The Student Room Group

Loans & Bursaries

Hello :smile:

I am starting a PGCE course at the University of York in September and I have a few questions concerning the financial side of the enrolment. Everything works quite differently in France and I would be grateful for any help. :smile:

I have applied to a Government Loan through Student Finance (EU17N Form) to cover my Tuition Fees - application which has been accepted/confirmed.

Following this application, I received a form entitled "Migrant Working Funding" by letter, a Maintenance Loan Form and the Higher Education Bursary Application Form (EU17B) by email. It seems that the latter is an income assessed bursary. Unless I got this wrong?

Also, I am entitled to a £25.000 bursary thanks to my undergraduate degree.

So my questions are:
- Are the Working Funding and the Maintenance Loan meant to help with living costs and do they need to be repaid?
- Can I benefit from both the £25K bursary and the Higher Education Bursary?

Many thanks for anyone who will be able to help me with those. :smile:
Original post by OphelieG

So my questions are:
- Are the Working Funding and the Maintenance Loan meant to help with living costs and do they need to be repaid?

Anything that's a loan has to be repaid. Once you earn over £21k per year, 9% of that you pay back. Anything that's a grant or bursary doesn't need to be paid back.
Original post by OphelieG
Hello :smile:

I am starting a PGCE course at the University of York in September and I have a few questions concerning the financial side of the enrolment. Everything works quite differently in France and I would be grateful for any help. :smile:

I have applied to a Government Loan through Student Finance (EU17N Form) to cover my Tuition Fees - application which has been accepted/confirmed.

Following this application, I received a form entitled "Migrant Working Funding" by letter, a Maintenance Loan Form and the Higher Education Bursary Application Form (EU17B) by email. It seems that the latter is an income assessed bursary. Unless I got this wrong?

Also, I am entitled to a £25.000 bursary thanks to my undergraduate degree.

So my questions are:

Hi

If you choose to apply for the migrant worker funding you won't be able to apply for the EU bursary (but yes you can apply for both the university bursary and the teaching agency bursary as far as I'm aware)

The migrant worker funding is not a separate loan to the maintenance loan. Migrant worker funding is basically just student finance england funding and you are given the same funding as a 'home' student as long as you are working in the UK, if you stop working your whole loan is stopped.

With the migrant worker letter they should of sent you a Student Finance England PN1 form. When you say you got a maintenance loan form, I'm assuming that's the PN1.
What happens if you choose to complete this is that your EU account and application gets deleted and your account is transferred to student finance England who will pay tuition fees and maintenance loan which means as I mentioned you can't apply for the EU bursary on the EUB form but you may be able to apply for a normal bursary from the university given to home students (if you have low income)

Basically you have two options which are

EU funding

To apply you send in the EU17N form with your ID

Tuition fee loan has to be paid back

EU Bursary

Possible to get the 25k Teaching Agency bursary you mentioned? Not sure on the eligibility for this which is why I only say possibly

SFE Migrant worker funding

To apply you send in the PN1 form with your employment contract, your id, last 3 months of payslips, most recent p60 - you get approved on a term by term basis which means your funding is blocked every term until evidence is received, this can result in payments to you being delayed. If you stop working then the funding stops. You can apply for the MW funding if your parents or spouse are working - I can discuss that in more detail if you request as the evidence is slightly different, also if your self employed the evidence is different.

The funding is the exact same as a home student

Maintenance loan has to be paid back

Tuition fees has to be paid back

Disabled students allowance (If applicable)

Grants for dependents funding (If you have dependents and if applicable)

Teaching agency bursary

Possibly a bursary from the university (You would need to ask the university if they will give this as it's up to them

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any further help
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Hello,

Many thanks for your replies!

The £25K bursary is offered by the university, and I have already received the confirmation I will get it. I don't think I'll apply for any of the other fundings (£25K is more than enough), but I just wanted to be sure what everything meant. It's so different from France that it's a bit confusing. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest