The Student Room Group

Just failed my third driving test.

I need advice, I am feeling so disheartened and **** for failing my third driving test today.
More annoyingly, each time I've failed it's only ever been one major each time! And these majors aren't horrendous things (getting too close to a parked car, staying in the right hand lane of a dual carriage way, speeding by 5 miles for less than a minute). What I mean is they aren't dangerous necessary.

Today I got one major (speeding) and 2 minors and the examiner sounded bad for me when he failed me, said other than the small speeding issue it was a good drive. But every test I seem to make one silly mistake that just results in me failing! I can't help but think this is just going to continue to happen.

I am not the failing type so I am taking this pretty hard. So embarrassing to tell family/friends that you've failed (again). Fed up - need re-inspiring!
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I believe in you! I don't even drive because I'm too afraid of crashing, but I'm happy to be a little cheerleader on the sidelines :smile:
Reply 2
5d
Original post by ChloeSheree
I need advice, I am feeling so disheartened and **** for failing my third driving test today.
More annoyingly, each time I've failed it's only ever been one major each time! And these majors aren't horrendous things (getting too close to a parked car, staying in the right hand lane of a dual carriage way, speeding by 5 miles for less than a minute). What I mean is they aren't dangerous necessary.

Today I got one major (speeding) and 2 minors and the examiner sounded bad for me when he failed me, said other than the small speeding issue it was a good drive. But every test I seem to make one silly mistake that just results in me failing! I can't help but think this is just going to continue to happen.

I am not the failing type so I am taking this pretty hard. So embarrassing to tell family/friends that you've failed (again). Fed up - need re-inspiring!

I would advise you work on the part you keep getting the majors in. Tell your instructor and practice more on these areas. Just because you did not pass does not mean you cannot pass. I say this as someone that failed many times than you and just recently passed. Just a side note, it really is not about just passing, it's all about safety. Speeding is not just a small issue, you need to remember that it's people's life and yours at risk if you are unsafe/drive recklessly.

You need to persevere and continue. You can pass if you put your mind to it. You have put in a lot of money into your lessons, don't give up now. I was not the failing type as well but I persevered and kept going from one driving test to another and in different driving test centres. With some more road awareness and being less nervous, I passed.

If I can pass, anyone can! I did not even know how to steer. I spent 15 lessons in residential areas because I could not steer and the car kept pulling to one side. I changed instructors 3 times and passed with the third one. My first instructor kept underestimating me, he even told me to use a plate to practice how to steer or to buy a video game. I was that bad! The failures were worth it because it made me road aware and conscious not to repeat my mistakes again. The examiner even stated that I am a safe driver!

Don't tell family and friends when you want to take your driving test. You can tell maybe your immediate family, however, don't tell your friends.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3

Just try not making the same mistakes again. Whatever serious mistake you got, make sure you never make it again. You can pass and you will. Out of curiosity, what manoeuvres have you done in the tests?
Reply 4
Original post by S2M
Just try not making the same mistakes again. Whatever serious mistake you got, make sure you never make it again. You can pass and you will. Out of curiosity, what manoeuvres have you done in the tests?

I've actually had three different manoeuvres. Parallel park, reverse round the corner (and an emergency stop), and today three point turn.
Reply 5
I've actually had three different manoeuvres. Parallel park, reverse round the corner (and an emergency stop), and today three point turn.

Oh ok. I thought left reverse around a corner was really common. Emergency stop they do most of the time when it's not raining. If your serious was for speeding, you might as well book your test again since someone I also know speeded and failed just because of that. They re-booked if for like a week later and he passed, so you can definitely pass.

Do a few more lessons and when you do book your next test, don't tell anyone until you pass
Reply 7
Just failed for the 3rd time. Failed on a major roundabout. I stayed in my lane and signalled left too early. The guy in the left lane freaked out and pulled back and then went to the right, instructor grabbed the wheel. Ironically i signalled left to indicatate that i was coming off the exit and not changing lanes as my current lane still takes you out of the exit.

Plenty of people have to take it a good few times before passing. It sounds like you need to talk to your instructor and get a few lessons in to work on any bad habits and the things you're not getting right. You need to understand that the things you got majors for are a big deal and that's why you failed. If you keep on thinking that they weren't that bad, you'll be more likely to continue doing them
Reply 9
Original post by PlainDoll
I believe in you! I don't even drive because I'm too afraid of crashing, but I'm happy to be a little cheerleader on the sidelines :smile:

Haha - thank you I appreciate it!
Haha - thank you I appreciate it!

Keep at it, i passed this morning on my 4th try. Luckily i had the same route i failed on two weeks ago so was able to correct my mistakes
Reply 11
Update: I passed yesterday! Thanks for all your support.
Reply 12

Congratulations! I passed Tuesday.

Well done. Congratulations!
You got there in the end. :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many congratulations! I only passed last Weds :colondollar:

:party::party::party::party::party::party::party:
Reply 15
Original post by Blue_Cow
Many congratulations! I only passed last Weds :colondollar:

:party::party::party::party::party::party::party:

I actually still don't even believed that I passed that easily.
Original post by Black Water
I actually still don't even believed that I passed that easily.

Passing felt pretty surreal to me lol.
Reply 17
Passing felt pretty surreal to me lol.

Same here. I mean I deserved to pass that day but that easily? PRSOM.
Original post by Black Water
Same here. I mean I deserved to pass that day but that easily? PRSOM.

The UK Driving Test is one of the hardest in the world, so pat yourself on the back XD
Reply 19
The UK Driving Test is one of the hardest in the world, so pat yourself on the back XD

Really? That means you should too then! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest