The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medical School Entry 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MedicPaeds05
Hey

Have you had a look at https://www.abdn.ac.uk/smmsn/undergraduate/medicine/uk-academic-requirements.php#panel537 ? What were the B grades in? What was your ukcat? And have you done work experience/voluntary work?

Thank you for responding quickly . I got biology, chemistry and Chinese A , English math and physic B. My ukcat was only 2520 band 2. Now I am trying to work hard on my advanced higher biology chemistry and math. I did know that Scotland medical school only consider higher so thinking to apply Aberdeen for 2018 entry, but so many applicants met AAAAB requirement , so do you think I may have a chance interviewing for conditional offer? Do you know if I apply England medical university which consider advanced higher only , should I apply with the predicted advanced higher or I had to wait until I actually get my result in August 2018? any advice will be appreciated it. Thank you!
Original post by Stevenchen
Thank you for responding quickly . I got biology, chemistry and Chinese A , English math and physic B. My ukcat was only 2520 band 2. Now I am trying to work hard on my advanced higher biology chemistry and math. I did know that Scotland medical school only consider higher so thinking to apply Aberdeen for 2018 entry, but so many applicants met AAAAB requirement , so do you think I may have a chance interviewing for conditional offer? Do you know if I apply England medical university which consider advanced higher only , should I apply with the predicted advanced higher or I had to wait until I actually get my result in August 2018? any advice will be appreciated it. Thank you!

Maybe ask the uni directly about grades but I imagine since you're predicted amazing adv higher results you'll be fine. It's honestly not just about grades so make sure your personal statement is great with work experience/voluntary work.

I have no experience or knowledge of English universities I'm afraid, but maybe have a look into that? Also remember you'd have to pay fees in England. I think you should apply and even if you don't get in this time round, it's good experience for the next time. I didn't get in 1st time round :smile:
Hi could you offer some advice please my daughter applied to Aberdeen last year got interview with 600 ukcat and band 2. She has AAAAB highers last year and AB advanced highers in chemistry and biology and A higher in physcology this year. She applied to Aberdeen Edinburgh Dundee and Glasgow. She has had to take a gap year to try again. Her Ukcat this year is 705 sj band 3. She has 1 month hospital experience different wards, care home experience, volunteering at a nursery, Duke of Edinburgh bronze and silver awards. Went to Tanzania to help build homes for orphaned children. She plays in a local brass band and competes in competitions. She only got Aberdeen interview last year. What do you think chances are this year? She has taken a course in phlembotomy and first aid training. She is trying to get work as a health care worker or similar role. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by scottishmum
Hi could you offer some advice please my daughter applied to Aberdeen last year got interview with 600 ukcat and band 2. She has AAAAB highers last year and AB advanced highers in chemistry and biology and A higher in physcology this year. She applied to Aberdeen Edinburgh Dundee and Glasgow. She has had to take a gap year to try again. Her Ukcat this year is 705 sj band 3. She has 1 month hospital experience different wards, care home experience, volunteering at a nursery, Duke of Edinburgh bronze and silver awards. Went to Tanzania to help build homes for orphaned children. She plays in a local brass band and competes in competitions. She only got Aberdeen interview last year. What do you think chances are this year? She has taken a course in phlembotomy and first aid training. She is trying to get work as a health care worker or similar role. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi :smile:

Grades look great so academics shouldn't be an issue. Edinburgh I think are normally quite heavy on the SJT part of the UKCAT so I'm not sure if band 3 will be okay but could always try. Vol/WE looks great! Remember to pass onto her not to list the experiences in her personal statement but rather than focus on one or two and talk about what she's learnt as every Med school wants quality. I think she stands a good chance, SJT at Aberdeen is normally used for borderline candidates post interview I think.
If she hasn't sent her application she should make her personal statement as strong as possible, and also reference. Did she ask for feedback after the Aberdeen interview? as you can request detailed feedback which I think would help a lot :smile:
Hi :smile:

Grades look great so academics shouldn't be an issue. Edinburgh I think are normally quite heavy on the SJT part of the UKCAT so I'm not sure if band 3 will be okay but could always try. Vol/WE looks great! Remember to pass onto her not to list the experiences in her personal statement but rather than focus on one or two and talk about what she's learnt as every Med school wants quality. I think she stands a good chance, SJT at Aberdeen is normally used for borderline candidates post interview I think.
If she hasn't sent her application she should make her personal statement as strong as possible, and also reference. Did she ask for feedback after the Aberdeen interview? as you can request detailed feedback which I think would help a lot :smile:

Hi thanks very much for your reply thanks for your advice 😃 she got feedback from Aberdeen and they said she had to brush up on interview skills and have better answers on a few of the stations. It was her 1st interview and she was really nervous. Will mention all this to her. We live in a rural community so might put this somewhere on ps? Do you mean strong references on ps? Thanks again 😃
She also had a late interview last year think April. 😃😃
Original post by scottishmum
Hi thanks very much for your reply thanks for your advice 😃 she got feedback from Aberdeen and they said she had to brush up on interview skills and have better answers on a few of the stations. It was her 1st interview and she was really nervous. Will mention all this to her. We live in a rural community so might put this somewhere on ps? Do you mean strong references on ps? Thanks again 😃

That's good she knows what to work on! I live in a rural area too and highly recommend a rural placement if possible as Aberdeen seemed to love it at interview because of the remote and rural placement years. Strong personal statement and strong reference :smile:

Ahh I had a late interview too I was initially rejected in December then offered interview in Feb then given an offer so please wish her the best of luck :smile:
Hi thanks will pass all this on 😃 good luck in your medicine course later this year 😃 thanks again.
Reply 88
Hi dear. I will like to know more on how to go about about applying thtough UCAS and all I need to do for securing admission into university of Aberdeen
Reply 89
Hey! I've deferred too! We will be class mates. Are you a school leaver?
Reply 90
MedicPaeds05 I deferred till next September too. I guess we will be class mates. Are you a school leaver or nastier student?
That's good she knows what to work on! I live in a rural area too and highly recommend a rural placement if possible as Aberdeen seemed to love it at interview because of the remote and rural placement years. Strong personal statement and strong reference :smile:

Ahh I had a late interview too I was initially rejected in December then offered interview in Feb then given an offer so please wish her the best of luck :smile:

Hey Medicpaeds,

I am applying to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Dundee and Manchester. I have 2.1, 685 and a good p.s. according to ex medic interviewers. Should I be expecting interviews? Should I start preparing for them now?
Original post by singhaman
Hey Medicpaeds,

I am applying to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Dundee and Manchester. I have 2.1, 685 and a good p.s. according to ex medic interviewers. Should I be expecting interviews? Should I start preparing for them now?

Sounds like you have a strong application, remember that medicine is a course where many strong applicants are applying so it’s hard to know who’s going to be offered interviews or not. You will usually have plenty of notice for interview dates if any offers for interview come in so you don’t need to start prepping right away unless you really want to :smile:
What was your degree in?

And just because I haven't checked their requirements yet, do any of these uni's grade/look at your other academic achievements? Or do they purely go on degree/UKCAT/PS?

Adam

Original post by singhaman
Hey Medicpaeds,

Original post by AdamCW
What was your degree in?

And just because I haven't checked their requirements yet, do any of these uni's grade/look at your other academic achievements? Or do they purely go on degree/UKCAT/PS?

Adam

Hey Adam

I know Aberdeen request you to fill in a form and bring it to interview which basically says where you've done work experience/voluntary work, and who to contact at each place. I'm not sure if they check up on it or not or what they use it for.

Dundee I think there was something had to fill in online? It feels ages ago now though. Glasgow I really can't remember :frown: When you say other academic achievements do you mean school? I think it just depends what your degree was in etc
Yeah, I meant whether they look at your A-Levels, as mine are very sub-par. I'm only applying to uni's which only look at the degree / work ex / UKCAT to give me the best chance obviously.

No problem about the filling in work exp forms etc. I had that last year with Warwick too :smile:

Thanks for the reply

Hey Adam

I know Aberdeen request you to fill in a form and bring it to interview which basically says where you've done work experience/voluntary work, and who to contact at each place. I'm not sure if they check up on it or not or what they use it for.

Dundee I think there was something had to fill in online? It feels ages ago now though. Glasgow I really can't remember :frown: When you say other academic achievements do you mean school? I think it just depends what your degree was in etc
Original post by AdamCW
Yeah, I meant whether they look at your A-Levels, as mine are very sub-par. I'm only applying to uni's which only look at the degree / work ex / UKCAT to give me the best chance obviously.

No problem about the filling in work exp forms etc. I had that last year with Warwick too :smile:

Thanks for the reply

Ohh I see! I didn't do A-Levels as I'm a scottish student I did Highers, and tbh my highers weren't great and had absolutely no science and I still got offers for Dundee, Glasgow and Aberdeen. So should be fine with Aberdeen :smile:
Ohh I see! I didn't do A-Levels as I'm a scottish student I did Highers, and tbh my highers weren't great and had absolutely no science and I still got offers for Dundee, Glasgow and Aberdeen. So should be fine with Aberdeen :smile:

Ah okay cool. That's good to know. I'm applying to KCL, Aberdeen, Glasgow and then the 4th is still up for grabs I think. Potentially Dundee or Warwick though. We'll see. My application is pretty much done now anyway, so it's a case of phoning around and seeing where my best chance would be.

What interview prep did you do for all your interviews? Well done on them all by the way. Did you apply last year only and get a deferred place?
Original post by AdamCW
Ah okay cool. That's good to know. I'm applying to KCL, Aberdeen, Glasgow and then the 4th is still up for grabs I think. Potentially Dundee or Warwick though. We'll see. My application is pretty much done now anyway, so it's a case of phoning around and seeing where my best chance would be.

What interview prep did you do for all your interviews? Well done on them all by the way. Did you apply last year only and get a deferred place?

Dundee is a really good uni, in the end I was between Aberdeen and Dundee. Dundee is a great med school, cheap city to live in, lots of student stuff going on, good for nights out etc. I chose Aberdeen in the end as I live in the Highlands just now (and Aberdeen do Remote & Rural) so that was a big pull and a few other reasons, it's defo not a cheap city though! If you can, I highly recommend taking a trip to see Dundee Uni before sending your application.

So I used a few interview books including "Medical School Interviews" by Oliver Picard and George Lee, also really just googled medical school interviews etc. It's very hard to be prepared for the role plays and tbh I didn't know they were going to be there so they were very much dealt with on the day. Other than that, ensured I knew my personal statement in depth, special features of each course/uni, went over experiences I hadn't put in my personal statement just in case I needed more to chat about. I never rehearsed answers because it becomes very obvious I think and not very natural.

Thanks :smile: So my first time applying was straight from school and got rejected which isn't shocking considering I didn't have science highers. Then applied in my final year of my degree and got given deferred offers for Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow. I chose to defer for a number of reasons but mainly so I could do more rural health research, I'm a GP PT so wanted to do more things with ante/post natal fitness, and also doing some other extra bits.
I'd love to live close to the highlands to be honest. I'm a huge outdoor person, and living down south where it's flat is a massive poo bag. It's one of the things that has enticed to look at Scottish uni's. Both Aberdeen and Dundee do look great. It would be great to head up there to check them out soon too and the cities. I hope to do that soon after the applications have gone.

Good tips though, thanks. I did a fair bit of reading last year. But really needed to prep myself more. I had interviews at KCL and Warwick but was living in Sweden at the time and really didn't prep and read enough I don't think.

Still, hopefully this year is the one :smile:

Dundee is a really good uni, in the end I was between Aberdeen and Dundee. Dundee is a great med school, cheap city to live in, lots of student stuff going on, good for nights out etc. I chose Aberdeen in the end as I live in the Highlands just now (and Aberdeen do Remote & Rural) so that was a big pull and a few other reasons, it's defo not a cheap city though! If you can, I highly recommend taking a trip to see Dundee Uni before sending your application.

So I used a few interview books including "Medical School Interviews" by Oliver Picard and George Lee, also really just googled medical school interviews etc. It's very hard to be prepared for the role plays and tbh I didn't know they were going to be there so they were very much dealt with on the day. Other than that, ensured I knew my personal statement in depth, special features of each course/uni, went over experiences I hadn't put in my personal statement just in case I needed more to chat about. I never rehearsed answers because it becomes very obvious I think and not very natural.

Thanks :smile: So my first time applying was straight from school and got rejected which isn't shocking considering I didn't have science highers. Then applied in my final year of my degree and got given deferred offers for Aberdeen, Dundee and Glasgow. I chose to defer for a number of reasons but mainly so I could do more rural health research, I'm a GP PT so wanted to do more things with ante/post natal fitness, and also doing some other extra bits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending