The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Haiko_friese
Can you for a gcse exam go over pencil with black pen for graph work.they all meet the dark coloured criteria and are scanned so will that be fine?

I can't see why this wouldn't be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Changing Skies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really
Reply 3
Original post by Changing Skies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really
The graphs are scanned in at a higher resolution and quality to be marked, so they can read and see pencil clearly over the graph paper, so by going over the lines in pen will just make it more defined
Reply 5
Making it easier to read?
Making it easier to read?

Exam boards prefer pencil which scans perfectly fine if you use the pencils they recommend. Going over in pen risks a wobbly line and tends to be thicker making reading values less accurate.
Reply 7
And what if you just do it with black pen.Cause the examiner report said its allowed
And what if you just do it with black pen.Cause the examiner report said its allowed

For graphs ? They prefer pencil HB or B as you tend to get a thinner more accurate line. You wouldn't be penalised for pen but you could lose accuracy marks.
@Muttley79 is right about this. Pencil, so long as it's not particularly faint, is fine - this is what's on the rubric. There's no need to go over the lines in black pen and, as has been said, it could make a nice, sharp accurate graph less so.
Original post by Muttley79
For graphs ? They prefer pencil HB or B as you tend to get a thinner more accurate line. You wouldn't be penalised for pen but you could lose accuracy marks.

Accuracy marks?
So they won't mark it
Hold on I just remembered something.When I went over it with pen I erased the pencil mark
Hold on I just remembered something.When I went over it with pen I erased the pencil mark @Reality check
Hold on I just remembered something.When I went over it with pen I erased the pencil mark @Reality check

Just to note that your @ didn't work because it's not blue linked :smile:

So long as there is some mark (be that pencil or pen) that's all that matters. But in future, there's no need to go over a pencil line in pen.
Original post by Reality Check
Just to note that your @ didn't work because it's not blue linked :smile:

So long as there is some mark (be that pencil or pen) that's all that matters. But in future, there's no need to go over a pencil line in pen.

Sorry. So plotting graphs with just a PEN and not a pencil is still okay?. Cause it's still a dark colour
Sorry. So plotting graphs with just a PEN and not a pencil is still okay?. Cause it's still a dark colour

It's fine.
Original post by Reality Check
It's fine.

Sure?.i hope you're not saying it for saying sake.i want to know the truth so I can sleep peacefully without bothering anyone
(edited 6 years ago)
Sure?.i hope you're not saying it for saying sake.i want to know the truth so I can sleep peacefully without bothering anyone

You're obsessing about this now.

Why would I say it for the sake of it? What benefit would I get from that? The examiner really isn't interested in whether you've used a pen or a pencil. They're interested in whether the graph you've drawn is an accurate answer to the question.
Why are you making it more difficult than it is. Either is fine. personally I would use pencil because you can erase it. Its not a trick and thats why the rules specify a HB pencil is permitted.