extended family who all get along, which I know lots of people don't have.
Original post by ILikePasta
he already told you, 1948

That's her YEAR of birth, not their date of birth. Although I'm pleased Seamus said she DOES know, it would be pretty horrible not knowing the exact day in the exact month you were born on .
I never met my maternal grandparents, but I had my paternal ones.

wtf Seamus :jumphug:my mum was in care so Idk my grandparents. One was murdered. Another was a hooker. All I know.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending