The Student Room Group

Dual Citizenship - Applying for Student Loan and International Fees?

Hey guys!
So my Canadian friend is thinking about applying to a UK university, however he is unsure as to whether he would be eligible to apply as a citizen with help from Student Finance. His dad was born in the UK, but he himself was born in Canada.

I have seen a previous topic very similar to this one (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=796306) however, the answers given were confusing and contrasted with others I found elsewhere - as some state that it's just the UK that you have to have lived in for three years, while the topic linked has answers stating it's the EU as well. He has been living in Prague for the past year, so I was wondering whether or not that would count towards residency, or is it strictly to have lived in the UK? And would this also mean he would be able to apply for Student Finance if he were to have lived in the correct place for three years?
I'm also curious just in case the rules have changed since that post was made 8 years ago.

Any help is incredibly appreciated, so thank you in advance!
Original post by YlisseanBoy
Hey guys!
So my Canadian friend is thinking about applying to a UK university, however he is unsure as to whether he would be eligible to apply as a citizen with help from Student Finance. His dad was born in the UK, but he himself was born in Canada.

I have seen a previous topic very similar to this one (https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=796306) however, the answers given were confusing and contrasted with others I found elsewhere - as some state that it's just the UK that you have to have lived in for three years, while the topic linked has answers stating it's the EU as well. He has been living in Prague for the past year, so I was wondering whether or not that would count towards residency, or is it strictly to have lived in the UK? And would this also mean he would be able to apply for Student Finance if he were to have lived in the correct place for three years?
I'm also curious just in case the rules have changed since that post was made 8 years ago.

Any help is incredibly appreciated, so thank you in advance!

Hi

If his nationality is Canadian and he has never lived in the UK he won't be eligible for support from Student Finance England (does not matter if dad is uk national) - there is all the things like temporary absence etc but none of that really applies if he's never even lived/settled in the uk at some point in his life.

For the EU funding you mentioned - he (or mum/dad/spouse)would need to hold EU nationality and he would of had to been living in the EU for the past 3 years so I don't think he would be eligible for EU funding.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending