ACA- At top 10 firm- so boring?? reconsidering accountancy

So i am at a top 10 accounting firm

pay is ok for a graduate,

but i hate the job

the college/exams are ok

but the auditing and basic number crunching is really boring

i am worried after aca i will be STUCK in audit

any help/advice...

I am thinking of quitting as soon as possible... but not sure what else to go into
Industry?
Reply 2
There are lots of points that you probably need to consider first.

How long do you have left until you qualify? Can you stick it out until you qualify? Its probably better to have the qualification than not have it. No reason you cant leave once you have it and no reason it will limit you to staying in audit.
Do you have to make any repayments for exams you've taken if you drop out early?
Do you need to be earning money? Or is it plausible that you could just quit completely without having anything else lined up?
How are you going to decide what area you would prefer to work in?
How strong is your CV? If you drop out now, is your CV going to be strong enough to get you in to the area you eventually decide on?
Reply 3
but im not training in top 4 ..so my options for industry will be more limited i think

also in industry aren't the roles ..financial accounting/management accounting roles.. not to different from audit tbh imo

any one had a similar expereince in training but is now happy in industry

also i wont get in to the big ftse companies as my firm is not big 4/6 firm
Reply 4
Original post by blue2125
but im not training in top 4 ..so my options for industry will be more limited i think

also in industry aren't the roles ..financial accounting/management accounting roles.. not to different from audit tbh imo

any one had a similar expereince in training but is now happy in industry

also i wont get in to the big ftse companies as my firm is not big 4/6 firm

Hi

I'm a big 4 trained ACA working in industry. To my knowledge the vast majority of practice trained accountants (at least from top 20 firms) move into industry at some point. I've seen plenty of job ads preferring firms outside the big 4 for experience. Why not find out what people in the years ahead of you have gone on to do?

In all seriousness Mgt and financial accounting in industry or government are very different from auditing, and there are other types of work available. Depending on the economy at the time you qualify you really shouldn't struggle to find a different job. The ICAEW have a fantastic advisor for newly qualifieds who I met when he was a recruitment consultant - they give some good advice about future pathways.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending