The Student Room Group

A Level Government & Poltics

Is A Level Government & Politcs any good? Would you recommend?
Original post by Milooo275

I studied it and i enjoyed it. It depends what you're interested in and whether or not you're interested in UK/US politics
Reply 2
Original post by Boredom101
I studied it and i enjoyed it. It depends what you're interested in and whether or not you're interested in UK/US politics

Looked into the course and looks interesting... don't know much about politics, so would like to learn more... tell me, would you say it's a good A Level to have (like is it considered quite high up for unis)?
Looked into the course and looks interesting... don't know much about politics, so would like to learn more... tell me, would you say it's a good A Level to have (like is it considered quite high up for unis)?

If I'm honest it depends on the course you want to study in university and whether or not you choose to study subjects that are chosen by the majority of people e.g Biology, Chemisty etc. Do A subject that you enjoy! If you're interested in political views then do politics other than that if you're looking for a subject that involves essay writing and isn't entirely based on political views (however you will encounter some politics) I suggest you do choose History.

it's a really interesting subject but it's content based. so unlike maths, chemistry and physics, you'll have to know all your stuff for politics in order to score the top marks. you cannot wink it. some of the other problems with politics as a subject are

1) the current textbooks are outdated for a few years now and the new editions will only be out at the end of next year

2) till today, no one on this forum has shown us with real examples and/or marked scripts as to how to answer the various marker questions

3) the politics section on this forum only comes alive a week before the actual politics exams. it's too late by then to be clearing doubts, asking questions and getting help. no one will actually bother. even if they did, they will not do it in a thorough manner because they too need to revise for the exam as well.

So if you want to do politics at A-levels then ensure that your teacher is good and that he/she will be able to support you throughout your course. This is one subject you cannot self-study. The bigger picture is to gain the top marks so the sooner you are taught the techniques to getting that top grade when answering the various marker questions and the quicker you master them then success is inevitable.
Reply 5
I would recommend History if your school offers a mix of Modern UK and Modern USA (similar to the structure of A-level politics)

Otherwise I loved AS Politics, the UK is really interesting and most people said the USA would be better (A2) but I didn’t enjoy it as much, still interesting but it was all based around money and ‘legal corruption’ basically. Content wise it’s a really subject to take, everything links in nicely and crosses over, you get brownie points for comparing the USA to the UK at A2 (I can’t believe I forgot this several times in my exam, would’ve secured me an A and possibily an A*).

If you’re doing the new spec I believe you have to do UK, USA and ideologies as well, personally I would’ve chosen Ideolgies over USA any day (they used to give a choice). I recommend it but like I said, if your history course offers modern topics go for that instead
Original post by Audrey18
it's a really interesting subject but it's content based. so unlike maths, chemistry and physics, you'll have to know all your stuff for politics in order to score the top marks. you cannot wink it. some of the other problems with politics as a subject are

1) the current textbooks are outdated for a few years now and the new editions will only be out at the end of next year

2) till today, no one on this forum has shown us with real examples and/or marked scripts as to how to answer the various marker questions

3) the politics section on this forum only comes alive a week before the actual politics exams. it's too late by then to be clearing doubts, asking questions and getting help. no one will actually bother. even if they did, they will not do it in a thorough manner because they too need to revise for the exam as well.

So if you want to do politics at A-levels then ensure that your teacher is good and that he/she will be able to support you throughout your course. This is one subject you cannot self-study. The bigger picture is to gain the top marks so the sooner you are taught the techniques to getting that top grade when answering the various marker questions and the quicker you master them then success is inevitable.

Disagree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending