Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SBizzy)
How do I learn all the French tenses?
Can you please be more precise?

If you are struggling with conjugations, then please give a list of the tenses you are trying to master. You are not required to know "all" the French tenses for GCSE but you may, of course, be working towards a different exam.

If you are struggling with the use of tenses, then again, please say which tenses in particular are bothering you.
Reality Check
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You're GCSE level - you don't need to learn 'all the tenses'. For instance, you'll probably manage to do without the imperfect subjuctive...

Verbs are generally learnt in groups called paradigms - it's a way of grouping them to make them easier to learn. Some verbs are important to know well in several tenses - avoir and être are the obvious examples.

Are you struggling with particular tenses, or is this a more general enquiry about learning verbs?
SBizzy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
Can you please be more precise?

If you are struggling with conjugations, then please give a list of the tenses you are trying to master. You are not required to know "all" the French tenses for GCSE but you may, of course, be working towards a different exam.

If you are struggling with the use of tenses, then again, please say which tenses in particular are bothering you.
I need help with the verbs like avoir and etre, and the others because i keep forgetting them
SBizzy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
You're GCSE level - you don't need to learn 'all the tenses'. For instance, you'll probably manage to do without the imperfect subjuctive...

Verbs are generally learnt in groups called paradigms - it's a way of grouping them to make them easier to learn. Some verbs are important to know well in several tenses - avoir and être are the obvious examples.

Are you struggling with particular tenses, or is this a more general enquiry about learning verbs?
O
Im struggling with most of the tenses, for example past participle
SBizzy
Rep:
?
What websites or apps would you recommend me to use, while learning the french tenses?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
O
Im struggling with most of the tenses, for example past participle
Just to note the past participle isn't a tense...

I think you need a decent grammar book to show you the verb tables laid out. It's not really realistic to help you over TSR. For instance, I could tell you that regular -er verbs form their present tense with stem + -e, -es, -e, -ons, -ez, -ent but I don't think that'a actually going to help you learn them.

A lot of this is drilling - that means learning the endings and then practising them by inflecting the verbs correctly in sample sentences. For this, you need a good grammar book with practice exercises, or a separate grammar outlines book.

There are also very common irregular verbs - some of these are less irregular than you think and have a discernible pattern (or at least can be grouped). Others have totally irregular parts and just have to be learnt.
SBizzy
Rep:
?
Just to note the past participle isn't a tense...

I think you need a decent grammar book to show you the verb tables laid out. It's not really realistic to help you over TSR. For instance, I could tell you that regular -er verbs form their present tense with stem + -e, -es, -e, -ons, -ez, -ent but I don't think that'a actually going to help you learn them.

A lot of this is drilling - that means learning the endings and then practising them by inflecting the verbs correctly in sample sentences. For this, you need a good grammar book with practice exercises, or a separate grammar outlines book.

There are also very common irregular verbs - some of these are less irregular than you think and have a discernible pattern (or at least can be grouped). Others have totally irregular parts and just have to be learnt.
Is there any websites that could help me learn the tenses?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there any websites that could help me learn the tenses?
Have you looked at BBC Bitesize? Or Duolingo?
SBizzy
Rep:
?
Have you looked at BBC Bitesize? Or Duolingo?
Do you have a linguascope account? Is duolingo a good website?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have a linguascope account? Is duolingo a good website?
I'm a bit too advanced for websites for those, but I hear that duolingo in particular seems to be very popular. Maybe worth a look.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (61)
15.17%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (39)
9.7%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (76)
18.91%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (59)
14.68%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (44)
10.95%
How can I be the best version of myself? (123)
30.6%

Watched Threads