The Student Room Group

Final Year Project Ideas

Hi, I am in the final year doing computer science and I do not have any ideas of what should I do for my final project. I have been doing a research but nothing is coming out and my brain is not thinking of nothing .... which is bad because I done really bad in my second year and now I need to boost my confidence and to very well in my final year. If I can ask you guys to help me with different ideas I will appreciate. Thank you.
I have experience with Java(Medium) Swift(Medium) and Python(Medium) R(Medium)..
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by mikes19
Hi, I am in the final year doing computer science and I do not have any ideas of what should I do for my final project. I have been doing a research but nothing is coming out and my brain is not thinking of nothing .... which is bad because I done really bad in my second year and now I need to boost my confidence and to very well in my final year. If I can ask you guys to help me with different ideas I will appreciate. Thank you.
I have experience with Java(Medium) Swift(Medium) and Python(Medium) R(Medium)..

A popular project for Computer Science students is a mobile app. Android uses Java and XML mainly. Think about a problem or something in your life that you wish could be improved. I did a recipe building app for my project. Maybe you're into fitness and want to build some sort of fitness regime or perhaps you could build a brand new dating app? It should be complex enough for a final year project of course, but the original idea itself can be simple, it's just what features you add to it that gives it the complexity.
Original post by UWS
A popular project for Computer Science students is a mobile app. Android uses Java and XML mainly. Think about a problem or something in your life that you wish could be improved. I did a recipe building app for my project. Maybe you're into fitness and want to build some sort of fitness regime or perhaps you could build a brand new dating app? It should be complex enough for a final year project of course, but the original idea itself can be simple, it's just what features you add to it that gives it the complexity.

i have same issue and i am stressing at the moment. i have done alot of research but nothing at the moment. i need help???
Hi,
Think about your interests/skills/expertise in other subjects: which A levels did you do? If you did physics, for example and enjoyed it/did well, you could select a topic related to that e.g. perhaps a program to run a school practical on current/voltage or diodes/resistors that works out various parameters from entry of raw data OR if you are into mechanics/cars, perhaps a system to calculate, using matrices, the forces encountered by a certain automobile component then coming up with design data using these.

My background is in biology/medicine and when I did an MSc in CS, my project was to create a software package to record, store, analyse and retrieve patient information in a particular branch of medicine. The main languages taught in our course were java and sql, so I used a mysql database to which I connected my java GUI with JDBC.

Do you know some sql - if so you could create something in similar lines, but in the context of your background.

Hope this helps.

M
Have a look at some of the ideas in this list - maybe you'll find some inspiration:

http://services.lovelycoding.org/computer-science-project-ideas-final-year/

If you look at any of them and think "That sounds good, but I don't know how to do X" then remember that it's common for people to use their Final Year Project idea to teach themselves some new things which hadn't been covered in any of their degree modules - for example, how to turn text-to-speech, how to dynamically generate web content in JavaScript, how to automatically send some text to an A4 printer, etc.
Reply 5
In my opinion management systems as final year projects are not very interesting and are ****. I think good projects are where you can think of a real world use. Not just a system where you delete and edit products in a system.

I'm going to be in my final year next year and I'm thinking of a project to do with IoT devices, building a smart home that can be controlled via an APP or Website. With actual devices and sensors and all sorts of cool things
Original post by Async
In my opinion management systems as final year projects are not very interesting and are ****. I think good projects are where you can think of a real world use. Not just a system where you delete and edit products in a system.

I'm going to be in my final year next year and I'm thinking of a project to do with IoT devices, building a smart home that can be controlled via an APP or Website. With actual devices and sensors and all sorts of cool things

Yeah, if you can come up with good ideas which you find interesting then that's great, but while management systems are really boring, you don't need much imagination to come up with extra bits to pick up more marks :smile:

I'm using Angular to write a web-based warehouse stock control system that will work equally well on a desktop browser, phone or tablet. It covers loads of bases like database design, UI forms, bootstrap layouts, CSS... I'm adding an OAuth login portal for the user account stuff, with the site being hosted on an Azure Web App account. The server uses ASP.NET for the REST API and the client has to do AJAX calls to get and post data. There's UI validation, unit tests, logs, etc. Then there's the SDLC stuff to waffle on about...

Stuff like this might sound dull, but nothing in the mark scheme says that it has to be interesting, it just has to be complex enough to get the marks. Probably all the pieces on their own aren't enough, but the complexity comes from plugging it all together and actually getting stuff to work. And then the rest comes from the write-up, which is always boring, but worth a lot anyway :P
Reply 7
Original post by winterscoming
Yeah, if you can come up with good ideas which you find interesting then that's great, but while management systems are really boring, you don't need much imagination to come up with extra bits to pick up more marks :smile:

I'm using Angular to write a web-based warehouse stock control system that will work equally well on a desktop browser, phone or tablet. It covers loads of bases like database design, UI forms, bootstrap layouts, CSS... I'm adding an OAuth login portal for the user account stuff, with the site being hosted on an Azure Web App account. The server uses ASP.NET for the REST API and the client has to do AJAX calls to get and post data. There's UI validation, unit tests, logs, etc. Then there's the SDLC stuff to waffle on about...

Stuff like this might sound dull, but nothing in the mark scheme says that it has to be interesting, it just has to be complex enough to get the marks. Probably all the pieces on their own aren't enough, but the complexity comes from plugging it all together and actually getting stuff to work. And then the rest comes from the write-up, which is always boring, but worth a lot anyway :P

Eh, maybe it's just me but what you described just sounds like your basic web dev 101 setup. Using bootstrap means the majority of the hard work is done for you, as it allows for a responsive design (which means it scales nicely on any device). jQuery just makes writing the JavaScript that much easier.
Original post by Async
Eh, maybe it's just me but what you described just sounds like your basic web dev 101 setup. Using bootstrap means the majority of the hard work is done for you, as it allows for a responsive design (which means it scales nicely on any device). jQuery just makes writing the JavaScript that much easier.
If it were just a bunch of static web pages in HTML, JS and Bootstrap then yeah that'd probably be far too simple, but the front-end is a single-page app using Angular and TypeScript, so it's quite a lot more than basic web dev - it's more like building a mobile/desktop hybrid app which just happens to run in a browserfor the sake of portability. The responsive layout is the easy bit like you say.

Anyway, the point is that the marks come from complexity of having a lot of of different pieces working together, and from having a proper UI app which has its own workflow, not just a bunch of stand-alone pages.
Reply 9
hi, im pure math student,,,, can you help me,, what kind of ideal for my fyp.. help me
Original post by syaaaa
hi, im pure math student,,,, can you help me,, what kind of ideal for my fyp.. help me

This is the Computers Science forum, won’t get much help here with that. We practice Discrete Mathematics.
Hi,I've a app base security problem to developer, building up to building dedicated boards later with 3D prototyping, with business potential, Are university's interested in this type ofthinv
Found your post interesting to read. I can’t wait to see your post soon. Good Luck with the upcomingUpdate. This article is really very interesting and effective <a href=

Latest