Australia's plus-sized model

Watch this thread
yudothis
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-40809897

I don't get fat people. They want to eat what they want, look unattractive to many people, but still expect to not be called out for it?

Or this:
"With it being normal to be overweight in our community and so many - 28% of Australians being obese - it is quite offensive to say that obese people should not be on a catwalk," he said.
Sad to think that a scientist has such *****y logic. Something bad isn't any less bad just because it's common.

On a side note, good that they are moving away from skeletal models.
Ninja Squirrel
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
It isn't glorifying obesity anymore than super skinny girls who are models are glorifying anorexia. Ultimately the models are there to show off the clothing and if the clothing company want obese women to show off their clothes then that is their choice.
yudothis
Rep:
(Original post by Command&Conquer)
It isn't glorifying obesity anymore than super skinny girls who are models are glorifying anorexia. Ultimately the models are there to show off the clothing and if the clothing company want obese women to show off their clothes then that is their choice.
In regards to skinny, this has been done to death and shown that social media is terrible on young girls in making them feel about their body. Going from super skinny to obese is no different.

You are right, it's a private company, they can do whatever the hell they want as long as it is legal.

But this is a debate forum, we are allowed to debate whether they should or not.

I wonder why "fat shaming" exists but "healthy BMI shaming" does not. Maybe it is because healthy people know there is nothing wrong with them and saying things wouldn't really have an affect.

ps I do want to add that at the same time I don't think going around bullying fat people is ok. But stating facts isn't bullying. And the facts are that obesity is one of the worst diseases humanity is facing.
username1801813
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I'm sorry but who tf are you, or anyone, to "call someone out" for being fat?
like, mind your own damn business if they want to eat themselves to death, that's a matter that doesn't concern you. like, at all.
yudothis
Rep:
(Original post by hamzakalinle)
I'm sorry but who tf are you, or anyone, to "call someone out" for being fat?
like, mind your own damn business if they want to eat themselves to death, that's a matter that doesn't concern you. like, at all.
It concerns all of us since it has become a health epidemic and costs billions yearly.

And I can turn that around - you want the right to be obese? Well plenty of people want the right to voice their disgust about obesity.
username2750226
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
People should have the right to be obese (as ridiculous as that sounds) but they certainly should not have a 'right' to healthcare.
Healthcare is a privilege, not a right.
spidle
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It's true, the NHS are spending a lot of money because of obesity. The NHS is also government funded from our taxes so it is our concern
username1801813
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yudothis)
It concerns all of us since it has become a health epidemic and costs billions yearly.

And I can turn that around - you want the right to be obese? Well plenty of people want the right to voice their disgust about obesity.
bro, you've not understood what I said.

I didn't say to not be concerned, what bothers me is the notion that people think they the right to "call them out" about it. it's their body.
be concerned idc about that.

you can voice your disgust about obesity (although obesity isn't what I was talking about but it's cool) but to directly address obese people and "call them out" - that can't run, not in my opinion anyway.

sure, educate them about the health risks etc but they can do whatever they like with their body. simple as. regardless of whether or not it f*cks the NHS over or not, however sh*tty that may be.

just carry on with your life and keep it moving.
username2393237
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lw8)
People should have the right to be obese (as ridiculous as that sounds) but they certainly should not have a 'right' to healthcare.
Healthcare is a privilege, not a right.
It's a privilege in America, but not here. Obesity does cost the NHS, but where would it end if you stopped treating people due to their choices? Smoking, drinking etc etc.
yudothis
Rep:
(Original post by hamzakalinle)
bro, you've not understood what I said.

I didn't say to not be concerned, what bothers me is the notion that people think they the right to "call them out" about it. it's their body.
be concerned idc about that.

you can voice your disgust about obesity (although obesity isn't what I was talking about but it's cool) but to directly address obese people and "call them out" - that can't run, not in my opinion anyway.

sure, educate them about the health risks etc but they can do whatever they like with their body. simple as. regardless of whether or not it f*cks the NHS over or not, however sh*tty that may be.

just carry on with your life and keep it moving.
I don't generally "call out" obese people, so I don't know what your issue is.
difeo
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
It's a privilege in America, but not here. Obesity does cost the NHS, but where would it end if you stopped treating people due to their choices? Smoking, drinking etc etc.
The tax revenue from smoking and drinking covers their cost to the NHS. It's not as easy to do the same for obesity but fat people should face higher taxes too in some way.
yudothis
Rep:
(Original post by difeo)
The tax revenue from smoking and drinking covers their cost to the NHS. It's not as easy to do the same for obesity but fat people should face higher taxes too in some way.
Are there studies on this? I find it hard to believe that the taxes on alcohol and cigarettes really do cover the overall cost of healthcare problems created by these two activities. But even if not, at least it's a direct measure to counteract these two things. As you say, different for obesity.
username2393237
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
That would probably just be extra tax on junk food, which would punish everyone.
yudothis
Rep:
(Original post by YaliaV)
That would probably just be extra tax on junk food, which would punish everyone.
Cheat day would suck.
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
We use models to promote all kinds of unhealthy **** through advertising so it does seems a bit much to complain about a few being overweight.
thedevotchka
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by difeo)
There's the 'sugar tax' but I don't think that actually has much of an impact, other than the fact that you can't get regular pepsi in Pizza Hut anymore.
ScarletCelestia
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I think this is a good move. The diversities of the human body is not replicated in that of the modelling industry. Portraying only Barbie-doll figures is unhealthy for the young girls and women that are only shown this. There is no normal in body shape. By showing something other than anorexic-looking bodies then even if one girl is stopped from a potentially threating weight loss, I'm all for plus size models.
yudothis
Rep:
(Original post by ScarletCelestia)
I think this is a good move. The diversities of the human body is not replicated in that of the modelling industry. Portraying only Barbie-doll figures is unhealthy for the young girls and women that are only shown this. There is no normal in body shape. By showing something other than anorexic-looking bodies then even if one girl is stopped from a potentially threating weight loss, I'm all for plus size models.
No, you're all hypocrisy. You criticize showing anorexic models, but are happy for obese models, just in the name of diversity.

In addition, there is nothing "normal" about being obese. It may be more and more common but that doesn't make it "normal".

Btw I am all for models that are neither anorexic nor obese.
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yudothis)
No, you're all hypocrisy. You criticize showing anorexic models, but are happy for obese models, just in the name of diversity.

In addition, there is nothing "normal" about being obese. It may be more and more common but that doesn't make it "normal".

Btw I am all for models that are neither anorexic nor obese.
What do you think about models being used to sell things like alcohol?
yudothis
Rep:
(Original post by the beer)
What do you think about models being used to sell things like alcohol?
Clever marketing. Do I think it's a good thing? No.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.74%
The paper was reasonable (192)
48.73%
Not feeling great about that exam... (100)
25.38%
It was TERRIBLE (40)
10.15%

Watched Threads