SalCh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hello,

I'm a law aspirant from India. I will be taking my LNAT in September. I see that the essay section of LNAT usually is based on current issues in the world and UK. Can you please suggest how I should go about it (if there are any interesting topics you think I should cover). Also, any kind of prep related help and suggestions are welcome. I'm currently using "Mastering the National admission test for law" by Mark Shepherd for my preparation.

Thank you so much!
aoife.olujemi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi! I'm also taking the LNAT this year too (mid-October) here in the UK so we're in the same boat hahah I'd suggest reading newspapers like the economist, the independent, the guardian, washington post, the telegraph etc. Because the essay is about cultural awareness as well as Western affairs/politics.

I've heard Shepherd's book is a good tool too! (I've ordered it) and there are also a lot free resources on the internet with sample essay questions and multiple choice style questions so definitely give those a try! Make sure you're timing yourself as well so in the real exam you won't have any unexpected timing errors and stuff and using the lnat websites simulation text shows the format of the test too.

Good luck! You'll do great
SalCh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you so much. I've been waiting someone to reply to this post cause I am based in India and the sample prep test I've seen are usually based on the issues in the UK, I lack the same kind of understanding and the resources too. But thanks for the suggestions!

If it's not too much to ask, please feel free to send me any interesting news articles that you come across which you think anyone taking the Lnat should read.

Thank you once again.

Have a wonderful day.
jesskeayy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i sat my LNAT September just gone. I did months of prep for it, especially covering issues for essays that i felt might come up with other people's guidance/suggestions. Honestly i'd just work on your essay skills more than predicting topics. Work mostly on your critical thinking for the multiple choice questions. If you don't get above the pass mark (usually about 21/42) the universities won't even look at your essay, you're automatically removed from the selection process. You could write an amazing essay and flop on the multi choice questions, which would mean that you've wasted your time on essay topics, which in all honesty you cannot predict. None of the three topics that came up on my LNAT to choose from were 'current' world issues i.e. brexit, migrant crisis etc. The question i chose was about consent in medical aspects i.e. who should be responsible for choosing a child's medical treatment. This certainly was not something that i could have expected, with such wide issues going on in the world at that time! Good luck
artemis_sprds
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My sister sat the LNAT, and I know from her experience that the most important yet obvious thing to do was TIMED papers on the computer. Not just a few, as many as you can. She also memorised some nice phrases beforehand to put in her essay and for potential essays, e.g. should the government reintroduce the death penalty, and create essay plans, so that you think of ideas beforehand as time is quite limited. Another thing, which not a lot of people will say, is that unless you are applying to Oxbridge, you don't have to rush giving the LNAT in e.g. October. You could send it with your application in December or beginning of January as it only takes a few days to be marked. Also in case it doesn't go well, if you are applying to uni, have a few Unis e.g. Queen Mary that don't require LNAT. Hope this helps and good luck.
Arbitio LNAT
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

For the essays, I think you should not stress out about the topics being UK related. As you will have a selection of three essays, I think it is more about appreciating some of the political, social and economic considerations that should preoccupy an aspiring lawyer

For example, think about the nature of free speech, discrimination, rule of law, human rights, economic sanctions, welfare, censorship, democracy, separation of powers, foreign intervention etc.

I would agree that you should not aim to predict topics. You should practice writing essays under full exam conditions, ideally on a computer. I think you will be able to come with arguments on the day, so prioritise your essay skills: do you communicate clearly, can you demonstrate strong reasoning and critical judgment, do you know how to write persuasively?

For practice questions, there are online resources/courses, if you find ordering books a tiresome process. I think with multiple-choice questions, it is about sufficient practice that you develop an understanding of the types of questions, develop an approach to questions that works best for you (do you read the passage first and then consider the questions, or vice versa?) and just getting in the swing of reading a lot with a critical lens.

Hope this helps!
Elsiecat
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Arbitio LNAT)
Hi,

I would agree that you should not aim to predict topics. You should practice writing essays under full exam conditions, ideally on a computer. I think you will be able to come with arguments on the day, so prioritise your essay skills: do you communicate clearly, can you demonstrate strong reasoning and critical judgment, do you know how to write persuasively?

For practice questions, there are online resources/courses,
Hope this helps!

Hello, Where would one find such online resources? Would be very appreciative if you shared
PKB2503
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by aoife.olujemi)
Hi! I'm also taking the LNAT this year too (mid-October) here in the UK so we're in the same boat hahah I'd suggest reading newspapers like the economist, the independent, the guardian, washington post, the telegraph etc. Because the essay is about cultural awareness as well as Western affairs/politics.

I've heard Shepherd's book is a good tool too! (I've ordered it) and there are also a lot free resources on the internet with sample essay questions and multiple choice style questions so definitely give those a try! Make sure you're timing yourself as well so in the real exam you won't have any unexpected timing errors and stuff and using the lnat websites simulation text shows the format of the test too.

Good luck! You'll do great
Hi, do you know where to locate these sample essay questions and multiple choice style questions?! I have been looking really hard to find some practise papers
bigeyeshijabi
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PKB2503)
Hi, do you know where to locate these sample essay questions and multiple choice style questions?! I have been looking really hard to find some practise papers
Hi! Just thought I would help out as nobody else has replied. There are a couple.of sample papers on the LNAT website (lnat.com) and also some really useful tips! When are you sitting your LNAT? Im doing mine on the 20th of October. Good luck! 😊
PKB2503
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bigeyeshijabi)
Hi! Just thought I would help out as nobody else has replied. There are a couple.of sample papers on the LNAT website (lnat.com) and also some really useful tips! When are you sitting your LNAT? Im doing mine on the 20th of October. Good luck! 😊
Thank you! Are you just practising with the resources offered from the LNAT website? Ah, I am doing mine on the 24th of October! Good luck to you too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (392)
56.57%
I don't have everything I need (301)
43.43%

Watched Threads