The Student Room Group

Should I be embarrassed about living at home, I'm 25

So I'm 25. I'm getting to the stage of my life where I want to be moving out and have some independence. But I also have ambitions of saving up for a deposit on a home and to train as a counsellor. It's unlikely I could afford that if I moved out. I work full time and always help out with the bills, obviously. My mum is studying full time so she wants me to stay at home to help out. My brother lives here too. He's training to be a maths teacher. I feel like I'm 25 and I should be living on my own. Am I right thinking that? Should I feel ashamed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by o-glez
So I'm 25. I'm getting to the stage of my life where I want to be moving out and have some independence. But I also have ambitions of saving up for a deposit on a home and to train as a counsellor. It's unlikely I could afford that if I moved out. I work full time and always help out with the bills, obviously. My mum is studying full time so she wants me to stay at home to help out. My brother lives here too. He's training to be a maths teacher. I feel like I'm 25 and I should be living on my own. Am I right thinking that? Should I feel ashamed?

I think even a decade ago then you might have been looked down upon but I think it's probably quite sensible now.
Your friends that have moved out will be in student digs or will be working full time.

Are you currently studying to be a counsellor? If not make steps to get it started and things will feel a bit less futile.
Not at all, you are there for financial reasons and are currently doing x, y, and z to get on with your life. Given current house and rent prices, a lot of people in their 20s are living with their parents. So it really is not that uncommon and I have done it myself.

If you had said you spend your days playing computer games and scratching your crotch because you are too lazy to get a job or be in education then I would give you a different answer.
It all seems reasonable, especially today.
It's so much harder for your generation to get a start!
If you're all getting on well then why not?
You're all building promising careers
I wish you all luck
I'm not moving out till I get married I have made my mind up, the reason why is that if I move out number 1 I would not be able to save money and number 2 is that I would get really lonely by my self
you have a plan and are currently helping out your parents so there is no reason to feel ashamed. if you we just living off of them it would be looked down upon but that definately is not the case.
I'm 27 and I'm only just making steps to move out now. I know several people my age who are in the same position. The ones who moved out very young still aren't in very good positions, financially. When I get my own place soon, I'll be able to furnish it nicely right off the bat, and have plenty of savings to fall back on, should I run into any problems with my appliances or any other similar domestic problem - can't be said for others, still borrowing money from their parents every time their washing machine or dishwasher goes bust and they're not far off 30 years old :rofl: At least I know I'll be 100% independent when I move out.
Reply 7
Original post by o-glez

I wouldn't be embarrassed. tbh with the way our student debt is, and circumstances and job markets.. i don't blame you tbh. I think, its gonna get worst unless the uni fees decline tbh. Don't worry man, you focus on you :smile:
Original post by o-glez

It's fairly normal these days. As other have said as long as you are taking steps to improve your lot and save up for your house, it's the right move. Some parents don't mind it as much as you'd think, especially if they are getting help with the house work and paying a bit of money from house keep from their kids.
I'm pretty sure my uncle moved out when he was 30 lol - it's not too bad :smile:
Reply 10
No, you shouldn't feel like that.
A lot of people have to do it, which isn't a good sign, either of who they are, or how things are where they live. It means there's a lack of sustainable work in their household or in their community/country. As long as you're saving up and not dependent on your family I don't see the problem but owning your own property is obviously ideal but uncommon.
Reply 12
Thanks everyone. I am taking steps towards training in counselling. And I'm working pretty much full time. I feel no pressure to move out, and in fact, my mum said she'd have to move to a cheaper place if I moved out. So she wants me to stay at home. To be honest, I was in a relationship early in the year. She was 24 and managed to be able to afford her place and live independently. I don't see why I can't. I feel if I net met a girl, I'd feel embarrassed admitting that I live at home. But to be honest that's my only motivation for moving out! In case I met someone. My band mate is 36 and he lives with his dad. But I think his circumstances are different.
My cousin is 32 and has only just moved out of his family home. Similarly, my mum has a cousin who's in his 50s now and again, has only just moved out (then again, he was staying at home for different reasons).

It's so normal in this day and age to be at home for longer than your parents would have been. I'm 22 and I'm nowhere near ready to move out - I can't justify paying £1000 a month on rent, you must be joking!

If you meet a girl and she has a problem with you living at home, then she's not a very nice girl! Tbh, if I met someone and he said he was living at home to help out his family/save up for a deposit - I would genuinely praise him. So many people want to move out as soon as they get a job, pay extortionate amounts in rent and act like they're living the high life - unless they're earning a huge amount of money - it's all just short-term happiness.

*I live in London, so obviously my views on moving out are heavily skewed by the fact you need £80,000 deposit, a small organ donation and a monthly salary of £4k just to even be considered for a mortgage*

**Previous statement was a slight exaggeration**
Reply 14
Original post by scrunkie
My cousin is 32 and has only just moved out of his family home. Similarly, my mum has a cousin who's in his 50s now and again, has only just moved out (then again, he was staying at home for different reasons).
S
It's so normal in this day and age to be at home for longer than your parents would have been. I'm 22 and I'm nowhere near ready to move out - I can't justify paying £1000 a month on rent, you must be joking!

If you meet a girl and she has a problem with you living at home, then she's not a very nice girl! Tbh, if I met someone and he said he was living at home to help out his family/save up for a deposit - I would genuinely praise him. So many people want to move out as soon as they get a job, pay extortionate amounts in rent and act like they're living the high life - unless they're earning a huge amount of money - it's all just short-term happiness.

*I live in London, so obviously my views on moving out are heavily skewed by the fact you need £80,000 deposit, a small organ donation and a monthly salary of £4k just to even be considered for a mortgage*

**Previous statement was a slight exaggeration**

True, you live in what is basically the land of the rent! I live near Liverpool in an area where house prices are reasonable.
It might be worth hanging on and observing changes in the housing market. I might get a better deal in a few years, when I have a larger deposit and I can move out without feeling guilty.
There's no shame in living at home at 25. House and flats are so expensive these days, even to just rent, I'd still be living at home if I didn't meet my boyfriend.
Original post by o-glez
True, you live in what is basically the land of the rent! I live near Liverpool in an area where house prices are reasonable.
It might be worth hanging on and observing changes in the housing market. I might get a better deal in a few years, when I have a larger deposit and I can move out without feeling guilty.

100% - just don't feel bad about it, I'll probably be at home till I'm 30 or priced out of London altogether so you're lucky in that sense! Moving out isn't something to rush and neither is buying a property - imagine if you just want to move out so quickly and buy the first place you get accepted for and then a few months / years down the line, you see you could have got something better for the same/less money.

It doesn't hurt to wait - especially if you're not desperate to move out and it's only the 'what will people think' that's making you think like this.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I'm 27 and I'm only just making steps to move out now. I know several people my age who are in the same position. The ones who moved out very young still aren't in very good positions, financially. When I get my own place soon, I'll be able to furnish it nicely right off the bat, and have plenty of savings to fall back on, should I run into any problems with my appliances or any other similar domestic problem - can't be said for others, still borrowing money from their parents every time their washing machine or dishwasher goes bust and they're not far off 30 years old :rofl: At least I know I'll be 100% independent when I move out.

I thought you were younger for some reason lmao.
Original post by WoodyMKC

I admire you
Original post by o-glez
Thanks everyone. I am taking steps towards training in counselling. And I'm working pretty much full time. I feel no pressure to move out, and in fact, my mum said she'd have to move to a cheaper place if I moved out. So she wants me to stay at home. To be honest, I was in a relationship early in the year. She was 24 and managed to be able to afford her place and live independently. I don't see why I can't. I feel if I net met a girl, I'd feel embarrassed admitting that I live at home. But to be honest that's my only motivation for moving out! In case I met someone. My band mate is 36 and he lives with his dad. But I think his circumstances are different.

Any girl who judges you for living at home is probably a snob and not worth your time. You have a full time job, you're training towards a better career, you contribute to your household and offer financial support to your mum. That's nothing to be embarrassed about, if anything you should be proud of yourself.

Also, most people only move out because they have to (for grad schemes/jobs in other cities) or because they've had financial help from their parents, so they don't have to worry about paying their own rent anyway. Anyone else living on their own at 24 is probably lonely and living off microwave meals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending