Can you really become an accountant with a biochemistry degree? Watch

jessop140
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I've read that you can become an accountant with a biochemistry degree. I was wondering whether this was possible. I have always been interested in my maths and sciences but would not like to pursue science as a career although I do enjoy learning about it.
LostYouth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jessop140)
So I've read that you can become an accountant with a biochemistry degree. I was wondering whether this was possible. I have always been interested in my maths and sciences but would not like to pursue science as a career although I do enjoy learning about it.
Why would you want to be an accountant?
Isinglass
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
.Given that you don't actually need a degree at all in order to become an accountant, it would seem unlikely that any degree that you had already taken would prevent you from training to be one.

Leaving aside the question as to why one might want to become an accountant at all (the potential salary?), have you already done a Biochemistry degree, or are you contemplating doing a Biochemistry degree with a view to training as an accountant afterwards?
jessop140
Rep:
?
(Original post by Isinglass)
.Given that you don't actually need a degree at all in order to become an accountant, it would seem unlikely that any degree that you had already taken would prevent you from training to be one.

Leaving aside the question as to why one might want to become an accountant at all (the potential salary?), have you already done a Biochemistry degree, or are you contemplating doing a Biochemistry degree with a view to training as an accountant afterwards?
I am finding it difficult to find a work experience placement in accounting at the firms in my local area so I do not entirely know what the pros and cons of being an accountant are. I am not saying I definitely want to become an accountant but it would be interesting to see what degrees would open doors to other career options. However, I have always been interested in maths and sciences. I think I would enjoy taking a science related degree more than a purely maths degree but as none of my a levels are economics or accounting, I don't think I can do a degree related to accounting besides a mathematics degree
jessop140
Rep:
?
(Original post by LostYouth)
Why would you want to be an accountant?
I am not saying I want to be an accountant but I wanted to know what opportunities would be possible if I took a biochemistry degree
LostYouth
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am not saying I want to be an accountant but I wanted to know what opportunities would be possible if I took a biochemistry degree
Ah. That's easy. Law conversion, finance (from investment banking to private equity), teaching, graduate management schemes, graduate medicine route... the possibilities are endless. For some of those possible pathways, however, your chances of success largely depend on which university the degree's from.
mrjowanna
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am finding it difficult to find a work experience placement in accounting at the firms in my local area so I do not entirely know what the pros and cons of being an accountant are. I am not saying I definitely want to become an accountant but it would be interesting to see what degrees would open doors to other career options. However, I have always been interested in maths and sciences. I think I would enjoy taking a science related degree more than a purely maths degree but as none of my a levels are economics or accounting, I don't think I can do a degree related to accounting besides a mathematics degree

I was exactly in the same position as you, I wanted to do a biochemistry degree, and do accountancy afterwards. However after AS results I decided to apply for an accounting degree, I didn't do any Economics/business studies/accounting A Levels, so it is definitely possible to do accounting degree with just science/maths A Levels. Just finished my first year doing A&F and I enjoy it
jessop140
Rep:
?
(Original post by mrjowanna)
I was exactly in the same position as you, I wanted to do a biochemistry degree, and do accountancy afterwards. However after AS results I decided to apply for an accounting degree, I didn't do any Economics/business studies/accounting A Levels, so it is definitely possible to do accounting degree with just science/maths A Levels. Just finished my first year doing A&F and I enjoy it
Thank you for the advice. I'm just a bit anxious about whether I would actually enjoy as it's hard to tell if I would enjoy it from just a uni spec. Would you be able to tell me what you enjoy about it and what's included in the course usually? What made you go for accounting and finance in the end? Did you like accounting, finance and economics subjects prior to the degree?
mrjowanna
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you for the advice. I'm just a bit anxious about whether I would actually enjoy as it's hard to tell if I would enjoy it from just a uni spec. Would you be able to tell me what you enjoy about it and what's included in the course usually? What made you go for accounting and finance in the end? Did you like accounting, finance and economics subjects prior to the degree?
So in first year, one of my modules was basically A Level economics, which is difficult to fit into 1 term without having done it before, but a lot of my course mates did economics a level so I managed to get help from them. Other modules were organisational behaviour, which covers how teams work, what is the best method to manage people etc. Another module lets you learn the basics of business law.
You also learn the basics of finance such as how a business raises money, stocks, shares, financial markets etc. There are also elements of group work and learning how to make your own business. You also obviously learn the basics of accounting and its concepts, it's similar to A level accounting if you want to have a look at the textbooks. In addition, there is also some statistics but it's similar to that in S1, S2, D1. So if you're unsure whether you like accounting I would recommend looking at economics and accounting textbooks as you learn similar content in first year.
I think a lot of courses in unis for accounting are pretty similar to allow exemptions from professional accounting exams

I really enjoyed it because the course content is so varied, and i know that what I learn will be relevant to my future career, as well as finance being such a big part of the world today. The course obviously lets you have a career in finance/accountancy which is stable and can be well paid. Before uni, it was hard to tell whether I liked accounting/economics tbh because I was never really exposed to it, but I did have an interest in finance and business and wanted to learn more about it; I also had a look at accounting A level textbook to see what I was applying to.
In the end, I went for accounting because I found out I didn't really enjoy chemistry, and I didn't really like lab work, so a science degree wasn't ideal for me. But I definitely recommend looking at economics or accounting textbooks to make sure you will enjoy it
OwlOfFire
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
From what I have heard at university open days and talks, is that life science degrees are very valuable, regardless of what you do with them. If you have a degree in a life science it doesn't just lead you into science research or a science based career, it opens many doors. Employees value a life science degree and it can help you even if you are not sure you want to continue with a science career. It's simply a way of saying your degree will hold value no matter what you do.
jessop140
Rep:
?
(Original post by mrjowanna)
So in first year, one of my modules was basically A Level economics, which is difficult to fit into 1 term without having done it before, but a lot of my course mates did economics a level so I managed to get help from them. Other modules were organisational behaviour, which covers how teams work, what is the best method to manage people etc. Another module lets you learn the basics of business law.
You also learn the basics of finance such as how a business raises money, stocks, shares, financial markets etc. There are also elements of group work and learning how to make your own business. You also obviously learn the basics of accounting and its concepts, it's similar to A level accounting if you want to have a look at the textbooks. In addition, there is also some statistics but it's similar to that in S1, S2, D1. So if you're unsure whether you like accounting I would recommend looking at economics and accounting textbooks as you learn similar content in first year.
I think a lot of courses in unis for accounting are pretty similar to allow exemptions from professional accounting exams

I really enjoyed it because the course content is so varied, and i know that what I learn will be relevant to my future career, as well as finance being such a big part of the world today. The course obviously lets you have a career in finance/accountancy which is stable and can be well paid. Before uni, it was hard to tell whether I liked accounting/economics tbh because I was never really exposed to it, but I did have an interest in finance and business and wanted to learn more about it; I also had a look at accounting A level textbook to see what I was applying to.
In the end, I went for accounting because I found out I didn't really enjoy chemistry, and I didn't really like lab work, so a science degree wasn't ideal for me. But I definitely recommend looking at economics or accounting textbooks to make sure you will enjoy it
Thanks for such a thorough reply!! Last question haha would you say it is a hard degree given that I have not studied anything remotely like it? My a levels are chemistry, human bio, maths and an as in further maths.
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, a lot of grad schemes have routes where you can gain different accountancy qualifications. Most will have a requirement for UCAS points and degree class, but aren't concerned with your actual degree subject. Search for pwc or kpmg graduate schemes as an example and look at the entry requirements.
mrjowanna
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for such a thorough reply!! Last question haha would you say it is a hard degree given that I have not studied anything remotely like it? My a levels are chemistry, human bio, maths and an as in further maths.
That's alright I did similar A Levels to you so it was hard at the beginning learning the concepts but as long as you go over anything you are confused about, ask anyone for help and not let the work pile up too much (haha) it's ok
A lot of my friends didn't do economics or accounting a level before so it is doable
good luck with whatever you decide on in the end
Wung Alain bong
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Had biology and chemistry and want to do biochem and accounting
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (218)
70.32%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
18.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
10.97%

Watched Threads