The Student Room Group

Which university to chose

I want to ask for advice on what university to pick
Original post by aim678

Which course, which uni? Do you have any offers? Have you applied? When is this for? We need a bit more information :tongue: Really though, only you can decide. There's so many things that go into it. Look into student support services, the area the uni is in, the accommodation, the modules on the course etc and decide which fits best with you
What is your shortlist? What are you looking for from the uni?
First I would suggest looking on the internet or prospectuses to decide what courses interest you best and at what universities.

Once you have a selection, go on a few open days. Try to get a feel for what it would be like to study there, ask current students and lecturers any other questions you have.

Consider if you would like to live near home or far away (this is a choice that some people have to make).
Reply 4
I am wanting to study Primary Education. I haven't applied yet and will be going through clearing as I've recently changed my career aspects. I'm not really interested in the clubbing lifestyle so I was thinking not a university within a big city. Also something outside of London due to the expenses. I have looked at Brighton (although I can imagine a fair bit of nightlife) as a potential, due to it being one of the largest teacher training universities. Other than that I'm lost.
Original post by aim678

Depending on your subject choice and academic ability, you can go for the following choices

1. Strong Universities: Oxford, Cambridge, Manchester, Imperial, UCL

2. City Universities: London, Manchester, Oxford, Birmingham, Edinburgh

3. Culture: London, Oxford, Manchester, Leeds, Cambridge

4. History: Oxford, Cambridge, York, Aberdeen, Manchester

5. Cute students :wink:: Exeter, Manchester, Cambridge, UCL, Leeds

6. Future PM: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Glasgow, Manchester

7. Rich kids: LSE, UCL, Oxford, Exeter, Cambridge

8. School for children of illuminati: Oxford, UCL, Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester

9. Party unis: Loughbrough, SOAS, London Met, Leeds, Newcastle

10. Schools for liberals: Newcastle, York, UCL, Manchester, Glasgow

Pick your choice. JK :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by aim678
I am wanting to study Primary Education. I haven't applied yet and will be going through clearing as I've recently changed my career aspects. I'm not really interested in the clubbing lifestyle so I was thinking not a university within a big city. Also something outside of London due to the expenses. I have looked at Brighton (although I can imagine a fair bit of nightlife) as a potential, due to it being one of the largest teacher training universities. Other than that I'm lost.

Try looking through the clearing search to see which universities have places for the course you want to do. That alone should narrow things down a bit. After that, look on their websites and just have a nosey. You might decide you want to live on campus, so universities without on-campus accommodation would be out. You might decide you want to live North or South, or closer to where your family lives, so that should narrow things down a bit. Keep thinking about that kind of criteria as you look through what is available
Original post by Wired_1800
Depending on your subject choice and academic ability, you can go for the following choices

2. Big City: London, Manchester, Oxford, Birmingham, Edinburgh

8. School for children of illuminati: Oxford, UCL, Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester

I'm going to hazard a guess you went to Manchester? :wink:
Original post by Noodlzzz

Why?

I did not study there.
Original post by Noodlzzz

If you've seen his posts on university rankings/reputation threads, he always lumps Manchester with the likes of Imperial, Oxbridge, and LSE. It's a common theme.
(edited 6 years ago)
whats your short list? grade expectations etc?

Original post by Wired_1800

2. Big City: London, Manchester, Oxford, Birmingham, Edinburgh

Oxford is not a big city :confused:- its smaller than Bristol, which isnt that big either :tongue:
Just because a city has clubs, doesn't mean it's compulsory for you to go to them. It might still be a nice city where you want to live, so I don't think you should exclude big cities on that criterion. Just focus on where you might want to study and what the course looks like.
Original post by Blue_Cow
If you've seen his posts on university rankings/reputation threads, he always lumps Manchester with the likes of Imperial, Oxbridge, and LSE. It's a common theme.

This is perception. There was no ranking or "evidence" used to write those list.

Ranking Manchester on par with Oxbridge and UCL on other threads had to do with academic ranking, which i have backed up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending