The Student Room Group

A-Level Mathematics exams

Hi,

I'm a GCSE student who will be going on to study A-Level Maths next year, and I'm wondering how the GCSE and A-Level exams actually differ.

I'm hoping that the A-Level exams will incorporate much more numbers and mathematical symbols as opposed to the wordy questions I'm used to at GCSE (which, despite understanding the Maths behind them, I find difficult to interpret).

So my questions are: are A-Level Maths exams less words and more numbers, how long is each A-Level Maths exam that I will be required to sit, and exactly what papers am I actually going to be examined in, because I look on the past paper website and I see a whole list of differently titled papers that mean absolutely nothing to me.

In case it matters, I will be with Edexcel.

Cheers in advance for any responses.

- Jack
Original post by Jackudy3
Hi,

I'm a GCSE student who will be going on to study A-Level Maths next year, and I'm wondering how the GCSE and A-Level exams actually differ.

I'm hoping that the A-Level exams will incorporate much more numbers and mathematical symbols as opposed to the wordy questions I'm used to at GCSE (which, despite understanding the Maths behind them, I find difficult to interpret).

So my questions are: are A-Level Maths exams less words and more numbers, how long is each A-Level Maths exam that I will be required to sit, and exactly what papers am I actually going to be examined in, because I look on the past paper website and I see a whole list of differently titled papers that mean absolutely nothing to me.

In case it matters, I will be with Edexcel.

Cheers in advance for any responses.

- Jack

@gdunne42 has written a brilliant FAQ here on the new A-level in Maths which you'd start in September that will hopefully answer most, if not all, your questions.
All you need to know is that the paper gets leaked all the time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending