Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Its that time of year again, welcome to the new thread for prospective Cardiff medical school applicants (A100, A101 and A104) for 2018 entry. This thread is designed to give applicants a chance to discuss their application and also to ask questions to the small number of Cardiff medical students which can be found lurking from time to time. Both myself and futuremedic19 will both be going into 3rd year this September and are very happy to answer any questions.

In an aim to make the OP as informative as possible below is some very useful information regarding Cardiff medical school, Cardiff university and everything you need to know can be found on the relevant pages of Cardiff Universities website and Cardiff medical schools website.

Admissions policy and entrance requirements.
    All the information regarding entry requirements can be found within the admissions policy, or by directly contacting cardiff admissions team.
    Cardiff score GCSE/A-level grades pre-interview, and do require the UKCAT. Interviews are MMI style.
    As a guide Cardiff in 2015 received approximately 3,500 applications for 309 places, roughly 1,500 of these applicants were invited to interview.

The course: C21
    Cardiff will be entering its 6th year of the new C21 course when you will be starting in september 2018. Information about the course structure can be found here, and a video about the course can be found here.
    As a general run down Cardiff university use an integrated CBL style medicine course which features:
    Spoiler:
    Show

- Full body anatomical dissection.
    - small number of lectures supplemented with labs, dissection, small group tutorial session and case based learning session as well as clinical skills sessions to deliver the course.
    - Placements from year 1 in primary care and from year 3 in hospital medicine (patient contact begins in january of year 1)
    - CBL style learning (self directed within a study group of 10 students plus a tutor) where learning is focussed on clinical scenarios following specific diseases processes or body systems.
    - harmonisation year in year 5 which allows students to develop their skills alongside junior doctors to ready them for foundation training.
    - if you graduate and remain in wales, your senior student placement (last clinical placement at cardiff) will be with the team you will begin your foundation training with

For anyone looking to see what the CBL course is like from a students perspective, I have a blog post on this over on my blog.

I hope this information is useful and can get you started if your thinking of applying to medicine at Cardiff University.
    ****DISCLAIMER****
    Sorry to be a bug bear but as a rule of thumb from here on out:
    - no discussion of interview questions or general topics is permitted on this thread, it is not fair to fellow applicants and will not be tolerated.
    - This is not an official page, all the information provided by students or applicants cannot be moderated and verified to be true, hence this thread is only for the purpose of discussion. For any official advice, please use the links above to Cardiff university websites or contact admissions.
    - You read the information provided on this forum at your own risk, not all of it will be true and it is your job to ensure you have read official documents from Cardiff about the admissions process. Cardiff university have no input on this forum, and hence you cannot hold them responsible if incorrect information is circulating.

Contact information for Cardiff medical school can be found here.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I might be applying here. I got 25/27 in the scoring system. Worried it's too risky. Do you happen to know last years cut off specifically? Also is everyone that meets the cutoff considered for interview and treated the same once the cutoff has been set?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    Hey, I might be applying here. I got 25/27 in the scoring system. Worried it's too risky. Do you happen to know last years cut off specifically? Also is everyone that meets the cutoff considered for interview and treated the same once the cutoff has been set?
    In response to your last comment the answer is yes after the cut off you will be interviewed regardless (unless your personal statement deems you unsuitable).
    As for the cut off that is sadly your call to make, the cut off in the last 5 years has been between 24 and 26 (as stated in the OP). I know people who scored 25 and are now at Cardiff, but i cannot tell you for certain because it depends on the applicants that apply each year.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    In response to your last comment the answer is yes after the cut off you will be interviewed regardless (unless your personal statement deems you unsuitable).
    As for the cut off that is sadly your call to make, the cut off in the last 5 years has been between 24 and 26 (as stated in the OP). I know people who scored 25 and are now at Cardiff, but i cannot tell you for certain because it depends on the applicants that apply each year.
    Thank you! I'll see what I get in my ukcat and see how I feel

ReputationRep:
    what happens if you have more than 9 A*s at GCSE? which ones will they take/ do they have preference of subjects? and what is the average UKCAT score for people who get in?
    thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lejefadetumadre)
    what happens if you have more than 9 A*s at GCSE? which ones will they take/ do they have preference of subjects? and what is the average UKCAT score for people who get in?
    thanks
    So Cardiff score GCSEs by taking the grades from Maths, English language and the sciences (either dual award or separate). This leads you with two possibilities:
    1. Maths, English language, biology, chemistry, physics and the best remaining 4 GCSEs (excluding additional maths, BTECs, short courses etc.).
    2. Maths, English language, core science, additional science and the best remaining 5 GCSEs (excluding additional maths, BTECs, short courses etc.).

They will only score 9 GCSEs, and once the core subjects are scored they will take the best remaining GCSE subject grades to make up to the 9 which will be scored out of 27.

The UKCAT is used in borderline cases post interview where applicants with the same interview score are being chosen between by admissions for remaining places. Usually a very small number of UKCAT scores are looked at each year and this is only done at the post interview stage. I cannot tell you what the average UKCAT score for entry is because it is minimally used.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys!

If anyone needs help with writing their Personal Statement, I'm currently a third year medic and will be part of a personal statement support clinic that has just been set up by current medics at MedICU (a medical application prep organisation who also do a lot of awesome outreach work) - feel free to join here: bit.ly/psclinic

Hope it helps and best of luck to you all!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

I score 26/27 and am very keen to apply to Cardiff. I am predicted AAA in my A levels. However, my English Lang IGCSE qualification (0500) is not accepted without the speaking and listening modules. Can I apply and complete these modules in 2018 with my A levels ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    I am a bit confused about how Cardiff use the PS in selection for interview. In another thread it was refered to as a PS heavy medical school as PS are scored.

SO I am wondering whether after the cut off from GCSE scores everyone is ranked again by PS score and so it is like the GCSE cut off is just one stage, and not everyone with a high score gets interviewed and more people pass the cut off than will be interviewed. Or are the PS just checked to make sure all is OK and basically everone with a high enough GCSE score is interviewed?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I'd like to thank you for your work in doing this work!I got few questions regarding cardiff medicine

1. I am an international student graduate (so applying graduate entry) and my Gamsat is 61, would this be enough for cut off?

2. If I am above the cut-off for GAMSAT, does personal statement and referee's report play big part in interview selection process??

3. Is academic requirement just a hurdle once we get an interview? or do they also play part in receiving offer? (so after interview is done, is it 50% gamsat 50% interview? or 100% interview? )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AEH71)
    I am a bit confused about how Cardiff use the PS in selection for interview. In another thread it was refered to as a PS heavy medical school as PS are scored.

SO I am wondering whether after the cut off from GCSE scores everyone is ranked again by PS score and so it is like the GCSE cut off is just one stage, and not everyone with a high score gets interviewed and more people pass the cut off than will be interviewed. Or are the PS just checked to make sure all is OK and basically everone with a high enough GCSE score is interviewed?
    Hi
    Cardiff will definitely read your PS. The academic score is formed from your GCSEs (and A levels only if you've achieved them).

If your academic score is really high then they will just read your PS to make sure your suitable.
    If your academic score is borderline/slightly below their cutoff they may look at your PS with a bit more scrutiny.

They're basically trying to give as many people as possible a chance at an interview but obviously those with a higher academic score are at an advantage.

Once your at interview, then the MMI is what decides whether or not u get a place.

ReputationRep:
    Is the UKCAT just looked at for borderline cases (similar to PS)? Scored 25 but I'm not feeling particularly risky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GrandExecutioner)
    Is the UKCAT just looked at for borderline cases (similar to PS)? Scored 25 but I'm not feeling particularly risky.
    The personal statement is far more important for cardiff's selection than the ukcat. The UKCAT is literally only ever used in borderline cases. A low ukcat should definitely not disadvantage your application. Many students have got in with below 600 ave scores. Cardiff place very little or no emphesis on it as far as I'm aware. Please ask the admissions team if you need further clarification about this.
    I can't decide for you however 25 in my opinion is a good competitive score. The personal statement is not something Cardiff use for borderline cases as literally everyones PS will be read.
    Hope that helps.
    Like I said might be worth asking the admissions team aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I either have 24 or 25 points for the system.
    I will have 25 only if Cardiff accept my Level 2 certificate distinction in Pearson Edexcel ICT? (Btec ? I dont know if its btec might be)
    I have achieved AAA so this really helps me as my Gcse was only 1A*10A1B

ReputationRep:
    What's the ratio of applicants to interviews and then from those interviewed to offers?

I have 26/27 but I'm worried the interview stage may be too highly competitive.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by bobwibbles)
    Hi I either have 24 or 25 points for the system.
    I will have 25 only if Cardiff accept my Level 2 certificate distinction in Pearson Edexcel ICT? (Btec ? I dont know if its btec might be)
    I have achieved AAA so this really helps me as my Gcse was only 1A*10A1B
    Cardiff unfortunately will not accept your BTEC as they only take GCSEs into consideration.
    This will mean your score is likely to be 24.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AJ:))
    What's the ratio of applicants to interviews and then from those interviewed to offers?

I have 26/27 but I'm worried the interview stage may be too highly competitive.
    It really does differ every year.

Cardiff usually receive around (on average) 3500 applicants each year for medicine.
    Of these 3500 around 1000-1500 will be invited to interview.
    Of those interviewed around 450-500 offers are made.

You may see this as a lot of competition but this will be similar for a lot of medical schools. Dont let competition ratios put you off applying.

ReputationRep:
    Is 24 points worth a try at cardiff? small chance of interview? Natalierm2707

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AEH71)

At an open day I went to this year they said they don't score personal statements, because they think it gives an unfair advantage to those applicants who essentially pay someone to do it for them. I think they just read it to broadly determine suitability and look for any suggestions that a contextual offer may be more appropriate.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm wondering whether it's worth applying to Cardiff this year. It looks like a fantastic university and I'd be really happy to study there, but I don't know if my GCSE grades are good enough.

I got 23/27 (5A*s and 4As in my best nine). It does say that interview cut off has ranged from 24-26 but I read somewhere that the 2016 GCSEs results were the lowest for many years - so maybe the interview score requirement would reflect this?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 10, 2018

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.