The Student Room Group

Childcare Grant

Hi,

I have two children who will be attending different childcare providers in September. I wondered how the grant is divided between the two children. The upper limit is £273.60 is this divided equally between the children or can one of my children use more of this allowance than the other?

Thanks.
Original post by Mirellalucia
Hi,

I have two children who will be attending different childcare providers in September. I wondered how the grant is divided between the two children. The upper limit is £273.60 is this divided equally between the children or can one of my children use more of this allowance than the other?

Thanks.

Hi Mirellalucia,
The basic entitlement to childcare grant is 85% of incurred childcare costs or the capped amount in your case of £273.60 for 2 or more children receiving childcare, whichever may be less. The Childcare Grant is assessed based on Household income and also household residual income.
The childcare payments are made directly to the student and the student would pay this directly to their Childcare provider. The payments are scheduled in line with the other student Finance payment , which is usually 3 times a year.

Thanks
Hi,

Thank you for the information, my query however regarded the way in which the grant is divided amongst the children. Can one child use more of the grant than the other? For instance one of my children's childcare fees is around £180p/w (which exceeds the limit of £159.59 offered for one child), my other child goes to an after school minder therefore his fees are significantly lower at £50p/w. My costs therefore come in at around £230pw - Is the allowance of (up to) £273.60 in place to cover the combined costs of both of my children even though one child uses more than the other, or is it to be divided equally amongst them?

Thanks
Hi Mirellalucia

The Childcare Grant is assessed at 85% of the costs as a whole therefore as long as your Childcare Grant combined for both children doesn't exceed the threshold for someone with two children, we will pay 85% of the overall Childcare costs, regardless of how the money is allocated.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending