The Student Room Group

Rich but humble girls?

Is it hard to find a girl who's parents have money but she is still really humble?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup, may as well give up now and go get a job.
If people are arrogant or up themselves because their parents have money, they probably aren't very worth knowing anyway.
Original post by Anonymous
Is it hard to find a girl who's parents have money but she is still really humble?

It shouldn't be. Most genuinely wealthy people, especially those of the "Old Money" kind, are very subtle and quiet about their wealth. Sometimes it's impossible to determine that they are rich, unless you happen to be very good at picking up hints. It's usually their schooling, choice of vocabulary, priorities and social circle, among other things, that give away how wealthy they are. It's not in your face. Only the crass, tasteless "New Money" types tend to be obnoxiously conspicuous about their family's wealth. This manifests itself in their lifestyle choices—big name designer brand clothing, gaudy and garish jewellery, flashy cars, etc.—and their blatant disregard for discretion.

Exhibit A: Old Money rich girl.

Exhibit B: New Money rich girl.

Exhibit C: Somewhere in the middle.
Reply 4
Yes it's possible and I've been with lots of them.

Yes. I know this from experience.

Why does it matter though? Are you a gold digger?
Reply 6
Yes, it's not mutually exclusive.

It is possible but she has to have had family money for decades that it becomes part of her through education, vacation, home and friends
Erm, why are you looking for rich girls?
If you're looking for someone rich - I must question your character. As a result, the girl may also question your character and you won't get anywhere.
Reply 10
My dad is from an old-money family, my mum from a relatively new one. My brother and I are both humble and down-to-earth. I've had jobs and such etc.
Original post by t.all
My dad is from an old-money family, my mum from a relatively new one. My brother and I are both humble and down-to-earth. I've had jobs and such etc.

Did you go to Eton, Shrewsbury or Rugby?
Reply 12
Original post by Wired_1800
Did you go to Eton, Shrewsbury or Rugby?

Nah I'm a girl lol
Original post by t.all
Nah I'm a girl lol

Okay, but were you privately educated?
Reply 14
Okay, but were you privately educated?

Yes, but being privately educated doesn't automatically make you big-headed and snobbish. People always seem surprised when they find out I went to a private school and I'm not stuck up
Original post by t.all
Yes, but being privately educated doesn't automatically make you big-headed and snobbish. People always seem surprised when they find out I went to a private school and I'm not stuck up

Depends on school you went to. I heard schools like stowe had snobs
Reply 16
Depends on school you went to. I heard schools like stowe had snobs

That's true, some schools seem to produce snobs, although I won't name any names...
Tbh I've found old-money girls to be a lot more down to earth and humble than new-money. I guess it comes down to the upbringing

Some of the most snobby people I know are, how do I put it...all fur coat and no knickers

Why do you care about money that isn't yours anyway?
Reply 19
Original post by LostYouth
It shouldn't be. Most genuinely wealthy people, especially those of the "Old Money" kind, are very subtle and quiet about their wealth. Sometimes it's impossible to determine that they are rich, unless you happen to be very good at picking up hints. It's usually their schooling, choice of vocabulary, priorities and social circle, among other things, that give away how wealthy they are. It's not in your face. Only the crass, tasteless "New Money" types tend to be obnoxiously conspicuous about their family's wealth. This manifests itself in their lifestyle choices—big name designer brand clothing, gaudy and garish jewellery, flashy cars, etc.—and their blatant disregard for discretion.

Exhibit A: Old Money rich girl.

Exhibit B: New Money rich girl.

Exhibit C: Somewhere in the middle.

Agreed. The somewhere in the Middle(ton) was also quite fun! I even made an old v new money thread some time ago, check it out, it's rare to find people informed on here.

It's also true that young people are often less discreet than their parents. I know people who show off and indulge in some excesses despite coming from old money families where the parents behave very discreetly. It might have to do with losing status and money during the last decades, being young (one might recall the bright young things), adhering to contemporary society's vision of wealth or simply that people are different and we shouldn't generalise or idolise old money. Personally, I have to say that I'm slightly more explicitly lavish than my parents.

Perhaps it's less true for girls, but it still holds, although they'd never go as far as buying a Lamborghini!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending