The Student Room Group

I wear glasses full time, should i be classed as disabled?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Kathy89
So people with allergies or sensitivity to food should be considered disabled, as well as women who have irregular minstruation, people with teeth growing the wrong way, or even people who snore... Well basically over 99% of the population...

"Disabled: (of a person) having a physical or mental condition that limits their movements, senses, or activities."
Original post by Dheorl
"Disabled: (of a person) having a physical or mental condition that limits their movements, senses, or activities."

If you have allergies to berries it limits you in eatting berries which is an activity.
If you snore it limits you breathing well when you sleep.....
Original post by Dheorl

However, you are able to live a perfectly normal life whilst wearing glasses.
Reply 63
Original post by Kathy89
If you have allergies to berries it limits you in eatting berries which is an activity.
If you snore it limits you breathing well when you sleep.....

The first one is definitely stretching the definition, but the second, yes. If the snoring was so bad you essentially suffered from the same problems of chronic insomnia, you might even be entitled to benefits because of it.
Reply 64
This might be my first thread to get to 100 replies. Ka-chingggg!
Reply 65
Original post by WutJob..
This might be my first thread to get to 100 replies. Ka-chingggg!

Get back to me when you have a post with 100 reps :wink:
Reply 66
Original post by Dheorl
Get back to me when you have a post with 100 reps :wink:

I don't need your gratitude. I just wan to please myself, thanks
No. I wear glasses all the time & wouldn't class myself as disabled. I used to find it really annoying having frames against my face all day but now I'm pretty much used to it- I'd rather not have to wear them but it doesn't bother me that much really. It doesn't stop me doing anything & if I tried to say it was some sort of disability I'd feel like I was being a bit insulting to people who are genuinely disabled.
Original post by Taradiddle
Not many, certainly not as many as today. For example, we know there has been a sharp increase in the prevalence of myopia (near sightedness) in recent years. This is due to eye strain, especially because of screens and time spent indoors.

I'm sure this is definitely a factor. I've worn glasses full time for the last 8 or 9 years, my younger sister got glasses for reading, computer use etc about 2 years ago & recently started wearing them all the time. Neither of our parents wear glasses so I'm sure it's not genetic. I'm convinced we've ruined our eyesight by spending too much time looking at screens.
Original post by Alesha1991
I'm sure this is definitely a factor. I've worn glasses full time for the last 8 or 9 years, my younger sister got glasses for reading, computer use etc about 2 years ago & recently started wearing them all the time. Neither of our parents wear glasses so I'm sure it's not genetic. I'm convinced we've ruined our eyesight by spending too much time looking at screens.

Me too, Im the only nearsighted person in my immidiate family, although my mothers aunts from her father's sides all are nearsighted, they also have blue eyes like I do (well my mom does too and she is farsighted actually).
You might have something genetic as well.
I think bad habits have more impact then most optometrists think.
Reply 70
Original post by Tiger Rag
However, you are able to live a perfectly normal life whilst wearing glasses.

"whilst wearing glasses". I've put this in as simple terms as possible and you still seem to be missing the point.

Does bad sight limit a sense? Whether it can be fixed or not is irrelevant, it's a simple yes/no question.
Original post by Dheorl
"whilst wearing glasses". I've put this in as simple terms as possible and you still seem to be missing the point.

Does bad sight limit a sense? Whether it can be fixed or not is irrelevant, it's a simple yes/no question.

You wouldn't be covered under the Equalities Act. It even says that.
Reply 72
You wouldn't be covered under the Equalities Act. It even says that.

I've said this multiple times and you don't seem to be able to grasp it. I'm not sure if you're just desperate to cling to the idea you're special because you're disabled or what, but irregardless of whether you get any special treatment from society or the government because of it, having one of your senses naturally impaired is a disability. You're mixing up the definition of disability with what the government deems in need of help.
Original post by Dheorl
I've said this multiple times and you don't seem to be able to grasp it. I'm not sure if you're just desperate to cling to the idea you're special because you're disabled or what, but irregardless of whether you get any special treatment from society or the government because of it, having one of your senses naturally impaired is a disability. You're mixing up the definition of disability with what the government deems in need of help.

You're the one expecting special treatment. If they can be corrected by glasses, they're not impaired. it's actually an insult to suggest otherwise. But what would I know. I'm only slowly losing my vision.

Most people I know would find it insulting to be classed as disabled just because they wear glasses. After all, they do lead a normal life.
Reply 74
You're the one expecting special treatment. If they can be corrected by glasses, they're not impaired. it's actually an insult to suggest otherwise. But what would I know. I'm only slowly losing my vision.

Most people I know would find it insulting to be classed as disabled just because they wear glasses. After all, they do lead a normal life.

I'm not expecting special treatment. I've specifically said that yes it's a disability but no you shouldn't be treated any differently because of it.

Seeing as you can't understand a simple definition I'm at a loss as to how I can make this any easier for you. As I say, you're mixing up what a disability is and what people think is worthy of help. A disability is nothing more than an impairment, whether or not it can be corrected. If you have it, you're technically disabled.
I have worn glasses full time since I was about 10. If you are asking the question philosophically, I don't have an answer for that, sorry. If the answer you require is related to whether it is classified as a disability by the UK government, my answer is a strong no. Unless your prescription is quite strong. I use a -5.xx on both eyes, shortsighted, and I don't believe that is classifiable as a disability. You could try speaking to a GP directly if you want further reassurance, I would say I am about 90% sure it wouldn't be classified as a disability except for very high prescriptions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending