Turn on thread page Beta

EMA - who's getting it in september? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My sister is getting £10 a week. Don't know why she isn't getting £30 tbh, my parents are always saying we're so poor compared to everyone else! :rolleyes: Anyway, it's not fair, my sister is lazy and doesn't put any effort into schoolwork, whereas i've always worked hard and what do i get...nothing! Suppose it helps what with top-up fees being introduced though. Is that why they've introduced it, because if not then i think it's totally stupid.

ReputationRep:
    like someone said, it's a brill idea if they tweak it slightly.

at the moment it's based on attendance, it should be based on attendance AND work quality. one of my friends attends but does bugger all, his choice, to him it's easy, 30quid a week for turning up and falling asleep.

ReputationRep:
    i think its a good idea but there are some aspects that are a little ubnfair.
    my house hold income is just over the limit by a tiny little bit so i dont recieve it,fair enough. but my friend who goes to a very expensive private school does recieve it even though his parents are extreamly well off. this is simply because he lives only with his mum and so it goes on her income alone, which is just under the limit. is this fair?! surely if someone can afford to pay to go to school, they dont need help maintaining their education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Widowmaker)
    Are you getting £30, £20, or £10?

This thread is no way intentional of ridiculing your financial situation. I am in this situation and I will be getting £30 a week, plus a max of £500 bonuses.

I think it is a really good idea and it will really help me when I go to university, e.g. for accommodation, course fees, food, etc.

The first good idea from the government in my eyes.

So, good idea, bad idea? What do you think?
    Bwhahahahahahaa, I've been getting £30 a week for the past.......well.......year, but still......that's a lot of money. It's been piloted here for the last 5 or 6 years I think - :confused: at least 4 years anyway, my friend got it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)
    My sister is getting £10 a week. Don't know why she isn't getting £30 tbh, my parents are always saying we're so poor compared to everyone else! :rolleyes: Anyway, it's not fair, my sister is lazy and doesn't put any effort into schoolwork, whereas i've always worked hard and what do i get...nothing! Suppose it helps what with top-up fees being introduced though. Is that why they've introduced it, because if not then i think it's totally stupid.
    Well obviously your parents earn between £24k and £30k (approx)
    and mine earn less than £19999 combined, so therefore you cannot be deemed poor.

ReputationRep:
    EMA ? im guessing this isnt European Martial Arts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr_Homosexual)
    yeah: good idea... im getting £30 a week from it: the certificates came through the other day

thought it stopped at 19 i.e. you wont get it in uni.... ?
    Which means those who did A levels later on for university application may not be in this category such as myself. I've discussed this in my politics class and there was an agreement that £30 is not enough, perhaps £50. We live in an expensive area mind you.

ReputationRep:
    I get nothing. My friend is going to get £10 a week. The difference in household income is very small - we're just over, he's just under. I'm one of three children, he's an only child. Therefore, his parents have more to spend on him than mine do on me. Life just isn't fair sometimes ...

ReputationRep:
    Nothing, dammit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer)
    I get nothing. My friend is going to get £10 a week. The difference in household income is very small - we're just over, he's just under. I'm one of three children, he's an only child. Therefore, his parents have more to spend on him than mine do on me. Life just isn't fair sometimes ...
    i can see your argument there... maybe it would be better if the levels of income were adapted during the application to reflect a 'per child' or 'per person' perspective.... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i get fa ¦[

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a bad idea, that is because it discriminates (sp?) against the slightly better off students (30 - 40k) when in all honesty if I was in a year eligible for the scheme I would fall in. But my parents don't spend much money on me. I work as well as go to 6th form and earn around £40 - £150 a school week, has this affected my studies? of course it has, i'm capable of A's but instead got B's and C's, still, I pay my way (sort of). So the worse of students could concentrate on thier studdies, and me, :rolleyes: fail. Also, think of all the idiots he would stay on at school for the free cash, and then annoy the whole class by smartass comments.

It's a good scheme, but it's unfair. Are parents of higher income famillies expected to fund the gap for their children of £30 pluss bonnuses.

Also quick question, I dont know how much my parents earn but it's not to much over 30k I don't think. But anyway we get the minimum grant for uni. I have an older sister who my parents have funded the diffrence between the uni loanshe gets and the uni loan some of the poorer students get. Anyway, so my question; because of this second child situation, do I qualify for a larger student loan?

ReputationRep:
    *sticks hand in air*
    £30
    *lowers hand*

ReputationRep:
    Im receiving it, my family are as poor as the church mouse. Its quite silly as I really do think that £30 is excessive for education costs but is gd for a bit of extra income for your bank balance...
    but im not gonna complain!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fade Into Black)
    Im receiving it, my family are as poor as the church mouse. Its quite silly as I really do think that £30 is excessive for education costs but is gd for a bit of extra income for your bank balance...
    but im not gonna complain!!!
    It can mean that someone can work less hours at work, and spend more time studying. So it all helps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    It can mean that someone can work less hours at work, and spend more time studying. So it all helps...
    and, some people can be paying transport costs up to that much if they life quite a distance from the college etc... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    and, some people can be paying transport costs up to that much if they life quite a distance from the college etc... :rolleyes:
    Which I will be, well, not quite that much, but I've managed to go through £20 a week before now because of transport... Although that was when I was getting the school bus. £1 for a one way to go... what is it? 2 miles? It's a bit excessive... Especially when people from further away get to go for free...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    Which I will be, well, not quite that much, but I've managed to go through £20 a week before now because of transport... Although that was when I was getting the school bus. £1 for a one way to go... what is it? 2 miles? It's a bit excessive... Especially when people from further away get to go for free...
    just over 4 miles, and how is £1 each way times twice a day (£2) times 5 days (£10) £20? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    just over 4 miles, and how is £1 each way times twice a day (£2) times 5 days (£10) £20? :rolleyes:
    Add on lunch money... Also add on stationary, bearing in mind I always lose/break rulers, I'm doing art, therefor use a lot of my own equipment. That £30 a week will be very useful...

EDIT: Oooo, and where did you get that bendy ruler from that makes it so much easier to draw curves on graphs? :rolleyes: I want one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleff)
    EDIT: Oooo, and where did you get that bendy ruler from that makes it so much easier to draw curves on graphs? :rolleyes: I want one...
    think it was partners, but might be whsmiths

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.