The Student Room Group

Do you ever feel like you don't matter to anyone?

Sometimes I don't feel apart of anything or I don't matter to anyone. I know a lot of people who are quite well known on Instagram with a lot of followers and people who always seem like they know what they're doing.

Scroll to see replies

I feel like that too. I know that I matter to some people like my family and some friends. To an extent, I matter to my employer because I do work for them. But yeah, there's something missing in my life, probably not being in a relationship is the thing that's missing
Things you see on social media are often fake. If I still had any social media I could post a picture of myself smiling and looking like I'm having the time of my life this summer. Little would anyone know I've spent the past week crying over various things and am up at 2am because I'm stressed out.
Original post by Anonymous
Sometimes I don't feel apart of anything or I don't matter to anyone. I know a lot of people who are quite well known on Instagram with a lot of followers and people who always seem like they know what they're doing.

Even if someone has 10000 instagram followers they will matter to a maximum of 15! Social media is a very shallow place, nothing to base your self worth off. You're far better having a strong relationship with your family and friends, that is really mattering to people. When you have loads of great memories with someone or watch someone grow, or someone is there who you've struggled with that is mattering to someone! Mattering is not getting 133 people take a fraction of a second to tap a heart shaped button.

In the end though, everyone lives their lives ultimately alone. Though you may have people who are very close to you and are highly important in your life. As you grow up, and have hard experiences, you'll realise both how wonderful it is to have support but also your own resilience and ability to control how you're feeling and cope.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4

It's natural for a human to feel not 'apart of anything' sometimes in our lives. That's why many who are not in a "relationship" (as it's called these days) feel so lonely and/or depressed - because their frontal lobe releases hormones that make them feel these ways, due to them 'failing' at their biological imperative. It's just human nature unfortunately. We're not much different from any other animal, really, except that we have the ability to think to a high level (some are better at this than others). There are ways to avoid feeling this emptiness, such as having a decent, well-paying career, and having/seeing friends/family, etc.

Ultimately though, these complex feelings of 'emptiness' will come and go many times whilst you live as a primitive, animalistic homosapien. When you start to realise just how utterly small we are on this planet, and furthermore in this universe, however, you start to realise what really matters - and what never did.

So just consider why these things like Instagram exist, and you will find some self-satisfaction. However you look at it, Instagram is almost ENTIRELY based on increasing self-esteem and ego, based on the opinions and 'likes' or 'follows' of others. It's just another meaningless, luxury way of making one's self feel better.

Do you really want to spend your very short life on this planet, spending your time doing something as pointless as that?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
@sunnydespair I get what you mean @moonstruck16 true, why are you stressed?

@shameful_burrito and @user3939 It's true, can't help but feel less important though, it's so silly but that's how I've felt since secondary school, less important because i was shy, calm, and not popular :/
Reply 6
@john_31 I agree, I don't want to really live like that, it's really weird that Instagram/ other social media apps are like this tbh
Yesss mostly friends
Original post by Afuru

@shameful_burrito and @user3939 It's true, can't help but feel less important though, it's so silly but that's how I've felt since secondary school, less important because i was shy, calm, and not popular :/

Original post by Afuru
@john_31 I agree, I don't want to really live like that, it's really weird that Instagram/ other social media apps are like this tbh

^^^ @sunnydespair @Moonstruck16 @User3939 @john_31 ^^^
Original post by Afuru

Life is hard at the moment, my mental health has hit rock bottom, I've pushed all my friends away in self-defence so have nobody left etc. I really, really hate the summer holidays.
Reply 11
Original post by Moonstruck16
Life is hard at the moment, my mental health has hit rock bottom, I've pushed all my friends away in self-defence so have nobody left etc. I really, really hate the summer holidays.

Are you sure okay? I know everyone has been down recently. Some of my real friends look depressed as hell. :frown:

Yeah I hate that too. Reasons why I deleted instagram like a month after making it. :h:
Reply 12
Original post by Moonstruck16

I'm sure they want to be there for you/ they understand, if you reach out to them they'll will probably respond to you.
Original post by john_31
..?

Scroll up, he tried to @ you but it didn't work, so I did it instead. :smile:
yes but not because of vapid social media or whatever (dont use it for that reason)
i know i dont because no-one is there when it matters, people are all talk
i feel this too :smile:
Even i feel like i dont matter to my family especially my mum.
She doesnt care when im sick.
Doesnt care if i got bullied
Doesnt care if i got accident on the road (just happen recently)

Yea life sucks
Original post by OGGUS
Are you sure okay? I know everyone has been down recently. Some of my real friends look depressed as hell. :frown:

Meh. Life goes on.

Original post by Afuru
I'm sure they want to be there for you/ they understand, if you reach out to them they'll will probably respond to you.

I know they would, but everyone is so busy with their lives. A lot of my friends are graduating and have their own far more important things to worry about. They don't my issues added to the mix. Anyway, I'm not sure there's much anybody can do to help.
I really do matter to almost nobody. I have almost no remaining family, a small amount of friends. It's GAME OVERRRR MOTHERF*CKERRRRRRR!!!!
Reply 18
Original post by cbreef
Scroll up, he tried to @ you but it didn't work, so I did it instead. :smile:

Ah, gotcha :biggrin:
Reply 19
Original post by jasminev
i feel this too :smile:
Even i feel like i dont matter to my family especially my mum.
She doesnt care when im sick.
Doesnt care if i got bullied
Doesnt care if i got accident on the road (just happen recently)

Yea life sucks

I'm sure your mum cares but doesn't show it well

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending