Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

'Mickey Mouse' subjects are harder to get an A in than 'Tradtional' subjects. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)
    English and History are easier subjects than Business Studies and Sociology...Discuss

I was interested in the A pass rate of these four subjects in relation to the debate about 'mickey mouse' subjects. According to the Times Newspaper Statistics; English and History are easier subjects than Business Studies and Sociology to get an A in.

My evidence is as follows:

Business Studies: 14.1% of people who sat exam = A
    English: 20.6% of people who sat exam = A
    History: 23.9% of people who sat exam = A
    Sociology: 18.3% of people who sat exam = A

Therefore, surely an A in Business Studies or Sociology is a better achievement than that in English and History...

What are your opinions?

Now before a huge, heated debate starts and alot of slanderous comments are passed, all I have done is thrown a spanner in the waterworks to see other people's opinions.

Jason
    did the same people sit all the exams?

ReputationRep:
    I am going to echo exactly what everyone else on this board has said: statistically there are more As in the science subjects (and others generally considered hard) than in the lesser respected subjects because more intelligent people choose to take the former ones up.

If A level subject grades are so easily affected by the IQ of those who take them then it would suggest that, in theory, all A levels are equally difficult. However, the difficulty level of a subject is not necessarily what puts it into the category of a mickey mouse subject or not. Perhaps some subjects are more respected as they enable students to acquire more thinking skills, for example.

Got to say, though, I found english literature far easier and gained far less skills in it than I did in RS and psychology over the last 2 years, and english lit is rarely seen as a mickey mouse subject.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.