The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Getting a job at uni

I start uni in september (hopefully) and i didn't get the scholarship i applied for, meaning i will probably need to get a job. Will there be jobs advertised once I'm there?? When should i start looking? I have worked in retail for the past year so thats what id want. Any advice welcome (hopefully going to uni of leeds)
It's a moderately sized city with a university population - there will be jobs around. Typically retail stuff will be hiring periodically, and inevitably they'll be taking on christmas temps. Call centres are often a good, albeit somewhat draining, option for the summer holidays - they require no real qualifications, and don't really care if you leave after a couple months (or weeks) as their turnover rate is so high, and the anticipate this anyway. They also usually pay slightly better than minimum wage unlike most retail jobs.

There's also usually bar/waitstaff work around, although this tends to be a bit more competitive as these are the first things most students apply to. There may be some roles withing the university - e.g. temp work doing alumni funding drives, longer term library shelving type work. These are usually pretty hard to get into though as they don't need many and huge numbers apply for them.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Quick Reply

Latest