The Student Room Group

University Laboratory Maths Help (Biochemistry)

Hello, I'm going into my 2nd year of my BSc Biochemistry course at university in September and will be frequently doing more laboratory days than 1st year.

I found that during my 1st year I struggled with a lot of the math involved in the laboratory sessions involving dilutions and working out concentrations etc.

I wondering if there's any good resources that people could vouch for to allow me to basically start from scratch with the math in the labs and build knowledge up with the math, so I can feel confident when I do eventually return to university.

Also additional information on the necessary math skills needed for lab would be very useful (So I study them)

Cheers :smile:|
Original post by TheJCEP
Hello, I'm going into my 2nd year of my BSc Biochemistry course at university in September and will be frequently doing more laboratory days than 1st year.

I found that during my 1st year I struggled with a lot of the math involved in the laboratory sessions involving dilutions and working out concentrations etc.

I wondering if there's any good resources that people could vouch for to allow me to basically start from scratch with the math in the labs and build knowledge up with the math, so I can feel confident when I do eventually return to university.

Also additional information on the necessary math skills needed for lab would be very useful (So I study them)

Cheers :smile:|

Honestly there aren't many maths skills required. You'll get the hang of it eventually so give it time. I struggled all the way through my undergrad degree till someone took loads of time with me to go through it in my third year. The most important things are units and knowing the differences in scales i.e mini, micro, nano etc. The one skill I felt I was lacking as an undergrad was stats so it's worth investing in a good stats book to help you choose tests and understand why you use different ones. That may come later though. At this stage just keep practising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending