The Student Room Group

St Marylebone for STEM subjects?

I've obtained offers from St Marylebone, Fortismere, and Woodhouse College, and am still struggling to deicide which to go to. I know that Fortismere, results-wise, outperforms St Marylebone and Woodhouse, but I want to know how good Marylebone is for the STEM subjects, as I will be studying Mathematics, Computer Science, and Physics. I read an earlier post from 2014 which stated that St Marylebone wasn't good for those kind of subjects, and mainly achieves high grades for humanities and art-like subjects; is this still the case? St Marylebone does not publish the results for their individual subjects, only the results overall (68% A*-B), so does anyone know if they are good for my subjects? Any other advice over which school to choose would also be appreciated.

Thank you.
hey, where did you end up going?
Reply 2
I chose Woodhouse in the end, which I'm sure was the right choice. Everyone I know who went from my secondary school did much better than those who went to Marylebone or fortismere (out of my whole secondary year of about 60, the two that got into Oxbridge were the ones who went to Woodhouse). I'm on a gap year but will be starting at UCL next year. I did end up dropping computer science because that was awful at Woodhouse, but the maths and physics departments are excellent. If you've got any questions about Woodhouse feel free to ask.
Original post by Nikelsom
I chose Woodhouse in the end, which I'm sure was the right choice. Everyone I know who went from my secondary school did much better than those who went to Marylebone or fortismere (out of my whole secondary year of about 60, the two that got into Oxbridge were the ones who went to Woodhouse). I'm on a gap year but will be starting at UCL next year. I did end up dropping computer science because that was awful at Woodhouse, but the maths and physics departments are excellent. If you've got any questions about Woodhouse feel free to ask.

i'm doing cs in september what about it was bad
Reply 4

To take you up on your offer, what's the atmosphere like at Woodhouse- students and teachers? Also, which secondary did you go to?
Reply 5
Original post by monkicubi
i'm doing cs in september what about it was bad

The first teacher was pretty bad, she read of slides and sometimes struggled to answer questions without checking a textbook and also got things wrong sometimes. She "left" after that year and they had a new one, who, according to friends who continued with computer science, was even worse, but I think he's also gone now too. Also, I ended up figuring out that computer science wasn't really for me.
Reply 6
Original post by chibro
To take you up on your offer, what's the atmosphere like at Woodhouse- students and teachers? Also, which secondary did you go to?

For the subjects I ended up taking in the end, Maths, Further Maths and Physics, all my teachers were great. Woodhouse has a very impressive maths department, lots of teachers, so plenty of support is available. The atmosphere between teachers and pupils is pretty relaxed, they treat you like adults and it all feels a lot more like how university will be. People find that teachers might not keep on top of students as much, which is true for some subjects. In further maths, as class sizes were small, teachers kept on top of you a bit more and would intervene if you were falling behind. Really, if you find you need teachers to push you in order to study, Woodhouse probably isn't for you, but if you're willing to seek out help, there is a lot of support available. Same goes for the physics department, albeit smaller than the maths department, the teachers were very nice and would all be up for helping you outside of lessons, but it's your responsibility to email them and organise this.

As for the students, given the size, it pretty mixed. I found it to be quite cliquey, lots of people grouped up but I mainly stuck with my friends from secondary school (North Bridge House). Since it's a larger school, it's got a range of abilities, from the 4 A* students to some who slack off a bit more and I'd say a small minority didn't really seem to care to be honest. There are tons of societies and it's very easy to set up your own. Woodhouse is VERY political, there's always some campaign going on, very politically correct, which some may like and some may not. All in all, I had a great time, and if you think you'd thrive in a more independent environment, then I'd say Woodhouse is the way to go.
Reply 7
For the subjects I ended up taking in the end, Maths, Further Maths and Physics, all my teachers were great. Woodhouse has a very impressive maths department, lots of teachers, so plenty of support is available. The atmosphere between teachers and pupils is pretty relaxed, they treat you like adults and it all feels a lot more like how university will be. People find that teachers might not keep on top of students as much, which is true for some subjects. In further maths, as class sizes were small, teachers kept on top of you a bit more and would intervene if you were falling behind. Really, if you find you need teachers to push you in order to study, Woodhouse probably isn't for you, but if you're willing to seek out help, there is a lot of support available. Same goes for the physics department, albeit smaller than the maths department, the teachers were very nice and would all be up for helping you outside of lessons, but it's your responsibility to email them and organise this.

As for the students, given the size, it pretty mixed. I found it to be quite cliquey, lots of people grouped up but I mainly stuck with my friends from secondary school (North Bridge House). Since it's a larger school, it's got a range of abilities, from the 4 A* students to some who slack off a bit more and I'd say a small minority didn't really seem to care to be honest. There are tons of societies and it's very easy to set up your own. Woodhouse is VERY political, there's always some campaign going on, very politically correct, which some may like and some may not. All in all, I had a great time, and if you think you'd thrive in a more independent environment, then I'd say Woodhouse is the way to go.

yeah, I've heard that's the case with the independence of the place. Thanks so much for your help, could I ask how you knew Woodhouse was right for you?
Reply 8
Original post by chibro
yeah, I've heard that's the case with the independence of the place. Thanks so much for your help, could I ask how you knew Woodhouse was right for you?

Well I knocked out Marylebone because they didn't let me take Further Maths with Computer Science, so that left me with Fortismere and Woodhouse. I didn't really like the atmosphere of Fortismere and I preferred the idea of a college, so I picked Woodhouse in the end. There wasn't anything in particular about Woodhouse that stood out to me when I picked it, but I liked it more and more during my time there.
Reply 9
Well I knocked out Marylebone because they didn't let me take Further Maths with Computer Science, so that left me with Fortismere and Woodhouse. I didn't really like the atmosphere of Fortismere and I preferred the idea of a college, so I picked Woodhouse in the end. There wasn't anything in particular about Woodhouse that stood out to me when I picked it, but I liked it more and more during my time there.

Glad you made the right choice, thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest