The Student Room Group

I wear glasses full time, should i be classed as disabled?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Tootles
Worn them every day for twenty years. Next question.

This is my thread and only I can ask 'stupid' questions!
Reply 21
Original post by Tootles
Worn them every day for twenty years. Next question.

Then clearly you lead a very different lifestyle.

Oh, and the "next question" was in the same post...
Original post by WutJob..
This is my thread and only I can ask 'stupid' questions!
So ask away, I'm waiting.

Original post by Dheorl
Then clearly you lead a very different lifestyle.
No, I made sure my glasses fit properly. The only discomfort I get is when I'm wearing earphones for several hours at a time, they squeeze the frames into the sides of my head.
I wear glasses all the time...
Reply 24
Original post by Tootles
So ask away, I'm waiting.

No, I made sure my glasses fit properly. The only discomfort I get is when I'm wearing earphones for several hours at a time, they squeeze the frames into the sides of my head.

Are the glasses you're wearing on your display picture designer?
Original post by Tiger Rag
Only if your glasses don't correct the defects you have.

So, devil's advocate, a below-the-knee amputee with a well fitting, high tech prosthetic is arguably no longer disabled?
Reply 26
Original post by Tootles

Good fitting glasses or not, I stand by my point.
Original post by Drewski
So, devil's advocate, a below-the-knee amputee with a well fitting, high tech prosthetic is arguably no longer disabled?

That's completely different. They tend to cause problems. Your glasses, if fitted properly, don't.

Wearing glasses won't affect your ability to do things. Wearing a prosthetic more than likely will do.
Original post by WutJob..
Are the glasses you're wearing on your display picture designer?

I'm not wearing any glasses in my display picture. None of the pictures I have on here have me in them.

Does it matter who made them, provided they're comfortable and do the job?

Original post by Dheorl
Good fitting glasses or not, I stand by my point.
Good for you, sticking to your guns even though you're demonstrably wrong.
That's completely different. They tend to cause problems. Your glasses, if fitted properly, don't.

Wearing glasses won't affect your ability to do things. Wearing a prosthetic more than likely will do.
Hypothetically a prosthesis could be more like a transplant if it was high-tech enough, and could be grafted in as a 100% compatible replacement that you'll never need to notice or think about again, just as though you'd never needed it.

This is, of course, decades if not centuries away.

But no, it's not the same, as you say.
I guess if you're disabled then you are unable to do a particular thing.
Are you able to have 20/20 vision? Yes, by wearing glasses - so not disabled
Is someone who is paralysed head to toe able to walk? No (I believe) but they can use a wheelchair for mobility - so they are disabled.
But you could argue against my point and say that we are all disabled in one way. Am I able to travel back in time? No - am I then disabled?
Reply 31
Original post by Tootles
Good for you, sticking to your guns even though you're demonstrably wrong.

Considering you don't know what lifestyle I lead I don't see how on earth you think you can make that claim, but w/e.
Original post by Dheorl
Considering you don't know what lifestyle I lead I don't see how on earth you think you can make that claim, but w/e.
By all means, enlighten me.
Reply 33
Original post by Tootles
By all means, enlighten me.

The time I'm specifically referring to involved large amounts of time outdoors in harsh environments, catching sleep whenever and where ever you can, in and out of mountain lakes, staying in dark mountain huts next to glaciers that blind you without strong sunglasses. Sure, it's a fairly extreme lifestyle, but one where I'd much rather be partially deaf than partially sighted.

Even in more mundane lives though, from falling asleep on planes to having to either tolerate contacts and their downsides or have multiple pairs of glasses to swap between, they are far from hassle free and 100% comfortable.
Original post by Dheorl
The time I'm specifically referring to involved large amounts of time outdoors in harsh environments, catching sleep whenever and where ever you can, in and out of mountain lakes, staying in dark mountain huts next to glaciers that blind you without strong sunglasses. Sure, it's a fairly extreme lifestyle, but one where I'd much rather be partially deaf than partially sighted.

Even in more mundane lives though, from falling asleep on planes to having to either tolerate contacts and their downsides or have multiple pairs of glasses to swap between, they are far from hassle free and 100% comfortable.
..so something you chose to do. Not exactly a lifestyle, and not worthy of comparison to the average person - who generally has the sense to take their glasses off if they're at risk of falling asleep and damaging them.

Either way having to put on/take off glasses isn't a disability. If you're wearing glasses then your eyes still work, albeit not properly. This isn't the same as having an actual disability - one which makes your life harder.
Reply 35
Original post by Tootles
..so something you chose to do. Not exactly a lifestyle, and not worthy of comparison to the average person - who generally has the sense to take their glasses off if they're at risk of falling asleep and damaging them.

Either way having to put on/take off glasses isn't a disability. If you're wearing glasses then your eyes still work, albeit not properly. This isn't the same as having an actual disability - one which makes your life harder.

Well it is a lifestyle, considering for quite a while at various points it was my job...

And having bad sight is by any technical definition a disability. Because it's easily correctable though you're not given any special dispensation because of it.
Reply 36
Original post by Tootles
Lemme fetch my violin :nopity:

Ok, you've lost me there. I'm not sure at what point you felt having a reasonable conversation had to turn into being a patronising ass, but w/e, I'll leave you to live in your own little world.
Original post by Dheorl
Ok, you've lost me there. I'm not sure at what point you felt having a reasonable conversation had to turn into being a patronising ass, but w/e, I'll leave you to live in your own little world.
Wait... and you weren't being a patronizing ass? Making some claim like my lifestyle - which is pretty generic - is different because I don't have to take my glasses up mountains? Who the hell do you think you are?

You're talking *******s. You're standing as a single case, claiming that because you can't look after your glasses no putz can. That being the case, I'm not being patronizing, and I'm not denying the possibility of a reasonable conversation. I'm just acknowledging that you're behaving like a putz and dismissing your what you say, accordingly.

You were going into hostile environments with glasses.

That was an idiotic thing to do.

If looking after glasses is that much of a challenge and you really must go into those hostile environments, you could have got glasses that were better suited to what you were doing.

Original post by Dheorl
Well it is a lifestyle, considering for quite a while at various points it was my job...

And having bad sight is by any technical definition a disability. Because it's easily correctable though you're not given any special dispensation because of it.

Just wearing glasses doesn't mean your sight is that bad.

I'm still trying to work out how exactly, wearing glasses is a disability? Your vision has, for most people, been fully corrected.
Reply 39
Just wearing glasses doesn't mean your sight is that bad.

I'm still trying to work out how exactly, wearing glasses is a disability? Your vision has, for most people, been fully corrected.

Wearing glasses isn't a disability, having bad sight is.

If it weren't for glasses it would be a serious hinderance in day to day life. You wouldn't be able to read food packaging, or do office work etc. Therefore bad sight is a disability. Because we have glasses which can easily correct it, it's a disability that has little bearing on life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending