The Student Room Group

A question for the girls on TSR

--
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:cookie:
Original post by RivalPlayer
How would you feel if a guy who "self-identifies" as a girl makes it into your female changing room and then goes on to become visibly aroused when he sees you in a state of undress?
Would you demonstrate an instance of tolerance towards the erect appendage pointing in your direction or would you run away screaming in horror?

Well, according to leftists, discomfort at a male in a female dressing room would be considered bigoted transphobia so I'd imagine that to avoid being prosecuted for hate crime they'd shut up and put up.
How would you feel if a guy who "self-identifies" as a girl makes it into your female changing room and then goes on to become visibly aroused when he sees you in a state of undress?
Would you demonstrate an instance of tolerance towards the erect appendage pointing in your direction or would you run away screaming in horror?

Generally speaking, an erect penis isn't socially acceptable anywhere, and yet I've seen posts on TSR today about girls being sexually assaulted on public transport. The person in question would face the same charges as if a cis woman stripped naked or started masturbating in the changing room (indecent exposure, probably? I'm not certain). But, you know, us gays seem to manage changing rooms just fine.

Stop trying to come up with strawmen to justify your transphobia. It isn't working. There seems to be this misconception that people are going to go through the messy process of coming out as transgender in order to gain access to spaces or to ogle women, when in reality that doesn't happen. There are (to my knowledge) no reported incidences of any kind of sexual harassment that has occurred as a consequence of allowing trans people to use the bathroom they prefer. (If that's changed since the last time I looked things up, then hey, apologies, but it remains a non-issue.)

Considering the rates of harm and assault that trans people (passing or non-passing) face, I can't imagine any cis guy deciding it'd be worth the effort when he puts himself at risk of being murdered. A whole lot of trans folk are too scared to use the bathroom they'd prefer, because of the whole "being attacked and/or murdered" thing. :s-smilie:

I wouldn't care. Running away, screaming in horror, is a bit of an over-dramatic reaction to a penis.
I'm sorry but I don't agree with stuff like this. They are biologically male so they must go to the male one. Imagine as a Muslim woman seeing him coming into the room and seeing me with no hijab... that's bad enough so going all the way is even worse tbh walahi i would scream so freaking loud and start arguing
I really think you overestimate what women do in female changing rooms...
I'll fight him/her.
Original post by salma123angel
I'll fight him/her.

The OP is making up ridiculous scenarios that are unlikely to happen. My gym has a lot of transpeople attending and never once in the changing rooms has a transwoman had an erect penis. They're just getting along with their life like everyone else.
Anything you disagree with is a phobia ie a viewpoint that is "wrong" and needs to be silenced. And yet you'll disingenuously call yourself a tolerant person - tolerant only when you hear things you agree with, of course.

You're spreading myths about how transpeople are just perverted men who want to sexually assault women in bathrooms/changing rooms. It is not about being tolerant. It is about correcting a view that has led to justifications for prejudice against the trans community.
Anything you disagree with is a phobia ie a viewpoint that is "wrong" and needs to be silenced. And yet you'll disingenuously call yourself a tolerant person - tolerant only when you hear things you agree with, of course.

Hey, uh.. point out to me where I said anything of the sort in that text?? :redface:

Tolerant... eh, it's not my favourite term. I'd rather describe myself as someone who tries to be empathetic, and goes by facts (i.e. the rates of trans people being assaulted or harassed for using the bathroom, versus the rates of people pretending to be trans to sneak into changing rooms) and an understanding of the world on a more intimate level of people and the dangers they face. Would you agree with me in saying that transgender people deserve the same safeties and rights placed upon them as anybody else? :smile:

Transphobia (as people often cite the 'phobia' section as misattributed) can also be called anti-trans speech/hatred, or anti-trans bigotry, if you'd prefer. Doesn't bother me either way what you want to call it.

My boyfriend is transgender, as are several of my friends; the people around me have rights that should be defended. Everyone has the right to freedom of speech; I also have the right to say that I don't agree and that saying things like that contributes to a wider problem that directly harms millions of people. Yay, rights! Rights sure are good! I sure am glad neither of us are being arrested by the government for speaking our minds right now.
I dunno. As long as the dude doesn't act on it, then I wouldn't give a crap. I wouldn't run out, just be weirded out. Now if you're saying that trans people will act like this as soon as the bathroom law is passed, then you obviously haven't met one. Making a generalisation as ambiguous as such isn't going to do you good. I have to yet see studies/stats to say that rape and sexual harassment has increased as soon as the law was passed, but until then, I will disagree with your argument.
(edited 6 years ago)
No. It is a perfectly plausible scenario that could become a reality if people are allowed to self-identify with a gender without a medical diagnosis (as proposed by the government). Stop trying to silence discussion. That's the problem with people like you; everyone who disagrees is wrong and needs "correcting".

It's remarkably unlikely though, in comparison to a trans person actually being the one on the receiving end of any negative reactions. As above, what you describe would hardly be socially acceptable in any scenario in the first place, and it does seem rather a strawman to pose it as if it would be commonplace. I'd also argue that none of the opposing views have been trying to silence you thus far, they've simply been posing an alternate standpoint.
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
Generally speaking, an erect penis isn't socially acceptable anywhere, and yet I've seen posts on TSR today about girls being sexually assaulted on public transport. The person in question would face the same charges as if a cis woman stripped naked or started masturbating in the changing room (indecent exposure, probably? I'm not certain). But, you know, us gays seem to manage changing rooms just fine.

Stop trying to come up with strawmen to justify your transphobia. It isn't working. There seems to be this misconception that people are going to go through the messy process of coming out as transgender in order to gain access to spaces or to ogle women, when in reality that doesn't happen. There are (to my knowledge) no reported incidences of any kind of sexual harassment that has occurred as a consequence of allowing trans people to use the bathroom they prefer. (If that's changed since the last time I looked things up, then hey, apologies, but it remains a non-issue.)

Considering the rates of harm and assault that trans people (passing or non-passing) face, I can't imagine any cis guy deciding it'd be worth the effort when he puts himself at risk of being murdered. A whole lot of trans folk are too scared to use the bathroom they'd prefer, because of the whole "being attacked and/or murdered" thing. :s-smilie:

There it is, the SJW's newest favourite buzzword to rationalise their contorted view of the world: "transphobia". Sorry but not sorry, expecting people to use bathrooms of their biological sex isn't bigoted of transphobic at all. It's called common sense, and your SJWs need to go and get some. You can be as fluid with your gender as you want. By all means, dress up, wear lipstick, cut your hair short, do whatever you feel is expressive of your gender identity. But your gender is not and will never be your sex. Unless you've actually made a full biological transition (which, if you want to talk about rarities, is incredibly rare) or you're a janitor, you've got no business being in the bathroom of the opposite sex.
If the government goes ahead with allowing people to self-identify without a medical diagnosis, what's to stop males with nefarious intentions from exploiting the policy to self-identify as females in order to gain access to areas that would not normally be accessible? After all everything will be predicated on how one simply feels.

Spot on. The door is open to anybody to simply say "you know what, I'm female/male now" and go for it. Your gender can be whatever you want it to be, but your sex is predetermined and not changed just because you feel like it. I refuse to submit to this new orthodoxy of how and how not the English language, which has always been spoken in a particular way, should be used in relation to a tiny minority of individuals.
Original post by Jinkx Monsoon
Would you agree with me in saying that transgender people deserve the same safeties and rights placed upon them as anybody else? :smile:.

If a one brand of biological male can't waltz into a biological female bathroom/dressing room as a matter of "right" then another brand of biological male shouldn't be able to either. Rights work very simply, they apply to everybody equally. If not, it's a privilege and no longer a right.
Original post by Sycatonne23
There it is, the SJW's newest favourite buzzword to rationalise their contorted view of the world: "transphobia". Sorry but not sorry, expecting people to use bathrooms of their biological sex isn't bigoted of transphobic at all. It's called common sense, and your SJWs need to go and get some. You can be as fluid with your gender as you want. By all means, dress up, wear lipstick, cut your hair short, do whatever you feel is expressive of your gender identity. But your gender is not and will never be your sex. Unless you've actually made a full biological transition (which, if you want to talk about rarities, is incredibly rare) or you're a janitor, you've got no business being in the bathroom of the opposite sex.

I'm definitely not an SJW. If you'd like to, you can read up a little bit on my thoughts, because I've already responded wrt the misattribution of transphobia etymologically.

Maybe it's easier for me to understand trans issues because I have an intersex condition, despite being cis. I understand the reachings of dysphoria because I have image issues bordering on BDD. Many people won't have these same learned experiences, and that's alright! But I'd ask you to maybe look at the situation with some empathy for the people around you. Trans people are still people, regardless of what you might think or say about them. The situation being presented by OP is a strawman, and it's intended to cause moral outrage when the real intentions of folks pushing for this are very different. :smile: I'd definitely recommend talking to trans people about any questions you might have on the subject -- as long as you can be civil and ask out of an earnestness to learn rather than to insult, I've no doubt people will share their views with you.

If empathy's not your boat, that's all cool; peer-assessed journals and studies are a good place to start. Here's a twin study that reaches the conclusion that identical twins are often both transgender, significantly more than the odds of fraternal twins, which suggests a genetic reasoning. If you think that's too much chance, that's cool! Here are two separate studies on the brains of trans folk... "Interestingly, both teams discovered that male-to-female transgender women had a BSTc more closely resembling that of cisgender women than men in both size and cell density, and that female-to-male transgender men had BSTcs resembling cisgender men." And here are some more specifically ruling out any differences hormone replacement therapy might cause - with the direct implication therefore that there's a genetic factor in people being born this way.

Hope this could help you!
if this comes into effect I'll identify as a girl :wink: :wink: for the changing rooms
I can't quote you for some reason, OP (I don't know if you're blocking alternative opinions, or if TSR is simply being a bit buggy?) but I'd like to point out that you've... refused to engage any other person on this thread who has been civil, or provided you with scientific studies from the last three decades (as I did, literally a few posts up). People have tried to provide you with things that challenge your current point of view and explained why they feel otherwise, but you're the one trying to shut down and discredit people who feel differently to you.

It's pretty clear that you're not interested in having any sort of polite or civil discussion, but you're projecting that disinterest and that rudeness onto the way that others respond to you. You've said that people are trying to silence you, but nobody has done anything of the sort. You've mocked and insulted people for having different viewpoints, and you keep repeating about "correction" and "cults". You have no scientific facts nor legal precedent (as I've stated the establishment of bathroom laws in the US helped to explore the fact that at that time there were zero reported cases) to back you up. :s-smilie:
x

Ahh, looks like I can now! Sorry for the accusation of blocking, my laptop can be patchy sometimes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending