The Student Room Group

Do examiners see the front page of your exam script

When an examiner is marking your GCSE papers can they see the front page where you write your centre/candidate number? Can they go on a computer and type the number in to find out who the candidate is? Or do they not see it and the only people who see it are the board themselves so they know who the mark belongs to?
I believe it depends on the paper, the exam board and the style of the exam (is it a paper booklet to write your answers in that is generic (so you have to fill in yourself what exam the paper is for) or if it is a subject-specific one).

I know for A-Levels (not too helpful, but hey) the examiners were not aware of my AQA Accounting paper being done by me as they're only sent copies of what is enclosed within the "Do not write outside the box" however for my AQA Economics paper the whole exam paper is sent off.

Source: I requested all of my papers back (I like wasting money) and it had pen marks on it and ... a little bit of wine. I asked my teacher why this was, and he who himself is an examiner told me that for Economics they just get the red paper from everyone and while they don't really focus on the first page (they shouldn't) it's there for them to read.

Also the warnings to not write outside are useless. If something is written it will be marked, if like Accounting above it is copied electronically then it will have a manual review as soon as the system finds so much as a pen mark there.
I don't know for certain but I'm assuming not on the odd chance that an examiner was marking the script of someone they knew (obviously not one of their students but maybe through family/friends etc).

Quick Reply

Latest