The Student Room Group

Free Choice of Laptop?

Heyyy.
I have my Study Needs Assessment on Friday, and was just wondering if any deaf/hearing impaired students know what to expect and what equipment is offered, which I refused all throughout school and college :colondollar:

Also, in terms of getting a new laptop, and paying £200 towards it, can you choose any laptop you want as long as you justify the choice? I was looking a Windows Surface which seems excellent for students, but the newest versions are quite expensive.
Original post by melodyisamarvel
Heyyy.
I have my Study Needs Assessment on Friday, and was just wondering if any deaf/hearing impaired students know what to expect and what equipment is offered, which I refused all throughout school and college :colondollar:

Also, in terms of getting a new laptop, and paying £200 towards it, can you choose any laptop you want as long as you justify the choice? I was looking a Windows Surface which seems excellent for students, but the newest versions are quite expensive.

If your only impairment is hearing I'd make the argument that a surface device is ideal because the screen ratio of 3:2 allows space underneath any 16:9 video content for closed captions without obscuring the video content itself.
Reply 2
Original post by BigYoSpeck
If your only impairment is hearing I'd make the argument that a surface device is ideal because the screen ratio of 3:2 allows space underneath any 16:9 video content for closed captions without obscuring the video content itself.

Good point :smile: There's loads of things it could help with like recording lectures so I can look back later in case I miss anything said, I'd rather have a laptop to take notes faster than paper so I can concentrate on what's being said etc I'm good at justifying :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by melodyisamarvel
Good point :smile: There's loads of things it could help with like recording lectures so I can look back later in case I miss anything said, I'd rather have a laptop to take notes faster than paper so I can concentrate on what's being said etc I'm good at justifying :biggrin::biggrin:

A note taker would be another option?

They will only give you what they think you need and not what you want. But there's nothing to stop you paying for your own upgrade.
Reply 4
Windows Touch has a lot of capabilities for the hearing impaired, like reading out texts. The bit about the caption too. Also having a pen is incredibly important for students, specially if you're hearing impaired, it will allow you to annotate lecture notes and so on without having to listen back to the lecture.
Reply 5
You don't have to justify which laptop you want, as such. The agreement letter from your funding body will tell you what to do if you wish to purchase your own laptop. Follow their instructions carefully and don't go out and buy a laptop until you have their agreement.

It'll need to be of a suitable spec to run any assistive tech software that's recommended for you and you will need to pay the standard £200 + any additional cost over the price of the agreed item. EG agreed laptop is £300 - you pay £200, SFE (if this is your funding body) pay the other £100. Your chosen laptop is £500. SFE will pay £100 as before, you pay £400.

Hope that helps.
I am hearing impaired. I got a laptop, a printer, a dictaphone, a hearing enhancer for lectures (they wear it around their neck, and you wear one over yours and switch hearing aid to T, I think?!) I haven't used it, so not 100% sure. Lastly, I got a notetaker for lectures. I was not able to choose my own laptop, they chose the supplier and I got it based upon their decision. This was about 3 years ago so it has been a while! It may be different now.
Reply 7
get a iPad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending