Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am having trouble deciding between these to subjects fir my gcse

I enjoy both of them and am good at both - although I think Classics will be more intreuging

I really would like to get into oxbridge and classics is good for this

Which do you think

PS: If i do geo this means I'll be able to do subjects (most importantly my vocational one) with my friends

Please help

Thank you so much

Jojo

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Are thoses for a-levels or GCSE?
    I don't think it really matters for GCSE, i mean i don't think "oxbridge" are really that bothered about what you do for GCSE. However, i did Geography for GCSE and thought it was really boring (esp. the physical geography part), but most people in my class really liked it and thought it was easy (except me). So i guess my advice is if you like classics do classics, if you want to put yourself through lessons in ice ages, truncated spurs and all the most boring things on earth shoved in 30 minutes a week then do Geography.

ReputationRep:
    Do classical civilization! I did latin at GCSE and it was soooooo fun One of the best aspects of the course was the historical side! Just do what you enjoy and study something that fascinates you for two years rather than study something you don't enjoy because Oxbridge might prefer it.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't do geography most of my friends found it incredibly boring but classics is quite interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm but like me she is worried about not doing vocational subjects with her friends - would that afect her (and my i guess ) grade.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do Classics at degree level and enjoy it, then do classics.it will be easier to do an A-level in it if you already have the gcse i would imagine.

if you dont like geog, dont do it, regardless of if your friends are doing it. You will hate doing the homework even more than if you liked the subject. You wont like the lessons, you wont revise as well for the exams, you will get a lower grade, and if you are wanting to apply to oxbridge then its as well to make sure your gcses are as high as possible to give you the best possible chance.

If you do like both, but want to do a degree in classics (if youre only in year 9, this may change in the next 4 years) do classics.

Or, do both and drop another subject if you can.

ReputationRep:
    GEOGRAPHY! GEOGRAPHY! GEOGRAPHY! GEOGRAPHY! GEOGRAPHY! GEOGRAPHY! ....
    but then again I'm biased... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'd say do watever u really want to do!

If u want to A level Classical civilisation, then I don't think you need to have done it at GCSE level - not at my school anyway (its only offered at A level there) - but better check with your teachers and school first. You will probably have to have GCSE Geo for A Level though - but only do it if you really want to as it can be quite a demanding course (especially if your teach is a battleaxe like mine!!)

If you really want to be with your friends, you could do GCSE Geography, then drop it and continue Clasical Civilisation at AS/A Level. I reckon this could impress future employers etc, coz it will widen your range of knowledge and skills.

But don't do a course you don't want to take under pressure from friends - you can always make new friends in your class. civ class.

=======
    Suzanne
    =======

I've just finished my GCSE's, and next year I'm doin History, Spanish, Geography and Class. Civ.

ReputationRep:
    GEOGRAPHY!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.