Cleaners at uni trained to spot terrorism

Watch
summer1311
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
A London university has introduced training to its staff, including cleaning, catering and security staff, in order to help them spot students at risk of being drawn into extremism.

London South Bank has introduced the measure with the hope that these staff members will be able to spot signs that teaching staff cannot.

The same report in which this was revealed also included universities which monitor their students internet use, with London Met compiling weekly lists of those who visit extremist websites

What do you guys think of this news? Should unis monitor students internet usage?(not all unis currently do so) Is this a good measure to counteract young people being drawn into extremism?
Bobjim12
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Jihadi John was at Uni of Westminster, who knows what he researched at his time at Uni.
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bobjim12)
Jihadi John was at Uni of Westminster, who knows what he researched at his time at Uni.
Business & IT, so no doubt his dissertation research consisted of sending out a surveymonkey asking if you prefer JD Sports to River Island.
Meany Pie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It would could certainly prove worthwhile in high risk areas such as London.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
tbh they should bug all student accommodation rooms as a precaution. if you have nothing to hide then what are you worrying about ?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
I dont have an issue with it. We should all be vigilant. Its nothing the authorities wouldnt do.
Trinculo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The problem with all these counterterrorism strategies is that they fail to get a large, politically active constituency of liberal young people on side with it as they will tend to agitate about racial profiling.

The answer to this is to offer rewards - if you offered a french bulldog and a nutella waffle cone for informing on suspected terrorists, millennials would turn in every single Muslim in Britain overnight.
FriendlyPenguin
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What a waste of resources. Cleaners aren't psychologists. Brown person growing a beard? Must have been radicalised!

I'm surprised though that some Unis don't monitor internet usage.
Nuba123
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
LMAO
2007PSanHa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Last year I did a placement year at a college and all staff members had compulsory Prevent training. This is definitely a good thing!
Cubone-r
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just part and parcel of living in a big city.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Good to hear. We all need to be vigilant, and cleaners have access to rooms and parts of universities in a way other staff don't. If they can be trained to spot and report upwards on things which they consider suspicious, then surely that's a good thing? Sure, they might get a few false positives, but that's a worthwhile sacrifice as far as I'm concerned.

More to the point, cleaners have regularly been tasked with ensuring that University or college rules aren't being broken, in terms of keeping an eye out for evidence of candles being burnt, or cooking equipment/forbidden electrical equipment in rooms, so this can just be thought of as an extension to that work. Same goes for maintenance staff, who would have the necessity to enter rooms in an unplanned fashion at times and might well spot material or goings-on that are worthy of further investigation.
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nuba123)
LMAO
I don't understand your response assuming (since you make such a comment) you are a Muslim.

Such measures will be directed at you, if instituted. I can understand that you might disagree with them, be offended indeed.

But what makes it, what makes any of all this Islamic terrorism stuff, amusing?

:confused:
Plantagenet Crown
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Great to hear.
username2769500
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Great you would think there would be hope for people I have first hand experience that they'll do anything to mess up people the really bad ones aren't the ones you see on the news. There are worse they know how to psychologically traumatise people.
Sacred Ground
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think this is a good step tbh, not sure how people have an issue with this
rugbycricket
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think some people are overreacting. I highly doubt the cleaners are being trained specifically for the purpose of psychologically sensing out terrorists in a crowd. By simply taking small precautions such as keeping an eye out for extremist or suspicious material, they could be able to stop the behaviour before something dangerous happens. Hopefully, this won't need to happen very often in which case it can act just as another measure to keep young people safe.
Nuba123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by generallee)
I don't understand your response assuming (since you make such a comment) you are a Muslim.

Such measures will be directed at you, if instituted. I can understand that you might disagree with them, be offended indeed.

But what makes it, what makes any of all this Islamic terrorism stuff, amusing?

:confused:
I'm not offended, nor amused by the atrocities committed by terrorists , I just had an image in my head of elderly cleaners fighting off terrorists, I found that funny.
Stop assuming.
generallee
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Nuba123)
I'm not offended, nor amused by the atrocities committed by terrorists , I just had an image in my head of elderly cleaners fighting off terrorists, I found that funny.
Stop assuming.
Seems a pretty serious topic to me, and one hard to see much humour in, but whatever floats your boat I suppose. :confused:

(Apologies for assuming you are Muslim by the way).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads