Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

'Mickey Mouse' subjects are harder to get an A in than 'Tradtional' subjects. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)
    So someone who got 7A* and 5A's at GCSE is not intelligent?

Jason
    Don’t be so crude, your exam grades are not proof of intelligence, i believe it was the psychologist Piaget who defined intelligence as “an individual’s ability to cope with the changing world through continuous organization and reorganization of experience”. Einstein (a very intelligent man) was dyslexic and may not have achieved the above grades at A-level or GCSE......

ReputationRep:
    Think about it, those students who take the more traditional subjects do not necessarily have it easier. IMO at my college for definite, those taking media studies are the people who could have taken English Lit, but were not prepared to put in the effort and were dossers who thought they could get good grades by lazing around. It's not that either subject is easier, just that the more conscientious students in most cases will opt for academic subjects like Maths - where incidentally the crap gets swept out of the class as the year goes on, rather than thinking they will just do no work and take media, which will not get them an A...

Mickey mouse subjects, as they are called, get such a reputation from the least able students in many institutions taking them on, thinking they are easy, which is a shame for those who work hard at them and get good grades...

Just unfortunate I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dajo123)
    Don’t be so crude, your exam grades are not proof of intelligence, i believe it was the psychologist Piaget who defined intelligence as “an individual’s ability to cope with the changing world through continuous organization and reorganization of experience”. Einstein (a very intelligent man) was dyslexic and may not have achieved the above grades at A-level or GCSE......
    These exams results are not mine. They belong to a friend of mine who is very annoyed at the idea of 'mickey mouse' subjects.

Your right... but it was only in retaliation to a juvenile comment of 'Thats crap no one intelligent would choose 'buisness studies' or sociology for alevel.'

Jason

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobbieC)
    Think about it, those students who take the more traditional subjects do not necessarily have it easier. IMO at my college for definite, those taking media studies are the people who could have taken English Lit, but were not prepared to put in the effort and were dossers who thought they could get good grades by lazing around. It's not that either subject is easier, just that the more conscientious students in most cases will opt for academic subjects like Maths - where incidentally the crap gets swept out of the class as the year goes on, rather than thinking they will just do no work and take media, which will not get them an A...

Mickey mouse subjects, as they are called, get such a reputation from the least able students in many institutions taking them on, thinking they are easy, which is a shame for those who work hard at them and get good grades...

Just unfortunate I guess.
    Having taken media studies, I will admit that some of the people in my class weren't exactly the brightest sparks around, in fact they could be down right annoying at times when they didn't realise things such as who Stephen Lawrence was, or the difference between left wing and right wing. :rolleyes:

But I took the subject because I had a real interest in some of the things that we studied, and I worked hard to get a good grade in it. I admit that the subject isn't perfect, and if I was in charge I'd certainly make a few changes to the syllabus, but the blame for that should surely lie with the exam boards and not the students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Having taken media studies, I will admit that some of the people in my class weren't exactly the brightest sparks around, in fact they could be down right annoying at times when they didn't realise things such as who Stephen Lawrence was, or the difference between left wing and right wing. :rolleyes:

But I took the subject because I had a real interest in some of the things that we studied, and I worked hard to get a good grade in it. I admit that the subject isn't perfect, and if I was in charge I'd certainly make a few changes to the syllabus, but the blame for that should surely lie with the exam boards and not the students.
    Lol thats true some of the people are a bit , well slow, who take media. However some are very bright. My classmates didn't even know what left and right wing were!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    "There are lies, exam lies, and statistics". Quality line from Private Eye!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=LittleMissShine]
    Having taken media studies, I will admit that some of the people in my class weren't exactly the brightest sparks around, in fact they could be down right annoying at times when they didn't realise things such as who Stephen Lawrence was, or the difference between left wing and right wing. :rolleyes: .

My friend,who's taking Media studies would not know the above.And the only reason she's taking the subject is because she wants to be a Journalist,but I have tried to tell her that Media is not well respected by Uni's.But she is taking English combined which is good along with another 'new' subject Pyschology.
    However I feel she should take more rigorus subjects,but it's her choice at the end of the day.

I'll be doing 2 very traditional subjects History and English Lang and Lit and a so called mickey mouse subject Sociology but I don't view some subjects harder than others.And I'll also be doing R.S,which I think is quite traditional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissShine)
    My friend,who's taking Media studies would not know the above.And the only reason she's taking the subject is because she wants to be a Journalist,but I have tried to tell her that Media is not well respected by Uni's.But she is taking English combined which is good along with another 'new' subject Pyschology.
    However I feel she should take more rigorus subjects,but it's her choice at the end of the day.

I'll be doing 2 very traditional subjects History and English Lang and Lit and a so called mickey mouse subject Sociology but I don't view some subjects harder than others.And I'll also be doing R.S,which I think is quite traditional.
    Sociology is interesting! I really wish I'd taken it now.

I found that knowing a bit about politics and sociology actually made media more fun, cause I liked the way they all fitted together. But maybe I'm just a big old geek.

ReputationRep:

I found that knowing a bit about politics and sociology actually made media more fun, cause I liked the way they all fitted together. But maybe I'm just a big old geek.
    I know sociology is interesting and it's that very reason that I took it.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think business studies is a mickey mouse subject. it require a considerable amount of intelligence to take on a course like it. it requires all the same skills that you need in socialogy, english, history (analysis, debating, knowledge, evaluation and the ability to write colloquilly and coherrently).

ReputationRep:

Exactly, i have studied human biology, law and psychology (similar to sociology) and psychology is by no means "easier", it’s actually quite surprising how much human biology and psychology cross paths.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the emotion and theories of motviation stuff in pscyhology crops in degree level management studies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Some of the emotion and theories of motviation stuff in pscyhology crops in degree level management studies!
    Interesting, is this related to the management gurus such as Charles Handy etc and their social theories?

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, is this related to the management gurus such as Charles Handy etc and their social theories?
    Yes indeedy

ReputationRep:
    I think the whole 'Mickey Mouse' subject thing is silly! The whole stigma attached to it deters people from doing the subjects that will enjoy because they fear that friends, the media and universities will see their A at A-level as worthless.

So instead they do something more 'traditional' for two years and are toughly bored. I think the reason you see a lesser percentage of As in the so called 'Mickey Mouse' subjects is because some of the brightest pupils who would like to take media studies etc and would probably get a grade A choose to opt for a more traditional subject because they don't want to give the impressions that they took ‘easy options’.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't take into consideration drop outs from maths classes and perhaps traditional subjects have better teaching since they've been around for a long time?

You might find Statistics A level nationally is the hardest to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)
    English and History are easier subjects than Business Studies and Sociology...Discuss

I was interested in the A pass rate of these four subjects in relation to the debate about 'mickey mouse' subjects. According to the Times Newspaper Statistics; English and History are easier subjects than Business Studies and Sociology to get an A in.

My evidence is as follows:

Business Studies: 14.1% of people who sat exam = A
    English: 20.6% of people who sat exam = A
    History: 23.9% of people who sat exam = A
    Sociology: 18.3% of people who sat exam = A

Therefore, surely an A in Business Studies or Sociology is a better achievement than that in English and History...

What are your opinions?

Now before a huge, heated debate starts and alot of slanderous comments are passed, all I have done is thrown a spanner in the waterworks to see other people's opinions.

Jason
    But be aware, it also depends on how many people sat each exam.

ReputationRep:
    i got A's in maths and music and a B in sports studies - i found parts of sports studies the hardest of them all

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, i have studied human biology, law and psychology (similar to sociology) and psychology is by no means "easier", it’s actually quite surprising how much human biology and psychology cross paths.

hi, i agree,psychology is not easy, i just did it for GCSE, along with english, maths and sociology. so far all my friends had u's in psychology which proves that it is not easy. people did pass sociology, but just about with G's and F's, so it is not any easy subject.

ReputationRep:
    clever people do traditional subjects, mickey mouse people do mickey mouse subjects! .....

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.