The Student Room Group

Architecture 2018 Entry

Hey guys, wierdly enough there was no such thread yet, so here it is!

As I am a reapplicant, you can believe me when I say that we will need each other's support and unwavering passion to go through this year. This thread sould serve as a supporting community in times of distress and as a channel of instant help in cases of confusion.

To get a grip of everyone's situation, here's a small introduction-form:

Which unis do you plan to apply to?
- Cambridge for sure, maybe UCL (bad memories though). No idea about the others yet.

What are your grades/predicted grades?
- I have six 5s (highest grade in my country) in subjects: Standard level: Hungarian grammar and lit, history, maths, art history, ethics and morality. Higher level: english, further maths

Where are you from?
- Hungary

Any further information you may think is necessary for us to know.
- I am a certified ceramist.

Can't wait to get to know you all!

Scroll to see replies

I've popped this into the Architecture and the Built Environment forum and stickied it.
hello :smile:

My choices so far are Glasgow School of Art, Strathclyde and Edinburgh.

Subjects:
Standard level: polish, maths and english
Higher level: maths, physics and english

As you can guess I am from Poland :smile:
Original post by Marysiaaa
hello :smile:

My choices so far are Glasgow School of Art, Strathclyde and Edinburgh.

Subjects:
Standard level: polish, maths and english
Higher level: maths, physics and english

As you can guess I am from Poland :smile:

Hi, another EU applicant!

Good choices, had them last year. Strathclyde admissions are incredibly kind!

But be prepared that you have to perform twice as well as the rest of the applicants, as you are from an EU country. Scotland has a cap for EU students, and from my school more people got accepted to Oxford than to Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by GrétaPanna
Hi, another EU applicant!

Good choices, had them last year. Strathclyde admissions are incredibly kind!

But be prepared that you have to perform twice as well as the rest of the applicants, as you are from an EU country. Scotland has a cap for EU students, and from my school more people got accepted to Oxford than to Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your advice. I will bear that in mind 😊
Reply 5
I'm a UK student and I'm applying to study architecture. The 5 universities I'm applying to are Newcastle Uni, Loughborough Uni, Bournemouth Arts, Norwich and Sheffield Hallam. I will pick one of the first 3 for my first choice and one of the last 2 as my insurance. My first choice university is Newcastle. I currently study biology, chemistry and art & design. Predicted either AAB or ABB.
Original post by fionn273
I'm a UK student and I'm applying to study architecture. The 5 universities I'm applying to are Newcastle Uni, Loughborough Uni, Bournemouth Arts, Norwich and Sheffield Hallam. I will pick one of the first 3 for my first choice and one of the last 2 as my insurance. My first choice university is Newcastle. I currently study biology, chemistry and art & design. Predicted either AAB or ABB.

Nice to meet you! Newcastle is certainly on my list too :smile: How is your UCAS going? I'm struggling with the ps :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Nice to meet you! Newcastle is certainly on my list too :smile: How is your UCAS going? I'm struggling with the ps :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personal statement is horrible! I'm not enjoying it at all! I think for a subject like this it's mainly about showing passion
Personal statement is horrible! I'm not enjoying it at all! I think for a subject like this it's mainly about showing passion

I try to base it on a philosophical point of view, but it's a disaster yet. Good luck with it! I hope to finish mine for the 15th of this month. I also have so much to do for my portfolio... I almost forgot how overwhelming the process can be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I try to base it on a philosophical point of view, but it's a disaster yet. Good luck with it! I hope to finish mine for the 15th of this month. I also have so much to do for my portfolio... I almost forgot how overwhelming the process can be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went to an open day and the people there said that the portfolio really isn't a big deal, it's just to know you have some artistic ability and an understanding of space. Work you've already done that you're proud of should go in - my problem is narrowing it down! Remember this is one of the degrees where they don't really expect you to know anything yet, they just expect you to have an interest and some logical and creative skills.
I went to an open day and the people there said that the portfolio really isn't a big deal, it's just to know you have some artistic ability and an understanding of space. Work you've already done that you're proud of should go in - my problem is narrowing it down! Remember this is one of the degrees where they don't really expect you to know anything yet, they just expect you to have an interest and some logical and creative skills.

Sure, but I will be a reapplicant to Cambridge, so I guess they would expect me to improve myself. Also, I come from the best art school in my country, it would seem wierd not to make the most of my best opportunity to convince them. Art is without doubt my strongest side and I am ought to show it.

However, I really neglected English, so my writing and speaking skills are as rusty as ever.... that's why I'm here struggling with the stupid ps, despite the fact that I've already written one before.

What will you put in your portfolio? Anything 3D? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As I am a reapplicant, you can believe me when I say that we will need each other's support and unwavering passion to go through this year. This thread sould serve as a supporting community in times of distress and as a channel of instant help in cases of confusion.

- Cambridge for sure, maybe UCL (bad memories though). No idea about the others yet.

- I have six 5s (highest grade in my country) in subjects: Standard level: Hungarian grammar and lit, history, maths, art history, ethics and morality. Higher level: english, further maths

Where are you from?
- Hungary

Hey!!

Cambridge has always been THE dream uni to me, but not personally reachable. But only recently, VERY recently aka today lol, I realised you know what, if I meet the requirements, then why on earth not. You miss 100% of the chances you don't take and all LOL And so here I am ! i hope we can be each other support and anchors, I'll be referring here for everything along the way - nice to meet you all!

I plan to apply to: UCL, CAMB, Cardiff, Sheffield these are my solids so far.
Grades: GCSE: 2A*, 4A, 4B,
A-levels: A*A*A (I'm hoping!) (Fine art, Digital Graphics and Modern History)
Other Info: Actually, I'm a repeat student, I failed my first year at sixth form and had to repeat the whole year. So if I can do this, so can you!

LET'S BE FRIENDS OKAY cri
Original post by Saf5238
Hey!!

Cambridge has always been THE dream uni to me, but not personally reachable. But only recently, VERY recently aka today lol, I realised you know what, if I meet the requirements, then why on earth not. You miss 100% of the chances you don't take and all LOL And so here I am ! i hope we can be each other support and anchors, I'll be referring here for everything along the way - nice to meet you all!

I plan to apply to: UCL, CAMB, Cardiff, Sheffield these are my solids so far.
Grades: GCSE: 2A*, 4A, 4B,
A-levels: A*A*A (I'm hoping!) (Fine art, Digital Graphics and Modern History)
Other Info: Actually, I'm a repeat student, I failed my first year at sixth form and had to repeat the whole year. So if I can do this, so can you!

LET'S BE FRIENDS OKAY cri

Nice to meet you, so I have a mate in destiny, let's get torn apart by Cam! (Jk, they are the most polite admissions crew ever)

SURE THING do not cri
Nice to meet you, so I have a mate in destiny, let's get torn apart by Cam! (Jk, they are the most polite admissions crew ever)

SURE THING do not cri

Yes, it's actually one of the (many) things that attracts me so much to camb to start with..They're just so down-to-earth!

Since choosing to apply here has been such a last minute decision, I'm wondering if I will have the time to pull everything together before the deadline...I have yet to start my PS and portfolio...ekk!! Since you're a re-applicant, do you have any advise for me to calm my nerves?
Original post by Saf5238
Yes, it's actually one of the (many) things that attracts me so much to camb to start with..They're just so down-to-earth!

Since choosing to apply here has been such a last minute decision, I'm wondering if I will have the time to pull everything together before the deadline...I have yet to start my PS and portfolio...ekk!! Since you're a re-applicant, do you have any advise for me to calm my nerves?

I'm in Milano rn (envy me, it's gorgeous) but as soon as I get back home (tomorrow) I'll craft a brief conclusion of my experience! Ciao :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in Milano rn (envy me, it's gorgeous) but as soon as I get back home (tomorrow) I'll craft a brief conclusion of my experience! Ciao :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woooowww sending rays of heavy envy your way, enjoy the architecture!!! Did you get a chance to visit the cathedral???? I WAS SUPPOSED TO BE AT THE UCL OPEN DAY TODAY BUT ISSUES HAPPENED JSBDJDBDKSBDKDBDK
Reply 16

Where are you from?
- Hungary

Hello,

I am also a reapplicant with bad memories from UCL! Had to wait until the last day for them to respond with a rejection, not sure if I'm prepared to go through the whole task and interview once again. Other than that, I'm applying to:

- Cardiff
- UCL (most likely)
- Nottingham
- Kent
- Oxford Brookes (insurance possibly)
Original post by Saf5238

Sorry for being waaay too late with this!!! So here is my story - and I do want to emphasize that this is my individual opinion/experience.

I am an EU applicant, and this resulted in me getting rejected from both Edinburgh and Glasgow SOFA. I faced many issues with these two applications. First of all, Edinburgh doesn't ask for a portfolio and neither does interviews, so all they have about you as a person is the ps and the ref. In my opinion this method is ********. They also seem to mostly rely on your grades, which sucked for me, because at the time of my application the website said that for my qualification the entry requirement was:
HL:5,5;
SL: 5,5,5.
I have four SL fives, and a ceramist qualification with grade 5. I got rejected and the website updated the requirement for three HLs. Which is insane and shows how much they don't understand our educational system.

Glasgow sofa asks for portfolios, but on a website owned by them, where only extremely low resolution pics can be uploaded, which means two things:
- I had to edit all of my already existing photos so that they would fit.
- They only surf through them, not really paying attention.
On the other hand, Glasgow also does interviews and they enable international students to do skype interviews, which is very considerate.

My third Scottish choice was Strathclyde and I had a very positive experience with them: they asked for a portfolio in the format of a slide, so I had a relatively free hand. Their admission office was very kind and helpful. I got an offer from them, but chose not to accept. I didn't want to apply to neither Glasgow sofa nor Strathclyde, I only did so cuz my mom wanted me to. But if you do like Strathclyde, I absolutaley recommend it.

All in all: if Scottland doesn't have the money to finance all eligible EU students, then don't promote it: I would rather take the loan and get accepted, than the other way around.

UCL was the worst experience for me. I applied in October, got invited to interview in December, interviewed in February and got rejected on the very last day (31th of March if I remember well). Many who interviewed waaay later than me got rejected/accepted before me.

They also turned the knife by sending a generic feedback on Track: it said that I got rejected cuz my portfolio was weak, while at the interview they even asked why I didn't apply for fine art instead, since I had such an amazing and diverse portfolio...

On the positive side, the Bartlett task was refreshing, their new facility is to die for (seriously a dream come true !!!!!) and of course, it's in London (which is great but also quite expensive..). I also felt much more relaxed than I did in Cambridge, since I didn't feel the pressure to express myself with perfect grammar (the interviewer spoke it less than me?).

And at last: Cambridge. Many complain about the course not being practical enough. It certainly doesn't concentrate on design as much as other unis do, but this is what attracts me. I am extremely interested in theory/philosophy of Architecture and Cam is the best place to study that. I'll have plenty of time to practice while working. And I doubt that anyone would have trouble getting a job with a Cam degree. ALSO, what many forget: Cambridge is very much about making connections, and connections are the most important in our world rn (more important than where your degree comes from).

My personal interview experience reflected the spirit of Cam: having provided accomodation and in-hall meals, a community on applicants was immediately formed, we had time to bond, it wasn't just about studystudystudy. It was more about experiencing the athmosphere. Cam has to do this, you have to fall in love with place so that you don't get scared off. :biggrin:

Cambridge, as a town is super cool for an Architecture student, though it may seem small for those coming from large cities.

My absolute fav was Cam, because they aren't only strict and demanding with the students/applicants, but also with themselves. If they say the decision arrives on the 12th of Jan, then it will. I am procrastinating enough on my own, I want my future uni to give my structure. UCL does not.

My ultimate advice is to
- listen to your heart and don't apply to places you don't like just for our parents' sake
- make the most of your ps and portfolio, don't think either of them doesn' have weight
- create in many techniques, including anything 3D (important!!!) and add something unique
- have passion, read literature of all kind (books, magazines, blogs etc.)
- explore subfields and focus on the most suitable ones
- have fun, enjoy the process, make friends (I admit that this is the hardest bullet point, but trust me on this one)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lartof
Hello,

I am also a reapplicant with bad memories from UCL! Had to wait until the last day for them to respond with a rejection, not sure if I'm prepared to go through the whole task and interview once again. Other than that, I'm applying to:

- Cardiff
- UCL (most likely)
- Nottingham
- Kent
- Oxford Brookes (insurance possibly)

I had the same!!! And I hate them so much for what they did to me, for how they played with my emotions. But I guess I will apply again, cuz I've also fallen in love with the facility, it's atmosphere and the mindset of the teachers (other than to postponing).

I think Cardiff will be on my list too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Planning to apply to:
-UCL (firm choice, duh XD)
-Sheffield (my second choice as I love their accommodations, diversity, and the city itself)
-Nottingham
-Liverpool (Maaaaaaaybe, I keep changing my mind about this uni like every week or so)
-Kent or Oxford Brookes (insurance)

Grades:
I'm a second-year college student studying BTEC L3 Graphic Design/Photography.
Predicted Grades: D*D*D or D*D*D*
I've done some IGCSEs, GCSEs, and as well as BTEC L2 Art & Design

Nationality:
Japanese/Polish, tho been living in the UK for nearly 2 years.

Additional info:
Almost done with the personal statement but haven't even started building my portfolio yet T.T My college wants me to send off my UCAS by the end of October, if not earlier, ughh. So many things to do but so little time. The portfolio is the most exciting part for me tho, srsly can't wait to finish off my PS and start building a ''stellar'' portfolio XD. How's everyone doing with their application so far?

Quick Reply

Latest