The Student Room Group

would a very high UMS on all A level modules outshine the fact that I'm resitting A2

Hi, I heard that universities don't like to accept students who retook a year without having extenuating circumstances (me). Would a high (close to 100) UMS on all retaken A2 modules and a high ukcat (850+) make up for the fact that I'm resitting a year, when applying to russel group uni's? Or is it truly over for me..
Reply 1
Original post by ILOG
Hi, I heard that universities don't like to accept students who retook a year without having extenuating circumstances (me). Would a high (close to 100) UMS on all retaken A2 modules and a high ukcat (850+) make up for the fact that I'm resitting a year, when applying to russel group uni's? Or is it truly over for me..

Most universities aren't interested in your UMS anyway. And if a specific university states it doesn't like resits except for ECs then that's that.
Reply 2
Original post by ILOG

Exeter and Liverpool don't mind resits I believe. Also UEA
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
Most universities aren't interested in your UMS anyway. And if a specific university states it doesn't like resits except for ECs then that's that.

Do universities only reject retakes for medical degrees or is it for any degree?
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury

Yeah sadly most of the medical selection procedure is like a checklist. So if the entry requirement is AAA, and you get A*A*A*, you will still only check that one box for grades.

So it's important that you research and find which unis accept resits otherwise you'll be wasting your application!

Good Luck :smile:
Original post by Desmos
Do universities only reject retakes for medical degrees or is it for any degree?

Mostly medics and top 5 unis
Reply 6
Original post by Desmos

It entirely depends on the university and sometimes the course, and what you are retaking.

Cambridge, for example, is fine with 1 or 2 modules being retaken, but more than that without ECs will be a problem.
Reply 7
Original post by panda66
Yeah sadly most of the medical selection procedure is like a checklist. So if the entry requirement is AAA, and you get A*A*A*, you will still only check that one box for grades.

So it's important that you research and find which unis accept resits otherwise you'll be wasting your application!

Good Luck :smile:

It's not me that needs the luck :wink:
Original post by Desmos

Resits at AS are fine (modular of course - no point re-taking linear AS exams!).

Quick Reply

Latest