The Student Room Group

PGCE non QTS vs MA

I would really appreciate your advice as I am a bit confused. I have QTS but got it automatically as an EU teacher (no assessment). I want to teach early years and although I have a teaching licence, I have no classroom teaching experience in the UK. To gain it, I am currently doing a Montessori course which includes teaching placement.My plan is to teach in an international school so I am thinking of getting a postgraduate qualification but I don't know if it is more useful to do PGCE (non QTS) which is offered by University of East London (I can't do traditional pgce as I already have qts), or is it better to do MA Early Years? UCL offers a really interesting course. Please let me know what you think. I am currently studying towards another MA at KCL.
Reply 1
You don't necessarily need a postgraduate qualification to teach in international schools (many do, but it's not compulsory).
If you already will have an MA (albeit in another field) then it could be useful to diversify by taking the PGCE, which will show you are au fait with British teaching methods.
Thank you for your reply. My MA will be in TESOL (teaching English to speakers of other languages) from a Russell group university. It is still in education but not in the same field. I am not a native speaker and I feel that I need to get more qualifications to be employable..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending