Too many confusing love for sex?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So when I was growing up as a teenager, you dated somebody for 6-12 months before having sex with them. A lot of people I knew waited up to 2 years. If you were underage it was shameful and generally, sex was not spoken about.

I was talking to my younger cousin the other day (age 17) and all her friends have at least 2 children (age 17) to more than one father. One has 3 children to 3 fathers.I was initially shocked and just thought my cousin hung around with shall we say 'gullible' teens. I asked my friends about their younger siblings and all of my friends had at least one pregnant sibling and/or a sibling with a child. Not one of my friends had a child before the age of 20.

Then my cousin started talking about 'Love' Island. She described the show as 'Where people basically act like animals and claim to be in love'. Going on to say everybody sleeps with everybody these days and everybody is everybody's ex. Which I thought was laughable, until I remembered about her many friends with many children to many fathers. She also mentioned shows like 'take me out' where women are chosen based on looks and go abroad on a first date. Wow.
Then there's this whole Instagram and snap chat world encouraging girls to be sexy. Followed by the extreme fitness epidemic and rise in plastic surgery.

Are shows like this encouraging young and potentially underage girls to sleep about? and are we telling them that this behavior is ok?
A feminist would probably say that it is the girls choice. But the law is there for a reason and even at the legal age, acting in this way could lead to very dangerous outcomes.
LostYouth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So when I was growing up as a teenager, you dated somebody for 6-12 months before having sex with them. A lot of people I knew waited up to 2 years. If you were underage it was shameful and generally, sex was not spoken about.

I was talking to my younger cousin the other day (age 17) and all her friends have at least 2 children (age 17) to more than one father. One has 3 children to 3 fathers.I was initially shocked and just thought my cousin hung around with shall we say 'gullible' teens. I asked my friends about their younger siblings and all of my friends had at least one pregnant sibling and/or a sibling with a child. Not one of my friends had a child before the age of 20.

Then my cousin started talking about 'Love' Island. She described the show as 'Where people basically act like animals and claim to be in love'. Going on to say everybody sleeps with everybody these days and everybody is everybody's ex. Which I thought was laughable, until I remembered about her many friends with many children to many fathers. She also mentioned shows like 'take me out' where women are chosen based on looks and go abroad on a first date. Wow.
Then there's this whole Instagram and snap chat world encouraging girls to be sexy. Followed by the extreme fitness epidemic and rise in plastic surgery.

Are shows like this encouraging young and potentially underage girls to sleep about? and are we telling them that this behavior is ok?
A feminist would probably say that it is the girls choice. But the law is there for a reason and even at the legal age, acting in this way could lead to very dangerous outcomes.
I think human beings are getting closer to a state of fully exploring and embracing their sexual nature. You need to bear in mind that, as a species, we are quite unique in that we have systemically promulgated monogamy and other unnatural practices for centuries. People's sexual desires and natural proclivities have been repressed throughout much of our development—whether by subjugating women and fostering a culture of taboo around their sexuality, or by prohibiting homosexual relationships. Because of the historical influence of the Church (here used to refer to both the Catholic Church and, after 1534, the Church of England), much of British society's attitudes towards sex and sexuality have been shaped by Biblical teachings which prohibit—among other things—fornication, adultery, lust, and homosexuality. However, when you look at other species in the animal kingdom, e.g. chimpanzees, you see that monogamy isn't really a thing for them: for males, the objective is to mate with as many partners as possible; and for females, the objective is to find the best male mates with genetic advantages to procreate with. What you have, then, is a scenario whereby chimpanzees just hump around without as many boundaries as we tend to have. But because liberal values have, for some time now, been gradually influencing much of our legislation and general attitude towards sex, sexuality, reproduction, etc., we are starting to see a departure from the traditional norms. Since the 1960s, when the contraceptive pill was available for mass consumption, we've seen a rise in the number of having casual sex before or indeed during marriage. Furthermore, the emancipation of women through various statutes relating to education, divorce, abortion, etc., has significantly reduced their dependance on men as well as the stigma attached to pre-marital sex, infidelity, etc. Then you have gay and transgender rights and all the strides we've made, as a society, towards recognising them as equal people worthy of equal rights and freedoms. All of this, compounded with a significant decline in the influence of Christian teachings on society in general, has resulted in people having sex earlier in life, having sex with lots of different people, having sex more in general, and having more sex for pleasure than as a means to an end. It is no wonder, then, that TV shows like Love Island are: a) allowed on air; and b) hugely popular—they resonate with the spirit of our generation and glamourise our innermost desires as people. If things continue the way they are going, people will start having sex earlier and with a wider variety of sexual partners. That'll soon become perfectly normal, and encouraged.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (143)
42.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.33%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.43%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.95%

Watched Threads