The Student Room Group

Learning Excel

I want to get better at Excel but am not sure where to go next. I know some excel and have read about pivot tables, vlookups and vba. What is the best order to learn things? Do you have any sites you recommend? I've found this useful

https://www.gcflearnfree.org/excel2016
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by Skyewoods
I want to get better at Excel but am not sure where to go next. I know some excel and have read about pivot tables, vlookups and vba. What is the best order to learn things? Do you have any sites you recommend? I've found this useful

https://www.gcflearnfree.org/excel2016

I'd go to your local library, borrow a couple of books and work through them (get more than one - if you don't like the style of a book try another one). I'd try to get very confident and competent with vlookups (plus SUMIF, SUMIFS) and pivot tables before going any further. These are really key skills in lots of jobs - VBA far less so.
I would advise building proficiency in the following for starters:

Pivot tables
Charts
Index match (improvement on vlookup)
Array formulas aka CSE formulas
Basic arithmetic formulas (sum, product, sumif etc.)
Nested ifs
Round, roundup, rounddown
I would get acquainted with the basic functions & pivot tables.
I remember seeing some good courses on EdX but i'm not sure if they're still there.

If I can find them I'll send you the links, but feel free to take a look yourself :smile:
I would take a look at this article about Excel skills that will get you promoted.

6 Excel Skills That Will Get You Promoted

Learning these skills takes some time, but Mr. Excel is a free site that will teach you. You can basically search the forums on the site to find all the different types of code you may need.
Mathemagicien is definitely correct about learning VBA. As an accountant you will be using excel all the time and any macro that you can create will be a huge help. Macros help save lots of time. If you are the new person at work and you can help save everyone time during closing - you will be that much closer to being promoted or at least a whole lot harder to fire :u:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending