The Student Room Group

Geography at Uni

Just wondering if any one has any tips on personal statements for geography or anything I should be getting involved in. Also what geography is like at uni!!
Original post by Oldl
Just wondering if any one has any tips on personal statements for geography or anything I should be getting involved in. Also what geography is like at uni!!

I would recommend including in your PS, the brand of colouring pencils you most like to use when colouring in maps.

Geography is great at university, sometimes they let you colour in Antartica.
I've just finished year 13 and am going to study geography this year so can help on the personal statement but not the actual studying (yet!). I went to Iceland with school and did fieldwork and went to some lectures so I spoke about them and what I learnt etc. I also did a geography related EPQ and read a book which related to my EPQ and the lectures I went to so I wrote about them too. For geography it's so broad that there's so many different things you can include. I'm studying physical so I mainly focussed on physical geography (climate change, volcanology, river field work etc)
Reply 3
Thank you so much! I've recently done fieldwork so I'll try to include it! Do you have any year 13 tips for a level geography? For revision and things it would be great!
Every geography is different in terms of what modules are offered. Try write your personal statement according to the modules available at each institution you've applied for. Say you love the environment and the unis offer environmental related modules, write about it. Don't bang on about how much you love volcanology if the unis don't offer it on their course. The modules available are determined by what lecturers are present. You should be able to find the modules on the uni websites.

And of course mention field trips!
No worries, I did the old spec so I'm not sure how similar they are but I would definitely recommend doing as many essays as possible (if you have to do essays) and rewriting/resubmitting based on teachers feedback and just making sure you know the content tbh and how all the sections of the course link together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending