Placement Year - is it worth it? Watch

PostSomeShizzle
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey guys. Im a computing student doing a course with an optional third year of placement. ive already done a trial week with the company.

Problem is that it isnt much of computing and is more manufractering. I dont know if i can see myself doing this for a full year, 9-5 every day. the challenge is being away from home, i would have been much happier if i got a placement at home so i could meals cooked, no rent, see my childhood mates again etc. i just don't know if all the arrangements suit me like the travel, and even if i actually enjoy it. i feel if its work thats not relevant to my course then its a waste of time.

anyway, im just wondering if placement year is worth it all. i know experience is a really good thing, but can i except to get a good job still if i go back to uni and get a 2:1? i'm caught between doing placement and getting uni finally done and dusted. Any advice here?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PostSomeShizzle)
Hey guys. Im a computing student doing a course with an optional third year of placement. ive already done a trial week with the company.

Problem is that it isnt much of computing and is more manufractering. I dont know if i can see myself doing this for a full year, 9-5 every day. the challenge is being away from home, i would have been much happier if i got a placement at home so i could meals cooked, no rent, see my childhood mates again etc. i just don't know if all the arrangements suit me like the travel, and even if i actually enjoy it. i feel if its work thats not relevant to my course then its a waste of time.

anyway, im just wondering if placement year is worth it all. i know experience is a really good thing, but can i except to get a good job still if i go back to uni and get a 2:1? i'm caught between doing placement and getting uni finally done and dusted. Any advice here?
Talk to your tutor. Point out there isnt much computing experience or likely to be so. Maybe look at the employment rates of those who did the placement v those who did not. See if there's a chance you could organise your own? I'd have the same concerns.

Still a years experience with a reputable company might be worth it as it gives you the chance to do real life problem solving.
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

A placement year is always worth it-it will give you practical, real life skills that employers expect, so would definitely improve your job prospects, even if you decide you don't want to go into that exact speciality
PostSomeShizzle
Rep:
?
(Original post by super_kawaii)
A placement year is always worth it-it will give you practical, real life skills that employers expect, so would definitely improve your job prospects, even if you decide you don't want to go into that exact speciality
Yeah I understand how it's important experience. I'm just wondering is it worth it to land a job, because even if you do placement there's no guarantee that you'll get a job anyway. I know it's a greater chance with placement, but at the same time I'm just like I could be finisher uni and home a year sooner. Being a student is wearing off on me quick time.
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I understand how it's important experience. I'm just wondering is it worth it to land a job, because even if you do placement there's no guarantee that you'll get a job anyway. I know it's a greater chance with placement, but at the same time I'm just like I could be finisher uni and home a year sooner. Being a student is wearing off on me quick time.
The whole point of uni is to increase your employment prospects and you will struggle without any practical experience. Would definitely go for the placement year-you'll be glad you did as it'll make any employer warm to you so much more than "I cba with uni anymore, I'll give up this massive privilege because I feel a bit meh"
PostSomeShizzle
Rep:
?
(Original post by super_kawaii)
The whole point of uni is to increase your employment prospects and you will struggle without any practical experience. Would definitely go for the placement year-you'll be glad you did as it'll make any employer warm to you so much more than "I cba with uni anymore, I'll give up this massive privilege because I feel a bit meh"
I think my plan of action is to go try the placement more, and if I come to settle in and enjoy it by my birthday (in 2 weeks time) then I'll just crack on. If not, I've spoke to my tutors who have said that it's ok to come back to uni and do third year if placement doesn't work out, provided it's done before the course start date which is like 20th of September giving me a 5 week window. Hopefully it all works out, cause there are various pros and cons for either choice in my opinion!
PostSomeShizzle
Rep:
?
Update: i decided to leave the placement, last day this Friday. I wasn't being mentored at all so i would literally be handed work that was either stupid easy/tedious jobs, or super complex with no help other than a talk about the job. I worked at manufacturing for a week but thats not relevant experience and it was kinda **** anyway, and the whole placement felt extremely disorganised/not relevant for my course.

Spoke to my manager and decided i'd be better off going to uni instead. A bit sad cause he went through a lot of effort to get me comfortable and he was really nice, but **** happens. Think this is for the best, but it wasnt a wasted experience- still gonna get paid and at least i can be happier knowing I've made the right choice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (154)
18.73%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (81)
9.85%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (140)
17.03%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (116)
14.11%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (252)
30.66%

Watched Threads