Cannot do PGCE Primary Education without GCSE C in English

Watch
MJD24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have a place to do a Primary Education PGCE for this September. I have passed the Literacy and Numeracy professional tests and finished my Physical Education Degree with a 2.2. I have GCSE's Maths C, Science C and English D. I recently failed to pass a GCSE English Equlevency test. I have Dyslexia and Aspergers meaning I struggle with spelling, handwriting, punctuation in a stressful and timed situation, I.e a handwritten exam. I was not given the option to type the answers of the exam on a computer, where I can spot the spelling and punctuation mistakes and produce better answers because this is what I used to. I am entitled to this because of my dyslexia, but this was not possible for this test. The University will not accept me on to the course without this stupid C and will not accept my level 2 functional skills as an equivalent to an English C. I have done everything else, I cannot take another gap year to get this stupid C for the second time. The first time was for the same reason before I started university, I had to take a gap year to get Cs in English and Maths, but I got a D in English and they still allowed me to do the Degree. When I left school 8 years ago level 2 functional skills was the course you did with a level 2 higher diploma and the lectures were happy what I had, when I got the functional skills. Then the change of government happened and they changed the rules making level 2 functional skills useless while doing second year Level 3 Btec, causing the first the gap year. I can write degree level essays and know how to lesson plan so why do I have to learn to handwrite for one stupid grade, which no one handwrites anything anymore and I have passed the skills tests. I have been fighting depression for years, it comes for a day and goes when I am focusing on work. This whole situation brings it back because I feel I am still not good enough. I don't want to take another gap year to get this C and I lose my student accommodation meaning I have nowhere to live. I really don't know what to do, Can you give me any advice?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Did you ask if you could use a word processor on the English equivalency test? I've never had to be involved in them but I am surprised a word processor is not allowed as it would be allowed in GCSE English Language.

However, you say no one handwrites any more. I would argue that one of the few places where accurate handwriting is required is as a primary school teacher.
Potato456
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah handwriting is required a lot as a teacher. Have you asked the uni if they do an equivilent entrance exam? Some unis do that
MJD24
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
Did you ask if you could use a word processor on the English equivalency test? I've never had to be involved in them but I am surprised a word processor is not allowed as it would be allowed in GCSE English Language.

However, you say no one handwrites any more. I would argue that one of the few places where accurate handwriting is required is as a primary school teacher.
I did ask if I can use word processor for the exam and answer was it is not possible,
ckfeister
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Then get a C in GCSE English.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads