Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
hi
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by myfriendchopin)
So I'm a 17yr old girl and I have met and been talking to someone online everyday for almost 4months. He has been such an amazing part of my life all of this time. From his first message, we immediately clicked. He was fascinated with Australia (where I am from) and I dream of studying in Germany (this is his home!)
There is a slight problem in this scenario however, my parents hate the Internet with a passion. They have theories that the government is spying on us through our cams and all of this crazy stuff. So naturally, I am unable to tell them about my online interactions.
Now as luck would have it, I have recently won a piano competition which has allowed me to progress to a venue in Berlin in December. And the first thing that came to mind when I found out was that I was finally able to meet him. I will be going with my mother and I fear that her watchful eye and strict parenting ways will prevent me from doing so.
I really love my parents. I don't want to lie to them ever. But I also really love this pretzel eating perfection and I can't live with the fact that that beautiful, pixelated face will remain only on my Skype when I will be so close to him so soon.
It is out of the question to tell my mum and dad of how we met. It is not in their nature to understand it and it's almost inconsiderate on my part to do so. Apologies for such a hideous essay but I guess I just really wanted anyone's advice. It would be greatly appreciated if you could forward this to anyone that you know that has experienced anything like this also.
Thank you so much.
Will he meet you?
Do you know what he looks like?
Will you have any time to get away?
How strict are your parents?

How would they react if you said you had a pen friend? Less threatening? Think of another reason that is non internet related plus seems natural.
Maybe you could engineer a meeting and suggest he was a contestant or relative of one?
Is there any religious reason your parents are so protective?
Presumably he understands why it might be difficult, but not impossible or are your parents unlikely to let you out of their sight?
Things on the internet can be very intense and as fast as they start they can end, so keep your feet on the ground.

Well done for the competition. You must be very talented.
myfriendchopin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Will he meet you?
Do you know what he looks like?
Will you have any time to get away?
How strict are your parents?

How would they react if you said you had a pen friend? Less threatening? Think of another reason that is non internet related plus seems natural.
Maybe you could engineer a meeting and suggest he was a contestant or relative of one?
Is there any religious reason your parents are so protective?
Presumably he understands why it might be difficult, but not impossible or are your parents unlikely to let you out of their sight?
Things on the internet can be very intense and as fast as they start they can end, so keep your feet on the ground.

Well done for the competition. You must be very talented.
Hello 999tigger, thank you for the message
He wants to meet me yes. Even if it means seeing each other from a distance only.
I do know what he looks like. We video call every single day!
I will not have time to leave my parents' sight due to their protective nature.
They are incredibly stricttt
They would not be amused with a pen friend either...
I could suggest his association with the competition but they'd find out sooner or later that he doesn't have any musical ability and we also don't want to lie to them.
No religious reasons, normal Christian parents
He understands the situation and we are so stuck! Coming up with a plan seems impossible because my parents would never leave me alone in a foreign country.
I am definitely weary of Internet relationship consequences but I feel as though he has changed my life for the better and he's even half way across the world

Thank you so much ^^ your assistance is greatly appreciated!
Anonymous #1
Report 3 years ago
Wow, this is really tricky! First of all, it sounds like you have an amazing relationship and second, you sound very talented.
I have no experience of this, but I've been pondering this for a day. Hmm.
Maybe it would worth exploring the pen pal option? Maybe send him a few physical letters if your parents don't like/trust the Internet? How long are you there for? How long do you have before the trip?
He seems like a very understanding guy. It's really hard lying to your parents, but maybe for now it's necessary. Perhaps you could tell them you want a local Berlin contact seeing it's a different country and you got in touch. It sounds silly though. Sorry. I'm stumped. Sorry for all the questions.
Good luck!
I hope to hear that it goes well.
- Soph
myfriendchopin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Wow, this is really tricky! First of all, it sounds like you have an amazing relationship and second, you sound very talented.
I have no experience of this, but I've been pondering this for a day. Hmm.
Maybe it would worth exploring the pen pal option? Maybe send him a few physical letters if your parents don't like/trust the Internet? How long are you there for? How long do you have before the trip?
He seems like a very understanding guy. It's really hard lying to your parents, but maybe for now it's necessary. Perhaps you could tell them you want a local Berlin contact seeing it's a different country and you got in touch. It sounds silly though. Sorry. I'm stumped. Sorry for all the questions.
Good luck!
I hope to hear that it goes well.
- Soph
Hey Soph
thank you for all the time, concern and support. Your message really made my day! indeed this is trickyyy
so unfortunately, my parents would not be amused with even a penpal (
I am in berlin for one week in December, so I have a few months to think of something!
yes, my guy is so great. He really thinks about how my parents would feel about things and has stopped me from lying to them as much as possible because in the end, he wants to meet them eventually and get their blessings for our relationship.
youre message was much appreciated and youre too kind <3
take care,
Miki
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (41)
14.39%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (92)
32.28%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (36)
12.63%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (24)
8.42%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.96%
I think it's an unfair expectation (72)
25.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.05%

Watched Threads