The Student Room Group

Taking a step back?

I'm a 19 year old guy, turning 20 in four days. I finished college last year (spent three years there) and achieved a B in Business, and a C in both history and photography. I also got a distinction * in Btec Business, but that was not the whole certificate. I'm thinking of starting an electrician apprenticeship this September. My main worry I've got is that I think I will be taking a step back from where I already am. Most people start trade apprenticeships at the age of 16 and would normally complete them by the time that I would be starting it. As well as this most people who undertake these apprenticeships don't have a lot of GCSE's, let alone any A-levels. Saying this, I know that many people in the construction trade are great are what they do, so i' not trying to undermine them in anyway. My two other options I am thinking of are university, and becoming an engineer in the Navy. Only problem is that I am not sure what I want to study at University, and whilst the Navy does have it's benefits, there are also huge flaws to it.
Sorry the text is a bit all over the place, just very confused on what to do and have so many points to get across.
Any advice or points from people would be appreciated big time.
Original post by 3ddiet
I'm a 19 year old guy, turning 20 in four days. I finished college last year (spent three years there) and achieved a B in Business, and a C in both history and photography. I also got a distinction * in Btec Business, but that was not the whole certificate. I'm thinking of starting an electrician apprenticeship this September. My main worry I've got is that I think I will be taking a step back from where I already am. Most people start trade apprenticeships at the age of 16 and would normally complete them by the time that I would be starting it. As well as this most people who undertake these apprenticeships don't have a lot of GCSE's, let alone any A-levels. Saying this, I know that many people in the construction trade are great are what they do, so i' not trying to undermine them in anyway. My two other options I am thinking of are university, and becoming an engineer in the Navy. Only problem is that I am not sure what I want to study at University, and whilst the Navy does have it's benefits, there are also huge flaws to it.
Sorry the text is a bit all over the place, just very confused on what to do and have so many points to get across.
Any advice or points from people would be appreciated big time.

since you're thinking about going the navy as an engineer. is that an area that you're particularly interested in?
Reply 2
Original post by Tanisha.forde
since you're thinking about going the navy as an engineer. is that an area that you're particularly interested in?

Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it. There's three routes of engineering in the Navy, and the most appealing was the Air Engineering Technician. I mean it looks quite interesting to be fair. I think engineering jobs are going to be "The future", so that my main thinking behind taking it up. My cousin is an air engineering technician and my Grandad really wants me to do it, so you could also say they persuading me as well.
Original post by 3ddiet
Thanks for the quick reply, appreciate it. There's three routes of engineering in the Navy, and the most appealing was the Air Engineering Technician. I mean it looks quite interesting to be fair. I think engineering jobs are going to be "The future", so that my main thinking behind taking it up. My cousin is an air engineering technician and my Grandad really wants me to do it, so you could also say they persuading me as well.

okay so engineering seems like a definite for you but you have to remember at the end of the day this YOUR life so the ultimate decision shouldn't come from anyone else apart from you. I know that you mind must be going at 100 miles an hour but just be sure that whatever choice you make leaves you happy and with no regrets
Original post by 3ddiet

What about the Navy is putting you off?
It seems like you have put great thought into joining the Navy and it does provide a good path for you. You are bright and have good grades, which will stand you in good stead.

What is making you consider an apprenticeship for becoming an electrician?

Have you talked to your family about what steps you should take next?
Reply 6
Original post by medblrintraining
What about the Navy is putting you off?

i don't know if deep down I would fear the sudden change of the comfort of home life to then living in a ship. Saying that I'm not overly happy with my home life, but I still have doubts about navy life. Also I've never been a huge fan of the armed forces in general. I think the biggest thing that's putting me off is how long term it is and I also associate the disciplined nature as not being able to have fun. That was a hard question to answer, struggling to think of strings reasons why I'm put off...
Reply 7
Original post by cheesecakelove
It seems like you have put great thought into joining the Navy and it does provide a good path for you. You are bright and have good grades, which will stand you in good stead.

What is making you consider an apprenticeship for becoming an electrician?

Have you talked to your family about what steps you should take next?

I like the practical side of being an electrician. I've always known that I'm more suited to a job which isn't in the standard office. Being an electrician is a trade that is always needed, and a great skill to have. It is a skill which would allow you to travel anywhere. The earning potential isn't out of this world, but is still decent I guess.
My family aren't great when it comes to this sort of stuff. My dad lives elsewhere so I find I can't really have a solid discussion with him about it, due to infrequently I see him. And he's happy with me taking my time with what I want to do. My mum has a lot of ongoing problems in her life, so having chats about what I want to do is sort of the last thing on her mind. My mum I think just wants me to jump straight into something as I've spent the past 2 years now "confused as what I want to do"...
I only ask because I think when weighing up your choices you need to properly think about why - when the Navy could provide a solid employment in an area you'd enjoy - you are holding back. It's not a bad thing! I think for you, whilst this sudden change would be scary, it might be good for you and give you perspective on what you want from your life. It may be worth exploring properly!

Original post by 3ddiet
i don't know if deep down I would fear the sudden change of the comfort of home life to then living in a ship. Saying that I'm not overly happy with my home life, but I still have doubts about navy life. Also I've never been a huge fan of the armed forces in general. I think the biggest thing that's putting me off is how long term it is and I also associate the disciplined nature as not being able to have fun. That was a hard question to answer, struggling to think of strings reasons why I'm put off...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending