The Student Room Group

Is biking in London safe?

My parents are concerned that it could be very dangerous with accidents and also with theft/assault. I've read into Camberwell, the area where I'll be living in uni, and it apparently underwent a significant change from a shady area to a very student-friendly part due to the universities around it. And my British friends say that there are bike lanes everywhere and biking is fine in London. I just want to be biking around Camberwell and up towards Westminster/Soho. Is it really that dangerous or would I be able to bike with no problems?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by unistudent99
My parents are concerned that it could be very dangerous with accidents and also with theft/assault. I've read into Camberwell, the area where I'll be living in uni, and it apparently underwent a significant change from a shady area to a very student-friendly part due to the universities around it. And my British friends say that there are bike lanes everywhere and biking is fine in London. I just want to be biking around Camberwell and up towards Westminster/Soho. Is it really that dangerous or would I be able to bike with no problems?

Thank you :smile:

I'd say so - I live in London and I see people on their bikes on the road quite often. There are bike lanes, and also, I'm not sure if they're all still around, but there are actually council-made Barclays/Boris/Santander bikes for people to use, so cycling is definitely promoted in the city and it must be safe for the council to have accepted these schemes to be put into place.
It's fairly safe. Just make sure you wear a helmet (you don't have to, but advised) and perhaps have a quick glance at the cyclists' section in the Highway Code for hand signals etc. because as I'm sure you can imagine, London is exceptionally busy.

The cycle superhighways can be a bit narrow sometimes, so you might feel a bit cramped but it's perfectly safe. Also, make use of the advanced stop sections for cyclists.
Original post by marniedavies03
I'd say so - I live in London and I see people on their bikes on the road quite often. There are bike lanes, and also, I'm not sure if they're all still around, but there are actually council-made Barclays/Boris/Santander bikes for people to use, so cycling is definitely promoted in the city and it must be safe for the council to have accepted these schemes to be put into place.

Yeah, I saw many bikers and the council bikes as well during my visits, but I was just unsure of the general safety and experiences of bikers. Thanks for the info :smile:

Original post by Blue_Cow
It's fairly safe. Just make sure you wear a helmet (you don't have to, but advised) and perhaps have a quick glance at the cyclists' section in the Highway Code for hand signals etc. because as I'm sure you can imagine, London is exceptionally busy.

The cycle superhighways can be a bit narrow sometimes, so you might feel a bit cramped but it's perfectly safe. Also, make use of the advanced stop sections for cyclists.

Thanks for your response!
Original post by unistudent99
Yeah, I saw many bikers and the council bikes as well during my visits, but I was just unsure of the general safety and experiences of bikers. Thanks for the info :smile:

Thanks for your response!

No problem.

Have fun studying in London! Great city, I visit it regularly.
Original post by Blue_Cow
No problem.

Have fun studying in London! Great city, I visit it regularly.

Thanks! I'm so excited but terrified :biggrin: I've always loved London and I can't wait to explore it, a bike would definitely help :wink:
Reply 6
You should be fine, if you're careful. Don't ride up the sides of lorries or buses if they might be turning, for example. Also, do wear a helmet. Just in case.

In terms of student friendliness, you should be fine as long as you keep your wits about you. Watch out for phone snatchers and stuff like that, because's that's quite common compared to many other crimes.
You're less likely to be mugged on a bike since you're moving faster :smile: but I think you will be fine providing you're a confident rider. A lot of the deaths in London are either the result of cyclists doing dumb things like stopping in the blind spot of an HGV or due to poorly designed infrastructure. So you can avoid those risks by being a confident + assertive rider and understanding where the risks are/how to avoid them (e.g. if there is a bike lane with 10 cars parked at intervals down it, you don't weave in and out, you merge into the car lane for the duration). The key things to remember are 1. just because cycle infrastructure is there, doesn't mean it's the safest option, evaluate for yourself what will keep you safest and 2. always be very clear and confident about what you do, don't do a pathetic wavy indicate and then wave around unsure if people are stopping, indicate clearly and then start to merge, act like you deserve to be on the road and 3. always try and be predictable, indicate everything you want to do and if you make a mistake don't try and swerve to correct, wait til it's safe. There is still some risk and you should wear a helment, have lights at night etc but there is also a risk when out as a pedestrian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending