The Student Room Group

Exeter VS Newcastle for Mechanical Engineering

Hello everyone, I've got an offer from both Newcastle and Exeter but can anyone please tell me which university is better for mechanical engineering and what are the main differences in between them? Which city is 'better' to live in?*I'm an international student. Exeter is 4000 pounds more expensive.Thanks
Reply 1
Hey, I can't really comment about Newcastle, but I study Mech Eng in Exeter and it's pretty great. The first year is a blanket year for all engineering sub categories, then the second year is specific to your sub category, and the third year you can choose a few modules. I've finished my first year now, we had a group project to design and manufacture a Pelton wheel generator which was entertaining.

Exeter itself is ana amazing city, but it depends what floats your boat. I'm into Mountain biking, climbing and surfing so Exeter is pretty perfect. The campus is really nice, really modern facilities all around and VERY well kept gardens. It keeps winning various green awards for having the best natural spots in the country. The Engineering building itself could be better, but you learn to love it. I've only been there a year but I feel religiously connected to that building <3

Exeter Uni has a pretty massive international scene. There's a whole building nearly as big as the main forum + library dedicated just to international students, for them to study in!

I suppose how important the extra £4000 a year is, if you're budget is tight, that will probably make your mind up for you.
Exeter is very posh, white and much more of a town than Newcastle is, however Newcastle may also be a pretty big culture shock for other reasons, by which I mean the drinking culture is rather strong there. Exeter's reputation for engineering is also quite hit and miss, I know quite a few people, alongside myself, who've seen the work of Exeter students and we wouldn't really want anything to do with it as it's just not up to par. Newcastle isn't top for engineering either but I can't see it being the disappointment that Exeter seems to be.

Neither of them are going to be particularly easy to get to as an international student.

Personally, I would go to Newcastle as the university as a whole will be a more enjoyable experience due to the city life and you probably won't lose anything in terms of job prospects. Also £4,000 cheaper is a lot of money to save which could be spent on other things e.g. travelling around Europe or a master's course.

Quick Reply

Latest