The Student Room Group

Homophobic people - why?

First of all, I'm a conservative/libertarian (that happens to be gay), so don't think I'm some whining liberal that's going to call you names for being homophobic, i'm not. I want a genuine discussion.

What is it exactly that you don't approve of/why do you dislike homosexual people, for being just that, homosexual. It's something I've never understood. I've never in my time heard a valid reason for disagreeing with homosexuality or homosexual behaviour, I'd love to hear a valid argument.

Believe it or not, it is not something we choose, whilst i personally do not believe it to be genetic, rather 'nurture' over 'nature' (from personal experience), we still don't 'choose' to be homosexual, trust me. Even if we did, why would it be a problem? Why exactly does it matter when it literally doesn't effect your life in the slightest.

The only reasons I've found so far that make people homophobic;
1) Religious reasons (completely irrational imo)
2) Internalised homophobia (homophobic person is secretly gay themselves)

Disclaimer: I respect anyone's views on this matter and if you genuinely do not approve of homosexuality, i'm fine with that, i just want to know exactly why you have a problem with it.

Scroll to see replies

I don't get it either. You're right that it isn't a choice, and I doubt it's genetic either (after all, homosexuals can't reproduce and pass on any "gay genes" without treatment like IVF which has only existed for 40 years or so). It falls under my standard rule of thumb: don't judge people for things they can't control.
Original post by TheMindGarage
I don't get it either. You're right that it isn't a choice, and I doubt it's genetic either (after all, homosexuals can't reproduce and pass on any "gay genes" without treatment like IVF which has only existed for 40 years or so). It falls under my standard rule of thumb: don't judge people for things they can't control.

Would you say that being straight is not genetic either? How about intelligence? There is no intelligence gene yet a large component of intelligence is genetic.Being gay is probably not down to just one gene.Genes don't work like that.Lots of genes are only active in certain environments or working in tandem with other gene's.Some gene's do code for certain things like eye colour but I doubt being gay can be pinned down to just one gene.Thats a misconception.
I dont mind people being gay, but when they are annoying and when their personality is primarily "gay" then that gets annoying, just go be gay but you dont need to be all in my face
In my experience it tends to mainly be religious influence.

:pride:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Robby2312
Would you say that being straight is not genetic either? How about intelligence? There is no intelligence gene yet a large component of intelligence is genetic.Being gay is probably not down to just one gene.Genes don't work like that.Lots of genes are only active in certain environments or working in tandem with other gene's.Some gene's do code for certain things like eye colour but I doubt being gay can be pinned down to just one gene.Thats a misconception.

It wouldn't be one gene because as I said, it wouldn't be possible for it to be passed on.
I get homophobia and as a gay myself I've managed to make a fair few homophobic friends. The main reasons why they dislike homosexuality is because either they're worried they'll get hit on, which would emasculate them, or they dislike the OTT homosexuals. All of the homophobes I've befriend were really nice people, didn't care that I was gay once I'd assured I wasn't into them and were mostly against the idea, not the people.
It wouldn't be one gene because as I said, it wouldn't be possible for it to be passed on.

That's not true though is it? In the past lots of gay men would have got married because they had to do they would pass it on that way.Plus have you heard of recessive genes? By your logic we would not have diseases like cystic fibrosis.
Reply 8
It's a good question. Can't be all about religion, evil and insidious though this influence can be. Seems to originate from a general intolerance where minorities are victimised and for a long period of time it was institutionalised to a massive extent. Glad that I have lived at the time where the tide has turned.
Because people need to worry about the lives of others instead of getting on with their own.
Original post by Robby2312
That's not true though is it? In the past lots of gay men would have got married because they had to do they would pass it on that way.Plus have you heard of recessive genes? By your logic we would not have diseases like cystic fibrosis.

But they wouldn't have been able to have children even if they could marry. Yes, perhaps it could be recessive and therefore have carriers, but in any case, we agree that there isn't a single gene.
But they wouldn't have been able to have children even if they could marry. Yes, perhaps it could be recessive and therefore have carriers, but in any case, we agree that there isn't a single gene.

Erm yeah they would've.Homosexuals can have children with women you know.There is nothing preventing that.Just like anyone can have sex with someone they're not attracted to.Also there is a thing called bisexuality.
Original post by AperfectBalance
I dont mind people being gay, but when they are annoying and when their personality is primarily "gay" then that gets annoying, just go be gay but you dont need to be all in my face

So you're essentially annoyed by people... being themselves?
It's just human behaviour, it's fear of something that is not behaviour found in the majority of humans. Homosexual people are still a minority and because sexual behaviour is very crucial to human behaviour, some people still see them as sexual deviants.

Humans are weird and we are still animals and we fear things that are foreign to ourselves. This is my understanding, speaking as a former homophobe.
I always try to promote free speech. So, whilst I would never approve of homophobia, I would never tell someone they can't share homophobic views because that's their right. I have no idea why someone would be against the LGBT community and deny them their rights, but I guess some people just don't agree with it. I don't agree with public breast feeding and wouldn't like to see it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to stop someone from doing it.
Reply 15
I don't believe in gay genes, I was married once and didn't discover my gay identity until my early twenties. I also have a daughter who is heterosexual and happily married with a son.
Original post by Durhamgirl96
I don't agree with public breast feeding and wouldn't like to see it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to stop someone from doing it.

Why?
Reply 17
I believe being different is a unique good thing, life would be boring if everyone was the same I'm glad I have got many aspects to my personality, being gay is just a small aspect. Some gay people are artistic, musical and talented in many fields similarly to straight people, we are all human after all.
Original post by Conceited
Why?

I just don't like to see it, but it's not as if I would go out of my way to belittle women who do it. I'm entitled to my opinion, although it's not one shared by the majority. It was just an example.
Original post by Durhamgirl96
I just don't like to see it, but it's not as if I would go out of my way to belittle women who do it. I'm entitled to my opinion, although it's not one shared by the majority. It was just an example.

i'm the same actually.

regarding homosexuality, @lw8, i have no issues with it. political influence can get pretty dodgy, so i often go against the arguments for gay marriage as the arguments usually end up with churches being forced to facilitate marriages, which i don't think is right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending