anonoymous1234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am a student who has just completed their GCSE’s and is thinking about what A level courses to take in September.
I do have a keen interest in economics and politics and is trying to eventually apply for a economics &politics course at a Russel group uni. I just would like to be given some advice (if thats okay) on which A level subjects would give me best preparation for a economics course at a Russel uni. Bearing in mind the sixth form I would like to attend (at my current school) doesn’t offer economics A level which A level would be most suited as my third option? I would like to study Mathematics and History A level but not sure what to pick for my last option? (They are also not running Geography A level for my year) I was considering Business A level as I have been told that it covers many economic aspects but as it is seen as a “soft subject” I’m not sure weather to pick that subject, but they do also offer Politics A Level.

Just would like some advice in which subject is best suited for an economics course at a Russel uni, if possible.

Thanks
S.G.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anonoymous1234)
I am a student who has just completed their GCSE’s and is thinking about what A level courses to take in September.
I do have a keen interest in economics and politics and is trying to eventually apply for a economics &politics course at a Russel group uni. I just would like to be given some advice (if thats okay) on which A level subjects would give me best preparation for a economics course at a Russel uni. Bearing in mind the sixth form I would like to attend (at my current school) doesn’t offer economics A level which A level would be most suited as my third option? I would like to study Mathematics and History A level but not sure what to pick for my last option? (They are also not running Geography A level for my year) I was considering Business A level as I have been told that it covers many economic aspects but as it is seen as a “soft subject” I’m not sure weather to pick that subject, but they do also offer Politics A Level.

Just would like some advice in which subject is best suited for an economics course at a Russel uni, if possible.

Thanks
Informed Choices is by the RG universities. For economics it says:

Economics
ESSENTIAL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS
Usually Mathematics.
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS Economics, Computing/Computer Science, History, Business Studies.

For politics it says

Politics
Usually none
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS Politics, History, Philosophy, Law, Sociology, Economics, English Literature, Religious Studies, Business Studies.
anonoymous1234
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by SGHD26716)
Informed Choices is by the RG universities. For economics it says:

Economics
Usually Mathematics.
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS Economics, Computing/Computer Science, History, Business Studies.

For politics it says

Politics
Usually none
USEFUL ADVANCED LEVEL QUALIFICATIONS Politics, History, Philosophy, Law, Sociology, Economics, English Literature, Religious Studies, Business Studies.

Thanks
Zalvager
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths and History are good, solid choices. For your third choose something that interests you, not just because it is slightly favourable in the university process. Most universities just look if you have 2 non soft subjects and don't care about the third. I think business is a very good option because you like Economics (Economics would be better but nothing you can do) and the Business A-Level is relitively easy so you'll have more time to revise Maths and History. Or take a Language- better in the long run for employability and you could carry it on at university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (25)
18.25%
I'm not sure (3)
2.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (45)
32.85%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.19%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.53%

Watched Threads