The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Was Warwick open for adjustment last year? - Engineering

Hi!

Just wondering if there were any students that got in through adjustment (or clearing even) into the Computer Systems Engineering course at Warwick last year? Or even aware if they were open for adjustment/clearing?

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Not every Engineering degree was. For instance, the MEng degree in CS wasn't in adjustment, neither was CSE, but I think a few others were. But I wouldn't recommend Warwick for Engineering, especially if you think you have the entry grades for it. Try somewhere better.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by Computer Geek
Not every Engineering degree was. For instance, the MEng degree in CS wasn't in adjustment, neither was CSE, but I think a few others were. But I wouldn't recommend Warwick for Engineering, especially if you think you have the entry grades for it. Try somewhere better.

What's wrong with Warwick for engineering?

Interesting. I was under the assumption that Warwick/Bath etc was one of the best universities to study engineering at!
Original post by chocolatedonut
Hi!

Just wondering if there were any students that got in through adjustment (or clearing even) into the Computer Systems Engineering course at Warwick last year? Or even aware if they were open for adjustment/clearing?

Thanks

Warwick is open for adjustment/clearing this year
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/results/clearing/engineering
Not sure about last year.
Original post by bobby147
Warwick is open for adjustment/clearing this year
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/study/results/clearing/engineering
Not sure about last year.

Thanks!
Original post by Smack
What's wrong with Warwick for engineering?

Not well known in industry by any stretch of the imagination. Don't get me wrong, I study at the university, it's just Engineering is considered one of the worst departments at the university and from what I heard, they were recently having trouble with course accreditation, which while isn't too important, still is a cause for concern.

You'll probably still learn nearly everything there is to know about 21st century Engineering at Warwick. However, there is no reason to think that Warwick could possibly compete with the likes of Imperial College, Southampton, Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Bath etc. , some of which even offer the same entry requirements. This is in stark contrast to the other departments at Warwick, like the Maths Institute, WBS, Economics etc. who have demonstrated world leading reputation.
Interesting. I was under the assumption that Warwick/Bath etc was one of the best universities to study engineering at!

Bath yes, Warwick no. You'll end up regretting it if you chose the latter, so I'd make a more informed decision about it.
Not well known in industry by any stretch of the imagination. Don't get me wrong, I study at the university, it's just Engineering is considered one of the worst departments at the university and from what I heard, they were recently having trouble with course accreditation, which while isn't too important, still is a cause for concern.

You'll probably still learn nearly everything there is to know about 21st century Engineering at Warwick. However, there is no reason to think that Warwick could possibly compete with the likes of Imperial College, Southampton, Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester, Bath etc. , some of which even offer the same entry requirements. This is in stark contrast to the other departments at Warwick, like the Maths Institute, WBS, Economics etc. who have demonstrated world leading reputation.

I did notice that their BEng/MEng CSE program was not accredited by the IET/Engineering Council... Thanks for bringing that up!

I'll definitely look at some more universities.
I did notice that their BEng/MEng CSE program was not accredited by the IET/Engineering Council... Thanks for bringing that up!

CSE is offered as a joint degree between the Department of Computer Science and the School of Engineering. I'd say that CSE is less reputable than pure CS, even if you wanna become a Computer Engineer. You learn a lot of low level stuff in pure CS, like how to form circuits out of logic gates, tri-state logic, transistors, CPU theory like the fetch-decode-execute cycle. It's so much like Engineering at Warwick that the masters in CS is actually a MEng, and not an MSc. Just worth thinking about.
CSE is offered as a joint degree between the Department of Computer Science and the School of Engineering. I'd say that CSE is less reputable than pure CS, even if you wanna become a Computer Engineer. You learn a lot of low level stuff in pure CS, like how to form circuits out of logic gates, tri-state logic, transistors, CPU theory like the fetch-decode-execute cycle. It's so much like Engineering at Warwick that the masters in CS is actually a MEng, and not an MSc. Just worth thinking about.

Thanks!

Okay, thanks for your reply. I don't have a horse in this race as I already have my degree. I have heard that Warwick isn't great for engineering a few times on this site. It's not something I know much about as I don't know much about English (or Welsh or Northern Irish) universities. Just keen to get a bit more info, and to see if the criticism is valid.
Original post by Smack
Just keen to get a bit more info, and to see if the criticism is valid.

Me too. @Doonesbury - can I trouble you to ask what are your thoughts on this?
Reply 13
Original post by Reality Check

Unfortunately I don't have direct experience to confirm or deny. It was one of my son's offers but I never visited it, and it didn't make the firm/insurance choice.

It might be worth drilling into the NSS (National Student Survey).

Warwick overall earned a Silver in TEF which shows room for some improvement... but doesn't highlight specific courses.

Tagging @Muttley79 for their view :smile:

Warwick isn't even that much of a 'well-known' university, it's very new on the market. Obviously it's great as shown through league tables and thecompleteuniversityguide, which by the way ranks general engineering 8th, above the likes of Southampton, Exeter and Bath.

Please don't take a degree that isn't accredited as you won't get Chartered status. If you want to go into Industry as an Engineer then I'd look at a course with a year in industry and good Formula Student team [that means they have good practical equipment and facilities].

Look at Brookes, Loughborough, Bath ... RG uni tend to have very theoretical courses. I've had ex-students who went to, for example, Brookes walk into a job requiring experience [ie getting in on the second rung] because they can show ability to complete a practical project to a high standard,
Original post by Reality Check

My own thoughts are that, certainly, those who study or have studied at the university are best placed to advise on the quality of said university. However, there sometimes can be a bit too much focus on the name of the university and how they think it is perceived amongst others, presumably including those who are in a position to be involved with the hiring of graduates. But generally, professionals don't religiously follow league tables and won't really be aware of whatever university is placed where.

And to be more engineering specific, the degree is only really the beginning of your learning. Much of the knowledge and information you learn during your career will be learned on the job. Some universities focus on more specific areas (e.g automotive); this is worth investigating, as it can be quite useful if your university has a focus on what you want to go into after graduating, but I don't think that it's worthwhile being too fussed about league tables etc.
Reply 17
Original post by Muttley79
Please don't take a degree that isn't accredited as you won't get Chartered status. If you want to go into Industry as an Engineer then I'd look at a course with a year in industry and good Formula Student team [that means they have good practical equipment and facilities].

Look at Brookes, Loughborough, Bath ... RG uni tend to have very theoretical courses. I've had ex-students who went to, for example, Brookes walk into a job requiring experience [ie getting in on the second rung] because they can show ability to complete a practical project to a high standard,

Hmm, I thought you might have specific inside gen on Warwick?

They do have FS - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/eng/meng/warwickracing/fs/
They do have a sandwich year http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/eng/study/ug/faq/#intercalated
You can get Chartership without an accredited course, but it's a bit more complicated. But I'm pretty confident Warwick will be fine getting accreditations renewed anyway.

And don't forget Warwick is in partnership with Dyson for their degree apprenticeship
https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/education/prof-ed/undergraduate/dyson/
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Warwick isn't even that much of a 'well-known' university, it's very new on the market. Obviously it's great as shown through league tables and thecompleteuniversityguide, which by the way ranks general engineering 8th, above the likes of Southampton, Exeter and Bath.

I don't think you understand the market then, because Warwick is definitely known for some of its courses. It might be a new university, but it's easily comparable to UCL, Durham, Edinburgh and the like.

Go to any Investment Bank/FinTech/Financial Institution in the UK and they will have heard of Warwick and its good calibre of graduates, however when you go to the likes of Rolls Royce/Dyson/Exxon Mobil, they probably don't have anything to say which distinguishes Warwick Engineering graduates from regular graduates.
Original post by Doonesbury
Hmm, I thought you might have specific inside gen on Warwick?

They do have FS - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/eng/meng/warwickracing/fs/
They do have a sandwich year http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/eng/study/ug/faq/#intercalated
You can get Chartership without an accredited course, but it's a bit more complicated. But I'm pretty confident Warwick will be fine getting accreditations renewed anyway.

And don't forget Warwick is in partnership with Dyson for their degree apprenticeship
https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/education/prof-ed/undergraduate/dyson/

It's not popular or sought after for Engineering - Maths and MORSE, yes but not those courses. The advice is to do an IMechE accredited course and I'd avoid any other - why risk it?

Quick Reply

Latest