Criminology - please help! Watch

louna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am doing an essay and am having a bit of trouble with deciding which criminal behaviour to choose. The question states that I should select one aspect of criminal behaviour and then explain how sociological theories explain that behaviour. Would it be appropriate to choose antisocial behaviour or should I choose something more specific like murder? Is antisocial behaviour too wide of a topic? Is antisocial behaviour a synonym for criminal behaviour?
Claire461
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Undergraduate or college?
louna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Seamus123)
Undergraduate or college?
Undergraduate.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum.
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you are using anti-social behaviour, firstly you would quote the law on anti-social behaviour and the penalties for such.
Have you looked at Edwin Sutherland's Differential Association? It starts with deviant behaviour which is not wholly criminal but can lead to criminal behaviour. The different types of people or groups one associates with will influence the behaviour. That group may conform and another group may not - hence anti-social behaviour will follow.
Look at Merton's Strain Theory and the functionalist perspective. This traces the beginnings of deviance and the tension between the individual trying to reach acceptable goals in society but are hindered by the structure of society because they do not have the means to achieve the goals legitimately, they will turn to crime.
Labelling theory is a prominent theory in sociological explanations of crime. Starts from the assumption that no act is actually criminal- it only becomes criminal because the forces of law and order deem it to be so.- labelling theory is embedded in institutions as schools, the police, etc. in other words, those in power who impose and enforce the rules.
Look at Stanley Cohen's famous book Folk Devils and Moral Panics, where specific groups can become marginalized. x
Claire461
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by louna)
Undergraduate.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum.
Don't worry about it.x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (140)
18.16%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (132)
17.12%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (109)
14.14%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (76)
9.86%
How can I be the best version of myself? (236)
30.61%

Watched Threads