Finance Question Watch

studentnoob96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

I'm a bit new here. I am 21 years of age, and a local college has agreed to take me in to study my A-Levels again. Due to some personal issues I was forced to drop out, and I never had the chance to go back so they have really thrown me a lifeline.

I live with my girlfriends Mum, and neither of them have any financial responsibility for me, however I do pay £150 a month in rent. There are some issues I have with my parents, and so this means that I have barely any contact with them, no financial support from them whatsoever (not that I expect this) and I cannot live with them either.

Obviously going back to college is going to put a bit of a choke on my finances, as I will only be able to work a weekend job and this means I'm going to have to leave my current job. Is there any finance help I can get? Everything that I look at online only mentions 16-19 year olds which is the usual age for A-Level students. I'm a bit worried that because I am taking A-Levels I will be unable to get any help.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by studentnoob96)
Hi,

I'm a bit new here. I am 21 years of age, and a local college has agreed to take me in to study my A-Levels again. Due to some personal issues I was forced to drop out, and I never had the chance to go back so they have really thrown me a lifeline.

I live with my girlfriends Mum, and neither of them have any financial responsibility for me, however I do pay £150 a month in rent. There are some issues I have with my parents, and so this means that I have barely any contact with them, no financial support from them whatsoever (not that I expect this) and I cannot live with them either.

Obviously going back to college is going to put a bit of a choke on my finances, as I will only be able to work a weekend job and this means I'm going to have to leave my current job. Is there any finance help I can get? Everything that I look at online only mentions 16-19 year olds which is the usual age for A-Level students. I'm a bit worried that because I am taking A-Levels I will be unable to get any help.
There's the advanced learner loan to help pay your tuition fees.

Are you a full time or part time student?
studentnoob96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
There's the advanced learner loan to help pay your tuition fees.

Are you a full time or part time student?
Hi,

I will be a full time student, the Advanced Learner Loan is that not for students attending an FE College on a one year course with the view to go to University after one year?
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by studentnoob96)
Hi,

I will be a full time student, the Advanced Learner Loan is that not for students attending an FE College on a one year course with the view to go to University after one year?
Good morning,

No that's not fully correct

The advanced learner loan is for any student who is 19+ years old wanting to go back into further education.

It covers A levels, level 3 and 4 diplomas/certificates(including access to higher education courses) and also level 5 and 6 vocational qualifications.

You are allowed up to 4 loans (so you can study 4 different things if you wanted) and it's tuition fees only. For any extra support that you need I would advise you to speak to your college or learning provider as they can help with further support
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed